Gibson Brands Forums

To mic or not to mic

struma6

I've played out for years. During this time I've used a LOT of different pickup systems...from the old Barcus Berry "Hot Dots" to clamp in the sound-hole magnetic pickups. Out of them I've come to prefer certain set-ups over others. I pretty much use piezo family electronics.

Back in the day I mic'd my guitar frequently for various reasons. I tended to move around too much for them so I put that on the shelf.

Now that I'm "older" (ok, old. [scared] ) I move around a LOT less, actually sit most often. With that I've gone to preferring micing the guitar. Both recording AND performing. Once I have a good mix it definitely sounds much more "acoustic" and clean to me. All my acoustics have their piezos so I could plug in if the need arose. If I'm playing a duo situation I go plugged in, gives me the ability to tweek volume when playing fills/leads.

Anyway, what's YOUR preference, why, and what do you use?

(sorry, this may be a silly topic but I'm attempting to make threads about acoustic guitars rather than about acoustic guitar boards. Insane, I know!)

Nothing really beats a montrous top quality P.A. outside with a top quality operator, and even good weather, and a simple Shure 57 or 58 can make the acoustic sound heavenly, but for less than perfect conditions the USP hooked into a Fishman Spectrum DI and then a decent acoustic amp is pretty good these days - you can leap off your chair and scare if you feel like - and yes, even let out a sneaky fart !

BluesKing777.

For the small venue stuff I play I use a simple Mackie 8 channel powered mixer and 2 !5" Peavy speaker enclosures. Anything bigger than that it's whatever is supplied! The SM-57 has always been the work-horse instrument mic!! Love them. AND the 58.

Nothing really beats a montrous top quality P.A. outside with a top quality operator, and even good weather, and a simple Shure 57 or 58 can make the acoustic sound heavenly, but for less than perfect conditions the USP hooked into a Fishman Spectrum DI and then a decent acoustic amp is pretty good these days - you can leap off your chair and scare if you feel like - and yes, even let out a sneaky fart !

BluesKing777.

Just got told I need to have my hearing checked and that I haven't been all that sneaky - Rats!

I fully agree that a UST combined with an Aura Spectrum DI is the way to go.

You get a lovelly, natural tone that is highly representative of the guitar, with no quack and mike like delivery, at both low and high volumes.

Here's a couple clips where i used the Spectrum DI in both a pub and club venue.

BluesKing777.

Due to always standing when playing acoustic, I've never mic'd up

I might try it one day if a sitting situation arises

The best piezo acoustic I ever played was a Yamaha APX with a fibre back

Currently I'm using an Ibanez with an active magnetic P/U

And a copy of a J160e with a passive magnetic P/U, which sounds surprisingly good through the wire

Some guitarists attach a soundhole magnetic and then sit in front of a mic and mix the two....

V

:-({|=

I don't perform out, but I do use mics, mixer and headphones for practice.

I use a Shure SM58 for vocals, a Shure SM57 for the guitar, a Mackie 402 mixer, and Sony MDR-7506 headphones.

Mic'ing the guitar sounds for better than any pick-up system, but hey, it's a Gibson ;-)

Archived