Gibson Brands Forums

in my music room anything goes

ol fred

OK here's my personal opinion, which I'm sure will offend someone.

The acoustic forum, at least when I became a member was a relatively small group, some, extremely knowledgeable, some, with dreams and aspirations. All willing to share seemingly all aspects of our musical tastes, experiences, knowledge, and uh-oh, opinions, and especially our love for Gibson acoustics.

For a shot time all of the threads were affable, and for me it simply became a fixture in my music room, and I think it became sort of ....let's say the acoustic lounge. While I'm not deriding the Gibson Lounge in any way, I just think that posts here were on a different level (subjective).

With the growth in membership I think some folks who thought that they had joined a group that had no opinions on anything other than the technical aspects and value of an instrument.

We now have a third forum, no avatars at this point. might as well drop those silly emoticons as well. I think that someone at Gibson has seen a problem and moved in a positive direction towards a possible resolution.

Let the migration begin.

I dont really get what you mean Ol' Fred ..

Looking at the other Gibson forum its still the same topics we discuss here, no big deal, hence I wrote earlier whats the point of starting another practically identical forum, just with an ugly Gibson typeface ?

And with the third forum, Im with Jeremy here, which third forum ?

The acoustic forum, at least when I became a member was a relatively small group, some, extremely knowledgeable, some, with dreams and aspirations. All willing to share seemingly all aspects of our musical tastes, experiences, knowledge, and uh-oh, opinions, and especially our love for Gibson acoustics.

For a shot time all of the threads were affable, and for me it simply became a fixture in my music room, and I think it became sort of ....let's say the acoustic lounge. While I'm not deriding the Gibson Lounge in any way, I just think that posts here were on a different level (subjective).

With the growth in membership I think some folks who thought that they had joined a group that had no opinions on anything other than the technical aspects and value of an instrument.

We now have a third forum, no avatars at this point. might as well drop those silly emoticons as well. I think that someone at Gibson has seen a problem and moved in a positive direction towards a possible resolution.

Let the migration begin.

Let the migration begin.

This all happened in six months time?

I'm at work right now so shouldn't be here but just a quick comment. I'm not sure if that Montana Gibson forum has anything to do with Bozeman. I think it's just a new forum started up by a few folks who don't like me. I could be wrong but I don't think the Gibson folks in Bozeman had anything to do with it. This forum is the official Gibson forum, AFAIK.

For the record, I will not be migrating as I am not welcome over there. Furthermore, I like it here. Life is too short to be fighting. Why are people picking sides and loyalties? This isn't Gibson Survivor. It's supposed to be a place for all who love G guitars to come together to chat. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that.

Read Karen's post and relect for a moment on the number of folks you haven't seen in the acoustic community for a while. for a bit it was more caustic than acoustic

Can you be a little more specific? I don't quite follow what you're getting at.

I'm at work right now so shouldn't be here but just a quick comment. I'm not sure if that Montana Gibson forum has anything to do with Bozeman. I think it's just a new forum started up by a few folks who don't like me. I could be wrong but I don't think the Gibson folks in Bozeman had anything to do with it. This forum is the official Gibson forum, AFAIK.

For the record, I will not be migrating as I am not welcome over there. Furthermore, I like it here. Life is too short to be fighting. Why are people picking sides and loyalties? This isn't Gibson Survivor. It's supposed to be a place for all who love G guitars to come together to chat. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that.

GG...what's up? You have to be the most unoffensive person on here!

Are you kiddin', youre one of my favourites here Karen !

Dont you go anywhere or we'll drag you right back in [biggrin]

Hmm, maybe its me .... I think ive ruffled a few feathers in the past, but hey, its all just a bit of sport anyway.

That answers a lot of questions, I thought it was an official Gibson site.

My whole point was that as you said, " I like it here. Life is too short to be fighting. Why are people picking sides and loyalties? This isn't Gibson Survivor. It's supposed to be a place for all who love G guitars to come together to chat."

As to the migration...if those members who seem to enjoy complaining or picking a verbal fight want to jump to any other forum, I for one will not miss them.

Thats really odd to me ... Ive not felt like this at all. Seems like things are just fine to me, lots of new members, some departures, that happens. If people get a bit upset over a comment then a forum is not for them.

To me it seems all pretty clear on the eastern front..

btw: need to get back to doing my czech grammar homework and my teach will really tell me to migrate tomorrow morning ..

That answers a lot of questions, I thought it was an official Gibson site.

My whole point was that as you said, " I like it here. Life is too short to be fighting. Why are people picking sides and loyalties? This isn't Gibson Survivor. It's supposed to be a place for all who love G guitars to come together to chat."

As to the migration...if those members who seem to enjoy complaining or picking a verbal fight want to jump to any other forum, I for one will not miss them.

I've been a member here for many years and find some people take this stuff way to seriously. I also like to browse other forums but seem to enjoy this one the most and tend spend most of my time here. I like seeing the same people day to day and see what's going on with them. I also like that Gibson has a presence on this forum and guys like Jeremy can help with information and or services.

The few who have left for the most part are not missed. Except you OWF you are a valuable forum member and you are missed.

I do think we should have the forum mods delete the reputation meter as it does tend to offend. It is just the internets though so we don't have to take it so seriously. If you disagree with someone, great voice your opinion , but anonymous negative rep is pointless.

I love this forum and hope you guys stick around. I'm hoping to get good enough one day to join you all at one of your Bay Area jams and maybe even do the homecoming one day.

Maybe even get danvilleRob to adopt me and let me play his bird.

Speaking of which DRob I know you were teaching your son and his wife, how's that coming along?

I accidentally gave myself a -1! How does that happen. This is a great place for folks to get information from people that have direct experience about anything Gibson and sometimes not. Sure my perception is may be different then the next guy but all of our experiences add up to what we know. How did I give myself a -1?

JM

Maybe even get danvilleRob to adopt me and let me play his bird.

Speaking of which DRob I know you were teaching your son and his wife, how's that coming along?

G-101... TOTAL failure...... DIL decided she didn't want to be married, so she ran off with an illegal alien.... Son is dating every Hooter Girl in the area.....

Not much chance to get a grandkid soon!

My whole point to getting the DIF and H'Bird was to give them to my grandkids....shoot..... I'll die of old age before I even HAVE a grandkid!

Come on over...you can play the H'Bird, (you just have to wear a shirt with no buttons and remove your belt).

..... We now have a third forum, no avatars at this point. might as well drop those silly emoticons as well. I think that someone at Gibson has seen a problem and moved in a positive direction towards a possible resolution.

Let the migration begin.

The "Gibson Acoustic Community" forum is NOT authorized by, or officially related to the Gibson Corp. Not all, but some of those folks are intolerant of opinions about Gibson Corp or Gibson guitars that 100% in support of anything Gibson Corp produces or services. When some of those folks were over here, you couldn't discuss any issues concerning design, materials, build, hardware, finish, electronics, QC, marketing or warranty without them firing off all kinds of defensive and accusatory posts. I currently have no complaints about Gibson, but if I wish to bring up some issue, I would rather not go through a torrent of defensive and accusatory comments to discuss the issue. It's a lot nicer here with some of those folks over there. There was a time a member posting a thread like the current on - Crappy tuners on brand new Gibson! - would have been peppered with defensive and accusatory comments - these days it turns out great. Nice.

At this point, I've got no desire to migrate to, or join that forum. I hope you have a good experience there and enjoy the members.

I'm not interested in a forum where virtually all the threads were last posted to a week or so ago. Heck - the second thread in the "Lobby" was last posted to on July 25.

And besides, as GG mentioned, those guys don't like her. B)

The "Gibson Acoustic Community" forum is NOT authorized by, or officially related to the Gibson Corp. Not all, but some of those folks are intolerant of opinions about Gibson Corp or Gibson guitars that 100% in support of anything Gibson Corp produces or services. When some of those folks were over here, you couldn't discuss any issues concerning design, materials, build, hardware, finish, electronics, QC, marketing or warranty without them firing off all kinds of defensive and accusatory posts. I currently have no complaints about Gibson, but if I wish to bring up some issue, I would rather not go through a torrent of defensive and accusatory comments to discuss the issue. It's a lot nicer here with some of those folks over there. There was a time a member posting a thread like the current on - Crappy tuners on brand new Gibson! - would have been peppered with defensive and accusatory comments - these days it turns out great. Nice.

At this point, I've got no desire to migrate to, or join that forum. I hope you have a good experience there and enjoy the members.

I'm not interested in a forum where virtually all the threads were last posted to a week or so ago. Heck - the second thread in the "Lobby" was last posted to on July 25.

And besides, as GG mention, those guys don't her. B)

How about learning another tune? "Four legs good, two legs bad" is getting really old. The other board is another resource for Gibson acoustics, with a focus more like this board had several years ago. I don't know what the heck GG is talking about.

Jerry, there is NOTHING new on that forum that is not covered here.

How about learning another tune? "Four legs good, two legs bad" is getting really old. The other board is another resource for Gibson acoustics, with a focus more like this board had several years ago. I don't know what the heck GG is talking about.

Tell me what is the different focus. Topics are basicially the same ... shows us yout Gibbys, do you recommend this or other guitar and so on ... whats the differemce ?

Different focus. I don't see why that should be a problem. More information is good. If you don't like it, you don't have to go there.

Not to throw more fuel on the fire than has already been burned, but there's also at least one other Gibson forum that hasn't been mentioned yet. Not sure why everyone's getting all worked up and no need to take it personally. As Jerry K said, the more resources for information, the better.

http://www.gibson-talk.com/forum/index.php

Jerry - Your stirring the pot, but some folks don't like what you're serving. B)

It makes no sense to try and recruit members from the Gibson forum, and then get on the Gibson forum and upset its members. I'm sure everyone can see what I was trying to explain in my previous post. THIS is why I've got no desire to migrate to, or join that forum. I hope you have a good experience there and enjoy the members.

BTW, it's not another resource when the members are posting on Gibson AND GAC - same guys, same info.

Archived