Gibson Brands Forums

Comparing the sound of my three guitars - Part 3

DanvillRob

Hey Rob, I love these sort of samples and comparisements.

Thanks for doing that as Ive had limited experience with each model.

I agree with you that they all sound quite different even though all coming from a relative 'bright' base with the koa and maple b/s.

My favourite was the Doves in flight as even though its made of maple I thought it had a really lovelly mellow warmth to the tone which is something im atracted to. This would be followed by the Koa and 79' Dove.

Do you personally have a favourite or do you love all your kids equally ? :-)

You have a great collection there !

Hey Rob, I love these sort of samples and comparisements.

Thanks for doing that as Ive had limited experience with each model.

I agree with you that they all sound quite different even though all coming from a relative 'bright' base with the koa and maple b/s.

My favourite was the Doves in flight as even though its made of maple I thought it had a really lovelly mellow warmth to the tone which is something im atracted to. This would be followed by the Koa and 79' Dove.

Do you personally have a favourite or do you love all your kids equally ? :-)

You have a great collection there !

Ya know.... I love the Dove 'cause my wife gave it to me as a gift back when we couldn't afford it....but for pure sound and playability.... the DIF is it.

The H'Bird is just too new....and DIFFERENT! I'm thinkin' over time, I'll feel different, and it'll "wear in".

I still like it a lot, but the DIF is simply "special".

Ya know.... I love the Dove 'cause my wife gave it to me as a gift back when we couldn't afford it....but for pure sound and playability.... the DIF is it.

The H'Bird is just too new....and DIFFERENT! I'm thinkin' over time, I'll feel different, and it'll "wear in".

I still like it a lot, but the DIF is simply "special".

So much fun to hear the comparisons--thanks for doing this! (It's fun to be put thru the paces once in awhile!)

I love the DIF; there's that unexpected warmth that the maple gives. But that Koa is special, too--it's sounds "new" to my ear, but man--it's got a beautiful, warm tone, too. That's a keeper, for sure.

The Dove sounds good, too, but it sounds stiffer to me than the other three...a little more "closed." Love the 'burst, though.

Fun stuff!! [thumbup]

So much fun to hear the comparisons--thanks for doing this! (It's fun to be put thru the paces once in awhile!)

I love the DIF; there's that unexpected warmth that the maple gives. But that Koa is special, too--it's sounds "new" to my ear, but man--it's got a beautiful, warm tone, too. That's a keeper, for sure.

The Dove sounds good, too, but it sounds stiffer to me than the other three...a little more "closed." Love the 'burst, though.

Fun stuff!! [thumbup]

Thanks, Anne. To my ear, the Dove is a boomer, but the DIF is much "warmer". The H'Bird sounds "immature" to me. Don't get me wrong, I love it.... and as Chris Martin says, this is the worst it'll ever sound.

I'm hoping it'll "break in" relatively soon. I'll get it to my luthier in a few months for a set-up and string change.

I would have liked to do all three in one take...but I kept screwing up one way or the other.....so I did 'em in three different takes.

Nice job Rob.

Thanks for taking the time to do all of that. And it's great to hear your beauties being played.

My favorite sounder is your DIF . . . . . . I'm partial to maple. B)

The wife was out of town for the weekend...so I had plenty of time to do it.

I've been wanting to do a comparison, but never seem to find the time.

I knew if anyone would appreciate the differences, it'd be those on the forum.

Doves In Flight comes in first – you can hear it's together.

H-Bird Koa – sounds good too. Those bass rolls in Hey Joe are strong.

'79 Dove – A bit thinner than the others as I hear it. Bet it's ideal for fast strumming. The burst is a hit.

I don't have all the years of experience you all have here on the forum

maby I'm deaf but here is my sequence :

79 Dove

DIF

HBIRD KOA

:) thanks Rob for sharing this

I 'thought ' I posted the same 'sequence' as you....Juan, you stole my thunder..... [smile]

I 'thought ' I posted the same 'sequence' as you....Juan, you stole my thunder..... [smile]

I appreciate all the input. Pretty much confirms my own beliefs.

If anyone wants to know the difference between new/old/REAL old guitars, these examples can be illustrative.

I tend to play the H'Bird first 'cause it's new, but find myself wanting to grab the DIF.

The Dove developed a buzz in the E-string. I had to re-wrap it on the tuning peg to do this demonstration.

It's got to go back to the luthier for correction, but it worked fine once I rewound it.

Archived