Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Seen One of These???

suburude63

No I ain,t ever seen one of those. If its true...how much more convoluted can Gibson make their 'traditional' models?? JEEEEESH! Its BAD enought that they make the J-45 in 95 different wood combinations and toners and bracing etc......But now they want to call a J-50 a natural top J-45....JEEEEEESHHH again! Give me a break!! Ya'll go on and buy one of them 'rare' anomalies. I'll stick with 'tradition'.

Yep its real ! See below my friend. suburude

Hello,

Thanks for the photos!! The serial number and the photos are consistent with a 1995 J-45 Western in Natural finish. We have used the more historic “banner” headstock on various models, perhaps most used on the J-45s.

Best regards,

Vincent

Vincent Wynne

Gibson Customer Service

Those were "the J-45" for a few years from Bozeman, about 1994-5, IIRC.

They had silkscreened Block logo, and the Banner, also silkscreen. The J-30 of that time was similarly adorned, although I can't remember if they called them "Western" per se. They came both natural and sunburst. I still have the promo folders from the dealer with those two models on 'em.

Fred

• 11 years later...
On 10/5/2008 at 3:00 PM, retrorod said:

No I ain,t ever seen one of those. If its true...how much more convoluted can Gibson make their 'traditional' models?? JEEEEESH! Its BAD enought that they make the J-45 in 95 different wood combinations and toners and bracing etc......But now they want to call a J-50 a natural top J-45....JEEEEEESHHH again! Give me a break!! Ya'll go on and buy one of them 'rare' anomalies. I'll stick with 'tradition'.

Retrorod,

I'm with you.

I suspect Gibson has an in-house marketing motto: "If we build it, they will buy."

Which is why I'm a "one and done" kinda guy. 2001 J-45 standard, and I'm good.

RBSinTo

3 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Retrorod,

I'm with you.

I suspect Gibson has an in-house marketing motto: "If we build it, they will buy."

Which is why I'm a "one and done" kinda guy. 2001 J-45 standard, and I'm good.

RBSinTo

No offence to them, since people have done the more than a century of work to build the brand to this point, but they could make a guitar out of dog poops set in epoxy and someone would buy it for their collection. 

As I say, its no bad thing its the kind of brand loyalty most companies can only dream of but it should be treated with some reverence. 

55 minutes ago, Z526 said:

No offence to them, since people have done the more than a century of work to build the brand to this point, but they could make a guitar out of dog poops set in epoxy and someone would buy it for their collection. 

As I say, its no bad thing its the kind of brand loyalty most companies can only dream of but it should be treated with some reverence. 

So what is this all about?

Owning the whole set, or having a good musical instrument to play?

RBSinTo

From the time this thread was born until now is nearly twelve years.  During those years Gibson has added 73,831 more variations of the J45........  Seriously, I enjoy these old threads popping-up. It’s a nice trip down memory lane.  Helps us recall old friends during our musical journey.

32 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

From the time this thread was born until now is nearly twelve years.  During those years Gibson has added 73,831 more variations of the J45........  Seriously, I enjoy these old threads popping-up. It’s a nice trip down memory lane.  Helps us recall old friends during our musical journey.

I guess.   

6 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

So what is this all about?

Owning the whole set, or having a good musical instrument to play?

RBSinTo

Depends whos buying. 

Likewise depends who came up with it at Gibson, was it someome insterested in music or someone after a profit. 

6 hours ago, Z526 said:

Depends whos buying. 

Likewise depends who came up with it at Gibson, was it someome insterested in music or someone after a profit. 

Gee. Lemme guess.

When they issue variations like the j45-j50 look-alike and such, I'd say profit.

RBSinTo