Gibson Brands Forums

ES KING

Kineman Karma

Is that a Gibson Amp, If so what is it? [huh]

Kind of looks like a Fender Bassman. He was known for using them.

Maybe a Gibson GA-45T or a GA-83S ?

It most likely is a Gibson Super 400 like Scotty Moore used.

This is the two-tone version but it also came in tweedl

50s_Gibson_GA400_2Tone.jpg

What ever it is, I like it. Great video for the time it was shot.

Interesting, too....it appears to be a (Red) Gibson ES-340 w/bigsby he's playing, in that clip.

(Block inlays, multi-ply binding front and back, but NO headstock binding or split diamond inlay...so,

it's not a 355, that he often uses.) Then again, it could be a "one of kind" guitar, to Chuck's

spec's. Who knows? ;>b But, the closest model, to that, I could find,

was the ES-340. So...???

CB

• 1 month later...

Interesting, too....it appears to be a (Red) Gibson ES-340 w/bigsby he's playing, in that clip.

(Block inlays, multi-ply binding front and back, but NO headstock binding or split diamond inlay...so,

it's not a 355, that he often uses.) Then again, it could be a "one of kind" guitar, to Chuck's

spec's. Who knows? ;>b But, the closest model, to that, I could find,

was the ES-340. So...???

CB

There was no ES-340 when this video was recorded. The guitar he was using? Very simple- an ES-335 (post-1961).

There was no ES-340 when this video was recorded. The guitar he was using? Very simple- an ES-335 (post-1961).

Since the title on the video clip says it was made in 1958, that's not possible, unless this is Marty McFly rather than Chuck Berry (Remember the high school dance scene from "Back to the Future"?). If it is '58, the guitar doesn't have the right features for a first-year ES 335.

As far as the headstock goes, the ES 355 always had the split diamond headstock inlay, but the 345, when introduced in 1959, had the same simple headstock as the 335, according to my references.

"Maybellene" charted in 1955-56, so the 1958 reference on the clip sounds reasonable.

I'm not sure about the guitar, but for sure that's one dead audience that Chuck is trying to bring to life!

Since the title on the video clip says it was made in 1958, that's not possible, unless this is Marty McFly rather than Chuck Berry (Remember the high school dance scene from "Back to the Future"?). If it is '58, the guitar doesn't have the right features for a first-year ES 335.

As far as the headstock goes, the ES 355 always had the split diamond headstock inlay, but the 345, when introduced in 1959, had the same simple headstock as the 335, according to my references.

"Maybellene" charted in 1955-56, so the 1958 reference on the clip sounds reasonable.

I'm not sure about the guitar, but for sure that's one dead audience that Chuck is trying to bring to life!

I'm not sure I understand your post. You're not sure about the guitar? It's clearly an ES335 (post-dotneck, which puts it at 1962 or later). There's really no need to talk about 345's and 355's. It's very simple- the 1958 date on the video is incorrect! Chuck Berry is probably still playing "Maybellene" (at least I hope he is... not sure about his health and performing situation), so that has nothing to do with 1958 being more plausible. Besides myself, there are a number of guitar enthusiasts who added comments on that video to point out the date error.

I'm not sure I understand your post. You're not sure about the guitar? It's clearly an ES335 (post-dotneck, which puts it at 1962 or later). There's really no need to talk about 345's and 355's. It's very simple- the 1958 date on the video is incorrect! Chuck Berry is probably still playing "Maybellene" (at least I hope he is... not sure about his health and performing situation), so that has nothing to do with 1958 being more plausible. Besides myself, there are a number of guitar enthusiasts who added comments on that video to point out the date error.

After doing more research, the most plausible date for the video is 1965. That would appear to make the guitar, as you point out, a '62 or later block-neck ES 335.

I introduced the ES 345 and ES 335 into the equation because some had speculated on it, since the block-neck 335 was not introduced until 1962. And, because Chuck Berry is usually associated with the 355 or the 345 rather than the 335.

After doing more research, the most plausible date for the video is 1965. That would appear to make the guitar, as you point out, a '62 or later block-neck ES 335.

I wouldn't argue with 1965, but the way you're phrasing it still sounds a little odd to me (no offense intended). It's not necessary to know the date of the video in order to recognize that the guitar is a '62 or later block-neck ES 335. Recognizing the vintage of the guitar helps to date the video in this case, not the other way around. Anyway, mystery solved. [thumbup]

I wouldn't argue with 1965, but the way you're phrasing it still sounds a little odd to me (no offense intended). It's not necessary to know the date of the video in order to recognize that the guitar is a '62 or later block-neck ES 335. Recognizing the vintage of the guitar helps to date the video in this case, not the other way around. Anyway, mystery solved. [thumbup]

Not quite sure what you mean by that, but no offense taken. When I analyze things--which I do for a living--I try to look at all the variables. In this case, the guitar was just one of them.

The 1965 date came from an NPR discussion, from looking at the other songs in that particular performance, and from where Berry was touring in those particular years. The guitar fits in with the timeline, even though I was surprised to see him with a 335. The bling on his guitars seems to have gone up and down with his career fortunes.

And, by the way, I have several 335's of various vintages and types, so I understand the 335 timeline pretty well.

Not quite sure what you mean by that, but no offense taken. When I analyze things--which I do for a living--I try to look at all the variables. In this case, the guitar was just one of them.

Okay, I thought I was clear, but I'll say it again. When you said "...the most plausible date for the video is 1965. That would appear to make the guitar, as you point out, a '62 or later block-neck ES 335"... I found that an odd way to look at it. Discovering that 1965 is a plausible date does not "appear to make the guitar a post-1961 ES335" (we both knew that already, without knowing the exact year of the video). The features of the guitar are what make it appear (obviously) to be a post-1961 ES335, not the fact that we now have a plausible date for the video recording.

[unsure] Yes, and a LOT of people who upload videos to Youtube make errors. Since this is the GIBSON forums, where people are generally pretty knowledgeable about Gibson guitars, I'm sure that most of us saw the error almost immediately.

Archived