Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Elite 1963 ES-335 DOT/CH

LongMan

GUITAR: 2002 Epiphone Elite 1963 ES-335 DOT/CH

PRICE PAID: € 1200,- NOS (new old stock)

ORIGIN: Made in Japan (Terada plant)

FEATURES:

Bridge Pickup - 50ST made by Gibson U.S.A humbucker

Neck Pickup - 50SR made by Gibson U.S.A humbucker

16" semi hollow body thin line arch top with sustain block, laminated 5-ply maple top, sides and back

Set 1-piece mahogany neck, 60s slim taper profile

Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays

Bone nut

22 Frets

4-ply black/white pickguard

Clear high gloss PU finish

Single ply bindings around top, back, and fretboard

Nickel hardware

T.O.M bridge with stop tailpiece

Grover Rotomatics tuners

Gold reflector knobs (changed to black/silver reflector knobs)

2 Vol. 2 Tone controls

3-way selector switch

24.75" (628mm) scale

COLORS AVAILABLE:

CH (Cherry)

NA (Natural)

VS (Vintage Sunburst)

FIT/FINISH:

This guitar represents the archetype of the ES-335: The reproduction of an early 60s cherry red dot model. This is what most people think of when they talk about an ES-335.

Now you may ask why this guitar is named "1963 Dot", while all common references to the 1963 ES-335 state that GIbson changed the fretboard inlays to block markers in late 1962. Well, I don't know for sure. But I saw some auctions of japanese sellers that offered Epiphone 1963 ES-335 with block markers. These were produced before the Elite series started, and were sold in Japan only. So I guess when introducing the Elite series they took that japanese guitar, changed the headstock and fretboard inlays, but kept the name. The reason for changing to dot markers might be that original Dot ES-335 are much more popular than the later block inlay models.

The build quality is excellent, this is what a japanese built guitar at this price tag should look like.

The neck profile is a "real" 60s slim taper, or at least what I do expect from a slim taper neck. This is one of the fastest necks I've ever played. Playing this guitar is so effortless, the notes come out so naturally, and accessibility of the highest frets is as easy as it can be. This is one of the features that made the ES-335 so famous. The neck is 1-piece mahogany, with 14° headstock angle (Gibson ES-335 usually have 17°).

The body is 16" thin line, in my opinion one of the most comfortable body shapes ever made. The guitar is remarkable lighter than e.g. a Les Paul, at the same time it is more comfortable to play (at least for me with 6ft7").

The finish is a beautiful bright cherry red, and the cherry finish continues into the f-holes. Btw. this is one detail that upsets me on most low budget Epiphone ES type guitars: The f-holes are painted black inside, and most times the job isn't done accurate, so it looks just odd. The Elite ES-335 has a precious look, all details are crafted thoroughly. The top and back show a plain and harmonious wood grain. Nothing spectacular, but it nevertheless looks beautiful if you have a close look. The fretboard was light-colored when I got the guitar, but changed to a nice, dark - almost ebony like - tone after putting some fretboard oil on it.

The hardware is Gibson standard, just what you would find on a Gibson instrument as well. The tuners are original Grovers that operate very smoothly, a world difference compared to the chinese made look-alikes. The pickups are called 50ST/50SR "made in U.S.A.". But to be honest I believe these are a kind of re-labeled Gibson Classic 57, just the same type of pickup Gibson puts into their ES-335. The other hardware is "real deal" as well: Bone nut, real mother of pearl inlays, the original ES pickguard mount, pickup selector switch and controls. In this regard the Elite ES-335 doesn't differ from a Gibson ES-335.

The setup was a surprise to me when I first played this guitar. I never had seen a guitar with an action that low before, that nevertheless has no fret buzzing. You can play barre chords up to the 17th fret without effort. The playability of this particular ES-335 neck is stunning, every time again when I pick up the guitar.

SOUND QUALITY:

Played acoustically the Elite ES-335 sounds bright, resonant and well balanced. The guitar sounds astonishing loud without amp, a property it shares with many other semi hollow body guitars I guess.

Amplified the guitars offers a broad range of sounds, this is the prototype of what I call a versatile guitar. The neck pickup on clean amp settings gives a full, sparkling tone with well defined bottom. Just right for playing jazz tunes, without getting muddy at any time. Add some chorus effect, and you'll get the nicest ballad sounds. With adding gain on the amp you can get anything from slight crunch to beautiful singing full distorted solo sound. The bridge pickup naturally sounds a lot brighter, but still has enough butt, and a good portion of twang. With a mid gain setting on the amp you can nicely control the amount of distortion with the fingers, the ES-335 allows very dynamic playing. This is great for rhythm guitar, you can change the sound between clean verse and crunched chorus easily just with your picking style. On higher gain settings the ES-335 starts to rock seriously. Even on real high gain settings the sound is still distinctive and very usable.

The overall sound character is a bit similar to a Les Paul that is equipped with the same pickups. But while the Les Paul is a rock'n'roll beast, the ES-335 shows grace, no matter how hard you rock it. Not easy to describe, but the tone has more elegance, it is more detailed. An ES-335 can seriously rock on the bridge pickup, but it will never cut like a hot knife thru butter like a Les Paul can. The ES-335 is just too much a lady to do so [smile]

CONCLUSION:

Surely the ES-335 is one of the most versatile, playable and beautiful looking guitars ever built in electric guitar history. There are good reasons why original early 60s Gibson ES-335 nowadays cost a fortune. The Epiphone Elite 1963 ES-335 represents all of the attributes the original ES-335 became famous for. The Elite ES-335 in my opinion is one of the finest instruments Epiphone made since the production was moved to asia. This particular one for sure is a keeper, even more: If I had to choose one of my guitars as only instrument, this probably would be the Elite ES-335.

Now that the regular Gibson ES-335 has become more affordable, it is less a matter of budget to buy an Elite series guitar. However the Elite ES-335 is a great instrument of its own right, not just a cheaper knockoff of the original. If you have the opportunity to play one, I would strongly recommend to do so. But be aware that it could get difficult to find one at all.

PICTURE:

epielite1963es335.jpg

VIDEO:

Here's an example how an ES-335 sounds in the hands of an excellent guitar player. The video shows a Gibson ES-335, but the Elite ES-335 sounds pretty similar. This piece of music shows a nice cross section of the sounds a good ES-335 is capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAnv66NDZ74&feature=artist

"The neck is 1-piece mahogany, with the "historical correct" headstock angle."

Just wanted to clarify: the headstock angle on the Elitist Dot is 14 degrees; the headstock angle on an early '60's ES-335 would have been (and is today) 17 degrees. Otherwise, a fine review of a fine instrument. I have an Elitist Dot and a Gibson ES-335 (and a Gibson ES-333), and the Elitist can go toe-to-toe with the Gibby as far as I'm concerned.

Red 333

Gorgeous Guitar - I've always owned solid-body guitars, still do.

Have PLAYED Semi-Hollowbodies before (gretsch) but never found one that

stuck with me. Your review is Great - I've looked at DOTs in catalogs, but

it's not the same as being able to read a good "hands-on" review. =D>

I see your camera tripod in the reflection of the finish! Wow... This is useful

information for me! Thanks! (D*mn GAS...)

"The neck is 1-piece mahogany, with the "historical correct" headstock angle."

Just wanted to clarify: the headstock angle on the Elitist Dot is 14 degrees; the headstock angle on an early '60's ES-335 would have been (and is today) 17 degrees.

Thanks for the clarification! I confused that with my Elite Les Paul, which actually has the 17° headstock angle. Better should have had a second look to the ES-335 [smile] Edited the review now.

Gorgeous Guitar - I've always owned solid-body guitars, still do.

Me too, me too! [smile]

Have PLAYED Semi-Hollowbodies before (gretsch) but never found one that

stuck with me. Your review is Great - I've looked at DOTs in catalogs, but

it's not the same as being able to read a good "hands-on" review. =D>

And actually playing that guitar is even better. There are vast differences between all that Epiphone ES style guitars in regard to neck profile and weight. You can change the pickups, tuners and bridge, but not the neck, wood and weight of the guitar. For example my korean Sheraton feels very different compared to the Elite ES-335. Much chunkier neck, the guitar is heavier. And the Riviera again is another beast.

Btw. I considered a Gretsch as well, they make so lovely guitars. But their necks just didn't feel right to me. That's one of the reasons I changed my Riviera to Gretsch pickups. So I get a kind of Gretsch sound from an ES style guitar that feels right to me.

I see your camera tripod in the reflection of the finish! Wow... This is useful

information for me!

Whot? That I use a tripod to take pictures of my guitars? Well, that's a common procedure I heard... [tongue]

• 5 months later...

Me too, me too! [smile]

And actually playing that guitar is even better. There are vast differences between all that Epiphone ES style guitars in regard to neck profile and weight. You can change the pickups, tuners and bridge, but not the neck, wood and weight of the guitar. For example my korean Sheraton feels very different compared to the Elite ES-335. Much chunkier neck, the guitar is heavier. And the Riviera again is another beast.

Btw. I considered a Gretsch as well, they make so lovely guitars. But their necks just didn't feel right to me. That's one of the reasons I changed my Riviera to Gretsch pickups. So I get a kind of Gretsch sound from an ES style guitar that feels right to me.

Whot? That I use a tripod to take pictures of my guitars? Well, that's a common procedure I heard... [tongue]

He meant the finish on the guitar was beautiful :P

I'm looking at an Elitist Dot for $750, buy or get an American Strat?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/2800283138.html

Depends on your preference. I would go for the Elitist ES-335. You can get a decent american Strat any day, but the Elitist ES-335 is rare, at least here in Germany.

The pickups are called 50ST/50SR "made in U.S.A.". But to be honest I believe these are a kind of re-labeled Gibson Classic 57, just the same type of pickup Gibson puts into their ES-335.

Good in-depth review. I have an Elitist 335 in natural. Nice guitar.

Elitist 335 PU's have A5 magnets in them, so they aren't Gibson '57 Classics, which have A2's. That's fine with me, as I am not a big fan of '57's; I think Burstbuckers are much better.

I doubt Gibson created a new wind for the 60ST and 50SR, so they could be '57's with different (brighter) magnets, which is a good thing. Gives a clearer neck tone.

He meant the finish on the guitar was beautiful :P

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/2800283138.html

Sorry plagueskill, you'll have to take that one off your list...

but want you to know I found it myself, didn't find it from your link, just saw that after I bought it and thought it was funny my new guitar was being talked about.

Sorry plagueskill, you'll have to take that one off your list...

but want you to know I found it myself, didn't find it from your link, just saw that after I bought it and thought it was funny my new guitar was being talked about.

You bought it?! Guess my minds made up now haha! Thats such weird coincidence!

• 4 months later...

GUITAR: 2002 Epiphone Elite 1963 ES-335 DOT/CH

PRICE PAID: € 1200,- NOS (new old stock)

ORIGIN: Made in Japan (Terada plant)

FEATURES:

Bridge Pickup - 50ST made by Gibson U.S.A humbucker

Neck Pickup - 50SR made by Gibson U.S.A humbucker

16" semi hollow body thin line arch top with sustain block, laminated 5-ply maple top, sides and back

Set 1-piece mahogany neck, 60s slim taper profile

Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays

Bone nut

22 Frets

4-ply black/white pickguard

Clear high gloss PU finish

Single ply bindings around top, back, and fretboard

Nickel hardware

T.O.M bridge with stop tailpiece

Grover Rotomatics tuners

Gold reflector knobs (changed to black/silver reflector knobs)

2 Vol. 2 Tone controls

3-way selector switch

24.75" (628mm) scale

COLORS AVAILABLE:

CH (Cherry)

NA (Natural)

VS (Vintage Sunburst)

FIT/FINISH:

This guitar represents the archetype of the ES-335: The reproduction of an early 60s cherry red dot model. This is what most people think of when they talk about an ES-335.

Now you may ask why this guitar is named "1963 Dot", while all common references to the 1963 ES-335 state that GIbson changed the fretboard inlays to block markers in late 1962. Well, I don't know for sure. But I saw some auctions of japanese sellers that offered Epiphone 1963 ES-335 with block markers. These were produced before the Elite series started, and were sold in Japan only. So I guess when introducing the Elite series they took that japanese guitar, changed the headstock and fretboard inlays, but kept the name. The reason for changing to dot markers might be that original Dot ES-335 are much more popular than the later block inlay models.

The build quality is excellent, this is what a japanese built guitar at this price tag should look like.

The neck profile is a "real" 60s slim taper, or at least what I do expect from a slim taper neck. This is one of the fastest necks I've ever played. Playing this guitar is so effortless, the notes come out so naturally, and accessibility of the highest frets is as easy as it can be. This is one of the features that made the ES-335 so famous. The neck is 1-piece mahogany, with 14° headstock angle (Gibson ES-335 usually have 17°).

The body is 16" thin line, in my opinion one of the most comfortable body shapes ever made. The guitar is remarkable lighter than e.g. a Les Paul, at the same time it is more comfortable to play (at least for me with 6ft7").

The finish is a beautiful bright cherry red, and the cherry finish continues into the f-holes. Btw. this is one detail that upsets me on most low budget Epiphone ES type guitars: The f-holes are painted black inside, and most times the job isn't done accurate, so it looks just odd. The Elite ES-335 has a precious look, all details are crafted thoroughly. The top and back show a plain and harmonious wood grain. Nothing spectacular, but it nevertheless looks beautiful if you have a close look. The fretboard was light-colored when I got the guitar, but changed to a nice, dark - almost ebony like - tone after putting some fretboard oil on it.

The hardware is Gibson standard, just what you would find on a Gibson instrument as well. The tuners are original Grovers that operate very smoothly, a world difference compared to the chinese made look-alikes. The pickups are called 50ST/50SR "made in U.S.A.". But to be honest I believe these are a kind of re-labeled Gibson Classic 57, just the same type of pickup Gibson puts into their ES-335. The other hardware is "real deal" as well: Bone nut, real mother of pearl inlays, the original ES pickguard mount, pickup selector switch and controls. In this regard the Elite ES-335 doesn't differ from a Gibson ES-335.

The setup was a surprise to me when I first played this guitar. I never had seen a guitar with an action that low before, that nevertheless has no fret buzzing. You can play barre chords up to the 17th fret without effort. The playability of this particular ES-335 neck is stunning, every time again when I pick up the guitar.

SOUND QUALITY:

Played acoustically the Elite ES-335 sounds bright, resonant and well balanced. The guitar sounds astonishing loud without amp, a property it shares with many other semi hollow body guitars I guess.

Amplified the guitars offers a broad range of sounds, this is the prototype of what I call a versatile guitar. The neck pickup on clean amp settings gives a full, sparkling tone with well defined bottom. Just right for playing jazz tunes, without getting muddy at any time. Add some chorus effect, and you'll get the nicest ballad sounds. With adding gain on the amp you can get anything from slight crunch to beautiful singing full distorted solo sound. The bridge pickup naturally sounds a lot brighter, but still has enough butt, and a good portion of twang. With a mid gain setting on the amp you can nicely control the amount of distortion with the fingers, the ES-335 allows very dynamic playing. This is great for rhythm guitar, you can change the sound between clean verse and crunched chorus easily just with your picking style. On higher gain settings the ES-335 starts to rock seriously. Even on real high gain settings the sound is still distinctive and very usable.

The overall sound character is a bit similar to a Les Paul that is equipped with the same pickups. But while the Les Paul is a rock'n'roll beast, the ES-335 shows grace, no matter how hard you rock it. Not easy to describe, but the tone has more elegance, it is more detailed. An ES-335 can seriously rock on the bridge pickup, but it will never cut like a hot knife thru butter like a Les Paul can. The ES-335 is just too much a lady to do so [smile]

CONCLUSION:

Surely the ES-335 is one of the most versatile, playable and beautiful looking guitars ever built in electric guitar history. There are good reasons why original early 60s Gibson ES-335 nowadays cost a fortune. The Epiphone Elite 1963 ES-335 represents all of the attributes the original ES-335 became famous for. The Elite ES-335 in my opinion is one of the finest instruments Epiphone made since the production was moved to asia. This particular one for sure is a keeper, even more: If I had to choose one of my guitars as only instrument, this probably would be the Elite ES-335.

Now that the regular Gibson ES-335 has become more affordable, it is less a matter of budget to buy an Elite series guitar. However the Elite ES-335 is a great instrument of its own right, not just a cheaper knockoff of the original. If you have the opportunity to play one, I would strongly recommend to do so. But be aware that it could get difficult to find one at all.

PICTURE:

epielite1963es335.jpg

VIDEO:

Here's an example how an ES-335 sounds in the hands of an excellent guitar player. The video shows a Gibson ES-335, but the Elite ES-335 sounds pretty similar. This piece of music shows a nice cross section of the sounds a good ES-335 is capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAnv66NDZ74&feature=artist

Agreed. The Elitist 335s are simply astounding. My brother had one and I was like, no way. I think it's fair to say that the attention to detail is probably better than on many Gibsons. I recently owned a 2009 335 on which the top, between the pickups, was crooked, so that in order to be parallel with the strings, both pickups had to be tilted relative to the body. While it doesn't affect sound or playability as such, it was not cool. These Elitists would simply never have such a problem -- such a guitar would not have been let out of the factory. The only thing that bugs me a little is the headstock. I don't love the paddle shape. If you look really, really hard and are willing to spend some $$$, you can find a "Japan Domestic Market" one with a Gibson headstock. If you do run into one, buy it immediately! If you don't want it, PM me and I will take it off your hands. I honestly believe that the Elitist especially in its JDM variant is one of the very best Gibson 335s ever made.

Archived