Gibson Brands Forums

A problem that has turned into good news

Duende

Not sure what spotify is, but from your description, it appears someone may have lifted songs from your iPod or other such device.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Once it goes on an internet accessible device, they ain't no secrets.

Welcome to the brave new world. You've just been cloned. [scared]

Wow Matt you must be famous if the spammers want a piece of your action by stealing your music. I would report this to apple right away. Another thing is to actually purchase a song of yours and that way you can have a audit trail as to who is actually stealing your work. Then you have a IP address, and a bank that processed the claim and go after them like the record companies at a small fee of $2500.00 per track stolen.

I could help you with this....

Thank you; I may take you up on the offer. I have written a letter to them first to see if they will remove the songs that shouldn't be there. What is weird is that on my youtube page there are some audio tracks that have been lifted too.

There is even one track that isn't by me a tall- that my name is still attached to LOL

Matt

Thank you; I may take you up on the offer. I have written a letter to them first to see if they will remove the songs that shouldn't be there. What is weird is that on my youtube page there are some audio tracks that have been lifted too.

There is even one track that isn't by me a tall- that my name is still attached to LOL

Matt

i'll bet someone scraped your audio FROM youtube. that would not surprise me in the least. [sad]

Very sorry to hear about this. I've been seeing Spotify adds recently. I would think with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act(DMCA) here in the US, you should be able to notify Spotify with a "take down notice", claiming a copyright on your original works and recordings which are being used/sold without permission.

I wish you the best in dealing with this terrible situation.

I'm sorry to hear that Matt, though I do have to say whoever lifted them has good taste. I've had a spotify account for quite a while (a European friend set one up for me to test out). I don't use it often though.

I hope you have some luck in taking the songs down, this sort of bullsh*t shouldn't be tolerated.

That's pretty weird.

First of all, I don't get any hits at all for "Matthew Sear" when I search. Secondly, Spotify isn't a network you can upload and share things to as a user. They get their music from labels and such only, so it seems unlikely that someone just ripped from your youtube channel or anything like that. From the site:

"If your music is on Spotify, but you believe you don’t have an agreement with Spotify:

All the music on Spotify has been licensed from and delivered by labels or other rightsholders. Usually when an artist asks us how their music ended up on Spotify, it turns out that the artist’s music has been licensed and delivered by a label or aggregator without the artist knowing about this. If you are positive that nobody else could have licensed your music to Spotify, then please contact us."

content@spotify.com should be the address to use.

HERE is a list of services they work with for unsigned artists.

Finally, not to insult your intelligence or anything, but... are you sure it's not local files stored on your computer that you are seeing? Spotify lists those too when you search for something. :P

Personally I just love Spotify, but I get the premium subscription for free from my mobile phone service provider. It's great for random browsing and exploring of new and old stuff.

Dear all

I know the network spotify is now in the states and has always appeared a superior alternative (and legal and ethical too!) to itunes as you can make playlists and hear entire albums and songs. Money only changes hands if you download the track.

My dad today told me that some pieces of music, that I have only ever sold at concerts, are up there! I came back and typed my name and to my surprise there are not only clips lifted from cds I have sold at recitals but also audio from youtube...not to mention that there are also quite a few pieces of music that I have never shared (or sold) that are there.It is unnerving because some of it is 'out takes' that IMHO not worthy of sale and they are 'out there'

The weirdest thing is it is almost like my own itunes has been gotten into and put on the site?? I know that sounds paranoid, but how else would outtakes be there?

I suppose what I am thinking, be vigilant - and make sure if you post something up to share, you can handle it being in other places without your consent/knowledge etc these days!!!

Matt

I would like to inform you that you have no reason to worry. The reason those tracks that you have never shared are on Spotify is because they are on your PC. When you first run Spotify it scans your PC for any audio files. Then it displays them. They are not shared to the Spotify network unless you choose to share them. You are only seeing them because they are on your PC.

I would like to inform you that you have no reason to worry. The reason those tracks that you have never shared are on Spotify is because they are on your PC. When you first run Spotify it scans your PC for any audio files. Then it displays them. They are not shared to the Spotify network unless you choose to share them. You are only seeing them because they are on your PC.

That explains most of this and a HUGE relief. To the other guy above, you were not insulting a tall and helped too; cheers for explaining.

Matt

Just scrolled up (on the phone) and the person I mentioned above was SHO, so cheers for explaining, I appreciate it! There is still a discrepancy, but I am relieved beyond belief that a track that I wouldn't want out there in the world is not. Off to have a celebratory drink :)

Matt

Just scrolled up (on the phone) and the person I mentioned above was SHO, so cheers for explaining, I appreciate it! There is still a discrepancy, but I am relieved beyond belief that a track that I wouldn't want out there in the world is not. Off to have a celebratory drink :)

Matt

No worries! Basically, if your tracks have a note-icon after them in the search result list, they are a local file on your hard drive. If they don't, click on whatever it has listed as being the album the songs appear on. On that page (the albums own page that is) scroll down to the end of the list of track and in small grey print there should be stated who claims copyright to the release.

No worries! Basically, if your tracks have a note-icon after them in the search result list, they are a local file on your hard drive. If they don't, click on whatever it has listed as being the album the songs appear on. On that page (the albums own page that is) scroll down to the end of the list of track and in small grey print there should be stated who claims copyright to the release.

Thanks

Matt

Maybe you should have someone, a friend, or someone here, look up your name and see if the, apparently, un-uploaded tracks come up.

Odd that YouTube stuff comes up too. Better check the YouTube licensing agreement.

The whole thing is sorted out now, thanks again for the help [thumbup]. The files on my computer are local files and are not searchable by others, it just collects them from your iTunes and puts them there just for your own use. The guys at Spotify have written back a very friendly letter explaining how it works. Perhaps even more of interest is they also said how you can get your music on there :)

Spotify deal with several companies including the site cd baby (my latest classical guitar cd is on there) it is basically a site and distribution service for small time indie artists.

www.cdbaby.com

Anyway, if you have an album with CD baby, you should get it distributed to Spotify automatically...

Cheers - all's well that ends well [thumbup]

Matt

Archived