Gibson Brands Forums

Check out what I got to play.

Twiz

I think this is about a 1957 Les Paul Jr, in TV Yellow. -I'm still doing some research on the serial # for the exact year. It needs some work (new tuners, but that's it). A buddy of mine got this baby off of his uncle. Talk about cool! I strummed some chords, and it really sounded sweet. It is definitely the heaviest (literally) Les Paul I've played. Just a slab of good old mahogany. I only played for a minute because, well, I was nervous as &*%$ to mess it up.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, it's all I had at the time. I'm going to take some real photos with my camera. I'll post 'em when I get a chance.

IMG_3263.jpg

I think this is about a 1957 Les Paul Jr, in TV Yellow. -I'm still doing some research on the serial # for the exact year. It needs some work (new tuners, but that's it). A buddy of mine got this baby off of his uncle. Talk about cool! I strummed some chords, and it really sounded sweet. It is definitely the heaviest (literally) Les Paul I've played. Just a slab of good old mahogany. I only played for a minute because, well, I was nervous as &*%$ to mess it up.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, it's all I had at the time. I'm going to take some real photos with my camera. I'll post 'em when I get a chance.

IMG_3263.jpg

Very cool. The weight is unusual. Most of them are pretty light. Of course their individuality is part of their charm. If it is a '57 the serial # will start with a 7, then a space(sometimes a 0 or a 1) and then 4 more digits. It will be inked on the top of the back of the headstock. The first digit is the year. Although pot dates can sometimes be more accurate, the first digit in the serial # is generally considered to be its birth date. Can't wait to see some better pics. TV single cuts are my favorite Juniors.

Very cool. The weight is unusual. Most of them are pretty light. Of course their individuality is part of their charm. If it is a '57 the serial # will start with a 7, then a space(sometimes a 0 or a 1) and then 4 more digits. It will be inked on the top of the back of the headstock. The first digit is the year. Although pot dates can sometimes be more accurate, the first digit in the serial # is generally considered to be its birth date. Can't wait to see some better pics. TV single cuts are my favorite Juniors.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I guess to clarify on the weight thing, I only have an SG standard, and Les Paul Specials. This old JR was definitely heavier than my guitars! Cheers.

Archived