Gibson Brands Forums

What are your favorite acoustic songs to play?

Digory

...They dont have to be the most difficult, or the most flashy, not nessecarily the ones to impress your mate's and your other half, they could be popular or obscure, simple strummers or tricky fingerpickers... just the ones that YOU LOVE to play on your own that just get you in that special way! [biggrin]

So just THREE acoustic songs, your absolute favorites, what would they be?...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooooh...good topic! I'm gonna cheat a little and go with three songs each from some of my fav writers:

1. Return of the Grievous Angel or Sin City or A Song for You

2. Pancho and Lefty or Harm's Swift Way or If I Needed You

3. Greenville or Everything Has Changed or (recent addition) Ugly Truth

Of course, check again with me next week... :rolleyes:

Interesting that most of you are chiming in with Country songs... having grown up in Old England you'll excuse me for not having a good grounding in Country, my Mrs is half Irish and Country is way more popular over there, shes into bands like Union Station so I have a little bit of knowledge. I am always in awe of the musicianship and song crafting but I just cant connect with it :rolleyes: I guess it has to get into your blood when you're young.

So here are my three that I always love to come back to...

Paranoid Android - Radiohead

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Seasick Yet Still Docked - Morrissey

(Along with those are almost all of The Smiths acoustic songs! [thumbup] )

....oh and also Wild Horses - Rolling Stones!

I love all kinds of music. In my pre-teen years my folks drug me to a shindig called "Cliffie Stone's Hometown Jamboree" in Anaheim every Sat night. Serious traditional country and boy did I hate it. I could have been home listening to the Beach Boys on my ten pound transistor radio.

My how times have changed.

Currently

Christmas in Prison / Lions in Rescue (John Prine/Ol Fred

Big Butter and Egg Man (Merle Haggard's cover)

Chiseled in Stone (Vern Gosdin)

Interesting that most of you are chiming in with Country songs... having grown up in Old England you'll excuse me for not having a good grounding in Country, my Mrs is half Irish and Country is way more popular over there, shes into bands like Union Station so I have a little bit of knowledge. I am always in awe of the musicianship and song crafting but I just cant connect with it :rolleyes: I guess it has to get into your blood when you're young.

Great to see another Radiohead and Smiths fan here - we often play There is a Light from the Smiths and Creep plus Fake Plastic Trees from Radiohead, always go down a treat, great bands !

In this phase :

It Stoned Me – Van Morrison

Hejira – J. Mitchell

I Surrender – M. Cohn. (only know it by Crosby/Nash on which I base my pick-version)

Smiths, , , I was on the first wave and bought the debut. Started playing Please Please Please 26 years ago and do it a lot in this period. Yesterday during an allnite J-45 jam (four 45's involved) I ran through it again.

Smiths - do Americans know Smiths. . .

Whatever I'm working on.....

I'm kind of with Rob on this. But there are some songs I return to on a regular basis -

Moondance - Van M . . just about any of his stuff would go in this slot, I love it all.

Here Comes the Sun - George H . . Love everything about this one.

Harvest Moon - Neil Y . . Seems the older I get, the more I appreciate his music.

Digory - Interesting topic. I threw you a "+". B)

Digory - Interesting topic. I threw you a "+". B)

Cheers dude [biggrin]

Some really interesting choices, thanks to everyone for sharing [thumbup]

Here's another that I love playing, quite tricky though, a staple for all the Smiths fans out there! (theres no live vid so I've just posted the track) beautifuly played by the genius, Johnny Marr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIMkHnT2BB4

Archived