Gibson Brands Forums

My first Gibson Explorer

bigtim

Did not even know that this forum existed but wow lots of good information here. This is my first posting guys so hello to all of you axe heads out there. Well here is my story on this explorer. I saw a craigslist add for an explorer locally for $500 bucks and it said crummy paint job. So I called them and the guys wife brought it out to me. She even brought a little marshall for me to try it out on. Then she tells me "I know my husband said $500 bucks but if you want it I will let you have it for $400 bucks but I understand if you do not want to buy it as it looks so bad" I said sold. Well he was right about the paint job as it had runs in it and looked like crap. He even took sand paper and tried to expose the serial number. Well thank God he stopped while he was ahead. Anyways it used to be a heritage cherry and you can see by the pics how globby the krylon paint was on the neck and this is how the whole guitar was. I took it to a man who professionally stripped it down and after the stripping he exposed the serial number. Turns out to be a 1991. I took it back to the house and bought some wood stain and tung oil and I completed the rest of the finishing myself. He also made me a new pick guard out of clear plexiglass and I also painted it and finished it out myself. She is as smooth as a babys butt and boy does she play like a dream and scream too!!!! It has the EMG 81 and EMG 85 pick ups in it. Below are the before and after of it. The pics does not do it justice. I have had a les paul custom, fender strats and now my main axe was a carvin dc 135 until I got ahold of this Explorer. I was going to flip it and make a few bucks on it but not any more. I have about $520 bucks tied up in it total and to top it all off I got the gibson hardshell case with it included in the original $400.00 transaction!!!!! I am going to keep it now as I have to admit this is the absolute best playing axe I have ever owned. I am so proud of how it came out so when I found this forum I just had to post some pics of it. Hope you guys enjoy!!!!! bigtim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the kind compliments. I am very proud of how this has turned out and she plays as good as she looks too!!!!! Best playing guitar I have ever owned and maybe ever even played too!!!!!

Archived