Gibson Brands Forums

What is the Best Tube Amp under a Grand suitable for a Les Paul

guitarhead

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this video and others like it many times, It was because of such videos I bought the C5, however, in my bedroom the C5 killed my ears to sound any thing like this video, I dont know what is this guy using to get this sweet sounds without being too loud.

I saw this video and others like it many times, It was because of such videos I bought the C5, however, in my bedroom the C5 killed my ears to sound any thing like this video, I dont know what is this guy using to get this sweet sounds without being too loud.

I as looking at the class 5 and tried the volume roll off tactic, but to get the crunch I was looking for, it needed to be well beyond bedroom levels ( I'm a multi platinum bedroom player), it just wasn't going to work without putting together a pedal board.

I bought a blackstar ht60 and it's way better IMO.

so a 5w 1x10 was too loud, but a 60w 2x12 wasn't? So I guess you'll never know what your amp actually sounds like with the power section working?

A lot of you guys must be looking for preamp gain and not understanding how non-master volume amps work. That doesn't make the Class 5 bad. Not to mention, the HT-60 retails at 899.99 at Musicians Friend. That's over 3.5 times what I paid for the C5 head. [lol]

so a 5w 1x10 was too loud, but a 60w 2x12 wasn't? So I guess you'll never know what your amp actually sounds like with the power section working?

A lot of you guys must be looking for preamp gain and not understanding how non-master volume amps work. That doesn't make the Class 5 bad. Not to mention, the HT-60 retails at 899.99 at Musicians Friend. That's over 3.5 times what I paid for the C5 head. [lol]

Maybe, the 60w amp has the features needed to gain and such on board, hence the ability to play at a lower volume, while the C5 the valume decides the tone.

The master volume is the key for me. I just told you that the c5 had to be cranked to get the overdriven tones which is too loud for the house.....on the ht60 I can crank the gain and channel volumes and keep the master low enough that I don't go def or break windows.

I have no issue per se with the C5, it just didn't fit my needs. I don't know why you find it necessary to slam anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Maybe, the 60w amp has the features needed to gain and such on board, hence the ability to play at a lower volume, while the C5 the valume decides the tone.

Yep, and it has 3 channels so I get clean, crunch and lead with a quick stomp.

Well i can vouch for egnater amps. I got the tweaker 88 a few months ago. This amp is simply amazing. Great tone loud as hell and it can play any style even metal. They have a number of low wattage models try some out.

If the class 5 on low power mode cranked is too loud for you, you should not be playing guitar

Who asked you who should or should not play guitar? It's trolls like you that make these forums disgusting.

The early Class Fives didn't have a power switch if I'm not mistaken. There are a lot of factors to consider when considering if an amp is too loud for a particular person. But since everyone has to play by your rules, you wouldn't know that. Why don't you just stay out of the conversation if you don't have anything to contribute? People play acoustic guitars, dude.

Duffy, simmer down, youre only making yourself look like an idiot. Dont tell me what i can and cant say, even if i have a blunt way of stating things, i am still entitled to my opinion. Let moderators police me, dont take it upon youself to censor me. I still stand by my previous statement.

Who asked you who should or should not play guitar? It's trolls like you that make these forums disgusting.

The early Class Fives didn't have a power switch if I'm not mistaken. There are a lot of factors to consider when considering if an amp is too loud for a particular person. But since everyone has to play by your rules, you wouldn't know that. Why don't you just stay out of the conversation if you don't have anything to contribute? People play acoustic guitars, dude.

I don't think the Class 5 has a "low power mode." Some people like the "headphone trick" to get lower volume, but the amp isn't designed for that, and there is no switch for low power (unless one was recently added).

If the class 5 on low power mode cranked is too loud for you, you should not be playing guitar

On the contrary I felt the low power mode "nerfed" it too much. It was too low as it was really, basically headphone volume and I wanted more than that. There was no in between on the amp.

Well i can vouch for egnater amps. I got the tweaker 88 a few months ago. This amp is simply amazing. Great tone loud as hell and it can play any style even metal. They have a number of low wattage models try some out.

I was leaning towards a tweeter 40 before I found blackstar. They are really nice sounding solid amps as well.

i'm not slamming anyone. I am merely questioning the logic of some of the posts in this thread. For example, why recommend a Deluxe Reverb to a guy who says the C5 is too loud?

Another question, if the C5 is too loud....did you play it before you bought it? If you wanted a 3 channel amp, then why did you buy the c5? Going from a 5w non-MV to a 60w 2x12, channel switching MV amp is a pretty big jump. Do you play out a lot and thus need a big tube combo? If not, you spent $900 on an amp that you will never know what it actually sounds like. I don't get that.

Seems to me an OD pedal would have solved the problem. A Boss SD-1 is what like $50?

i'm not slamming anyone. I am merely questioning the logic of some of the posts in this thread. For example, why recommend a Deluxe Reverb to a guy who says the C5 is too loud?

Another question, if the C5 is too loud....did you play it before you bought it? If you wanted a 3 channel amp, then why did you buy the c5? Going from a 5w non-MV to a 60w 2x12, channel switching MV amp is a pretty big jump. Do you play out a lot and thus need a big tube combo? If not, you spent $900 on an amp that you will never know what it actually sounds like. I don't get that.

Seems to me an OD pedal would have solved the problem. A Boss SD-1 is what like $50?

when it comes to certain things, logic goes out the window....especially when you're talking about big boy toys like guitars and amps. lol

I only speak for myself, but yes I did try out a lot of amps. I never bought the C5, but I tried it out several times in a few different stores during my research. I wasn't necessarily jumping from a one channel amp to a 3 channel amp, I sort of set out to look for a 2 or 3 channel amp from the get go. I had a Marshall Valvestate VS265 that I really loved and it crapped out on me so I was in search for something similar in terms of features and sound (I know a blackstar isn't a Marhsall tone, so don't go there...lol...but I could not find a Marshall combo that I liked in my budget). I figured I would try out the C5 because it was a Marshall and it was affordable. I liked the tone, but again the volume was an issue for me.

I do not play out at all...not to say that I never will....I dont right now and haven't to this point. I think you have a misconception that you have to fully crank a tube amp to get the full effect, which isn't true. If it was, then you'd understand why the C5 was too loud for me. With the blackstar, I have channel volumes to get the saturation you're eluding to, but with a master volume, I can back it off to comfortable home levels, which is to say loud enough to enjoy it, but not go def or have the police at my door, although I dont give a F about my neighbors anyway so I drive it plenty. When I say the C5 was too loud, I'm talking moreso for practice when wifey is home. I wouldn't have been able to play on the same level of the house with that amp whereas my blackstar I can be in the same room and it doesn't bother her, in fact she actually enjoys some background music while she cleans the house. :)

oh and lastly, I did not pay $899 for the amp. I paid $699. I got a nice deal because I bought a new guitar not too long before the amp and I got them to give me a nice discount. So that was another deciding factor.

On some forum, recently, I saw where some guy is getting rid of his Stage 60 because he can't get the real good clean sound he is looking for.

I would never get rid of the Stage 60 because of that. I'd get a second amp like a Fender Super Champ XD/X2 for my cleans; or better yet, a Blues Jr., or a DRRI.

I think those Stage 60 amps are awesome and the overdrive sounds are awesome. I can get some tones out of that amp with any guitar that are just beautiful. I think you did well getting that amp and I bet it is more than all kinds of fun. You might want to get a Dimarzio bridge full sized humbucking "Super Distortion" pickup for one of your guitars. I have one and it sounds great thru my amps, especially my high gain and ultra high gain amps. I would recommend one to anyone. In fact that pickup might be enough to push a smaller amp into El Dorado.

I don't mind preamp distortion on a good amp like that either. Some of my amps have six preamp tubes. That allows for a lot of tone shaping. Power tube distortion is great for when you want to really blow the doors out, and it is definitely exhilerating and fun. In any half way loud band a powerful amp like the Stage 60 should be able to run with the rest of the crew, which is good, because if you have an underpowered amp the drummer, etc., might just yell at you to get a "real amp", and you might not have a place in the band. I think it is always good to have at least one powerful stage quality amp, especially one that you can turn down to very beautiful house volume levels. These are not always easy to find - such as in my Hot Rod Deluxe that goes from no sound to very loud with just the slightest adjustment of the volume knob. It is a very nice amp though for moderate to super loud use.

On some forum, recently, I saw where some guy is getting rid of his Stage 60 because he can't get the real good clean sound he is looking for.

I would never get rid of the Stage 60 because of that. I'd get a second amp like a Fender Super Champ XD/X2 for my cleans; or better yet, a Blues Jr., or a DRRI.

I think those Stage 60 amps are awesome and the overdrive sounds are awesome. I can get some tones out of that amp with any guitar that are just beautiful. I think you did well getting that amp and I bet it is more than all kinds of fun. You might want to get a Dimarzio bridge full sized humbucking "Super Distortion" pickup for one of your guitars. I have one and it sounds great thru my amps, especially my high gain and ultra high gain amps. I would recommend one to anyone. In fact that pickup might be enough to push a smaller amp into El Dorado.

I don't mind preamp distortion on a good amp like that either. Some of my amps have six preamp tubes. That allows for a lot of tone shaping. Power tube distortion is great for when you want to really blow the doors out, and it is definitely exhilerating and fun. In any half way loud band a powerful amp like the Stage 60 should be able to run with the rest of the crew, which is good, because if you have an underpowered amp the drummer, etc., might just yell at you to get a "real amp", and you might not have a place in the band. I think it is always good to have at least one powerful stage quality amp, especially one that you can turn down to very beautiful house volume levels. These are not always easy to find - such as in my Hot Rod Deluxe that goes from no sound to very loud with just the slightest adjustment of the volume knob. It is a very nice amp though for moderate to super loud use.

yeah I think the clean is fine on the HT60. I use a LP with 57's and I have a PRS which I put EMG 81/85s into for my "metal" sound. Its definitely a fun amp especially with the voice switching and the shaping from UK to US amps. I love it.

Well, to be specific, I am looking for pure demented growling tube amp sound, preferably low wattage, "for home/practice use" with on board OD & Revereb, at under a grand, Please submit your experience. BTW. I curretnly have a Class 5, and it is limited to say the least and I have it up for sale.

I play Led Z. Pink Floyd, Rush and this sort of ballzy sounds.

I know this is a bit off topic - but for something to use for playing around the house, just for yucks take a look at the Fender Mustangs. I picked one up about a month or so ago, it is one incredibly cool amp. Think of Pro tools Amplitude, but in a portable guitar amp. I have a 100 watter 1x12 (loud enough for a small venue or jam) has a sh*tload of amp sounds, and all the effects you would need plus a built in tuner. $299, a steal for what it does.

Having said this, I know, there's no replacing a good sounding tube amp I have three, - a Marshall JTM, Fender Hot Rod Deville (4x10) and a Gibson Goldtone GA30RVS. But really, for something to plug into for a practice session, or just pick it up and go to a jam or a gig with a cable and an ax, the mustang amps are ingenious, I love it. Just thought to mention it.

I picked up a Marshall class 5 mk2 to use at home.

I Have been wanting a marshall tube amp for sometime.

When i saw the class 5 i had to have one.

I agree with the others that it's a little flat until it is opened up and has few features. But its very sweet.

I didn't want anything over 5 watts for home practicing , i know the criteria was no pedals in this thread but i looked for a good multi pedal to be its mate.

The boss me-25 Works quite well with the class 5 at low volume, got everything under 600 so I am quite happy with this configuration

I love my little Marshall DSL401 ... tubes, 40W, drive/overdrive channels ... I can keep it low and it won't disturb the wife, or I can crank it up and rattle the house windows, either way it sounds fantastic!

013.jpg

I love my little Marshall DSL401 ... tubes, 40W, drive/overdrive channels ... I can keep it low and it won't disturb the wife, or I can crank it up and rattle the house windows, either way it sounds fantastic!

013.jpg

I was looking for one of these...had a hit on eBay but the guy wouldn't take anything less than his reserve. He listed it like 10 weeks straight. Never once dropped the price even though the offers were close to buy it now aka his reserve.

It wasn't this one...really.

I bought this one new about 10 years ago, back when I was 43. I had always wanted to start playing, so I bought this and a cheap Epi from Musician's friend and I spent about $900 for both (the wife said that was the limit).

Anyways, I got real busy with work and kids and never really did get around to learning to play. Alas, here I am 10 years older and finally getting around to learning to play...so the Marshall is in great shape. [thumbup]

I traded in the Epi and got the Gibson about 3 months ago (wow, what an upgrade). And now, as I finally have more time, I am using it to learn to play and I am loving it (though it aint easy). I had pictured myself playing Hedrix and Zepplin by now...but I am still learning basic chords and such.

However, sometimes I do find some stuff that I can do some simple power chords with...at which time I do turn up the Marshall, and it just rocks my world.

I kick myself for not sticking to this more when I was younger...but oh well...I am all in now.

Oh, sorry for the long story...I am a nooooob [blush]

It wasn't this one...really.

I bought this one new about 10 years ago, back when I was 43. I had always wanted to start playing, so I bought this and a cheap Epi from Musician's friend and I spent about $900 for both (the wife said that was the limit).

Anyways, I got real busy with work and kids and never really did get around to learning to play. Alas, here I am 10 years older and finally getting around to learning to play...so the Marshall is in great shape. [thumbup]

I traded in the Epi and got the Gibson about 3 months ago (wow, what an upgrade). And now, as I finally have more time, I am using it to learn to play and I am loving it (though it aint easy). I had pictured myself playing Hedrix and Zepplin by now...but I am still learning basic chords and such.

However, sometimes I do find some stuff that I can do some simple power chords with...at which time I do turn up the Marshall, and it just rocks my world.

I kick myself for not sticking to this more when I was younger...but oh well...I am all in now.

Oh, sorry for the long story...I am a nooooob [blush]

You should invest in Rocksmith....great teaching tool/game. I've had a newfound passion since this game was released. I play 4-6 hrs a week now easily.

Thanks Dg...and yeah, I had seen Rocksmith some time ago and I have been very curious as to if it was worth giving it a go.

It seems to be getting great feedback like yours from a lot of the users.

But, as I don't have gaming consoles, I'll have to wait for the PC version to be released.

I have seen that is scheduled for this coming October...and if that does happen, then I will very likely get it.

Archived