Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Car Start Up/Engine Rev Sound

Tman5293

leave it to the boy who works with race cars...

First up a Renault F1 engine on the dyno, yes that is the fuel being sprayed directly into the intake, it provides better atomization for the fuel allowing optimal power and efficiency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_QyUD6V5_I

20B Three Rotor Race engine, they used these in the Mazda Le Mans Race cars, I dont know what they rev out to but my buddies two rotor 13B makes its power at 11.5K RPM. This one sound peripherally ported.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfghudUfoM

I like anything that winds high and screams loud, the lopy cam chugging of V8s has gotten tiring over the last 5 years, most people I see driving muscle cars either have small wangs or think there cars are unbeatable but its just sooooo not true.

...the lopy cam chugging of V8s has gotten tiring over the last 5 years, most people I see driving muscle cars either have small wangs or think there cars are unbeatable but its just sooooo not true.

Some of us just like our old, 8 cylinder, real wheel drive cars. Never saw a reason to go to 4 cylinder front wheel, nobody asked me, I never bought it, I never will.

And please please please explain to yer peers that yes, their 1700 pound bucket of crap SHOULD very well "beat" my 4295 pound empty car to the next red light.

rct

Do I really need a motor that has to turn 15,000 rpms to make enough torque to get my car out of the garage?

I want one of these!!!! I once owned a semi with a 8V92 w/2 turbos a blower and a aftercooler, 900 horses and 1600 ft lbs of twist power..@2,000 RPM!.it could move over 125,000 lbs with ease, I pulled 80K over 80 mph. Lets see you're little high winder do that!!!!

Some of us just like our old, 8 cylinder, real wheel drive cars. Never saw a reason to go to 4 cylinder front wheel, nobody asked me, I never bought it, I never will.

And please please please explain to yer peers that yes, their 1700 pound bucket of crap SHOULD very well "beat" my 4295 pound empty car to the next red light.

rct

Racing lights on a road is for retards, I say that as a person who holds both an NHRA license and a SCCA Solo license. Neither of the motors I listed are 4 cylinder and neither were in front wheel drive cars. The Renault as all FIA approved F1 cars utilizes a 90* V8 with a maximum of 2.4L of displacement, The 20B as all rotary engines is marvelous not only does it have minimal moving parts (I think about 8 in total) allowing them to rev higher then any piston engine could ever dream of, and the 20 in 20B refers to it being a 2.0L engine however due to the design of the rotary engine it produces the power equivalent to that of a 4.2L engine. I dont mind v8's but the fact that for 9 hours a day 5 days a week for 5 years I have sold the parts and given advice to people to turn there v8's into race cars its what I get paid to do. It gets boring its all the same take any V8 throw a 282 cam into it and it will chug just like any other V8.

Renault

renault-f1-r27_460x0w.jpg

Mazda 787B (first use of the 20B rotary)

787b.jpg

Thats my friend/coworkers 1967 Chevy II with a Reher Morrison built engine it cranks out 683HP on All Motor and propels that 3100lb Chevy II down the 1/4 mile at 9.8s almost dead on every time and is the car I got my NHRA license in.

kevscar006.jpg

Some of you guys need to keep your asinine remarks to yourself, sometimes I wonder if you're horribly attempting to troll or what, especially the people with several more years on there age, what did you never have the opportunity to GROW UP?

So what I don't personally like V8s big whoop, its not like I went outta my way to slander them or anything, geesh. In my line of work there is no bias against engines, hell I dont even have a bias against a brand be it domestic or import or if it has 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 cylinders. An aficionado does not get hung up on brands, labels, names, point of origin or anything like that, try it out some day you might like it. Trust me I started racing go karts 13 years ago and have only gone up from there, the size of the engine never means one thing...harder suspension geometry to make the car handle, I dont know how many of you have even tried tossing a car into a corner at 120km/h but a front heavy car (V8s ESPECIALLY big blocks) have so much weight you will suffer from a little symptom called understeer.

Since the majority of you probably dont know...

Understeer: When the front end of your car plows through a corner due to turning slower then the radius of the corner, also meaning the front end of your car hits the wall.

Oversteer: When the rear of your of your car kicks out further then your front due to the rear end trying to turn faster then the radius of the corner this is also the point when your car will spin if you cant regain control, also meaning your arse end will hit the wall first.

Both have applications even in racing. Oversteer is the most common occurrence in racing, left foot braking is an advanced brake technique used in SCCA racing with get this...FWD cars, to induce oversteer since the drive wheels are in the front instead of the rear, oversteering is pretty much the fastest way through a corner when controlled properly and by that I mean the slip angle is less then 3* any more and you start getting into show (drifting). Understeer is WAY less common and is an extremely advanced technique used on corners that have multiple apexes and is a way for a racer to confuse a less seasoned racing by changing your line in the middle of a corner, this will confuse any driver who is not expecting.

Who cars if it has understeer and oversteer, i just want to get to point A to point B in a god damn nice car.

The X-factor to driving a car is to enjoy your self and have fun. Not how fast it goes.

Agreed! I've always said, if I won the lottery, I would not buy a hugely expensive exotic sports car (okay, I might lease one for a week or two). I would buy a fleet of first gen RX7's, because I love them, they're a riot to drive, and I love the sound of a rotary engine. I take my two RX7's in for servicing at RX7 Specialties, and the guys are always working on RX7's that they're modding for this race and that race, and there is just something about the sound of those engines that I love. I do love a real throaty V8 too tho'. Anyway, this isn't a 20b, but it's a nice sounding 13b...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqjeQKOxfdA&feature=related

Some of you guys need to keep your asinine remarks to yourself, sometimes I wonder if you're horribly attempting to troll or what, especially the people with several more years on there age, what did you never have the opportunity to GROW UP?

Grow up? Really? I don't recall ever telling anyone that they don't like big 8's because of their weiner size. Really. I get so sick of people that are obsessed with weiners telling ME that I drive a car because I'm obsessed with my weiner size, AND I'M NOT THE ONE THAT EVER TALKS ABOUT WEINER SIZE. Talk about growing up!

So what I don't personally like V8s big whoop, its not like I went outta my way to slander them or anything, geesh.

Newsflash, and yet another big whoop: Some people do like V8s. And they didn't go out of their way to slander little cars or overwinders or talk about the weiners of the people that drive them.

In my line of work there is no bias against engines, hell I dont even have a bias against a brand be it domestic or import or if it has 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 cylinders. An aficionado does not get hung up on brands, labels, names, point of origin or anything like that, try it out some day you might like it.

Really? At what point does the officanado get concerned about what deep rooted psychological problems other people are covering by driving large caliber rear wheel drive cars that, to them, just like everyone elses car, is unbeatable? Seriously. I get so sick of hearing that dumba ss bulls hit. You don't like that someone drives a big rumbling monster that eats dino juice? Big whoop, right?

Trust me I started racing go karts 13 years ago and have only gone up from there, the size of the engine never means one thing...harder suspension geometry to make the car handle, I dont know how many of you have even tried tossing a car into a corner at 120km/h but a front heavy car (V8s ESPECIALLY big blocks) have so much weight you will suffer from a little symptom called understeer.

Understeer: When the front end of your car plows through a corner due to turning slower then the radius of the corner, also meaning the front end of your car hits the wall.

Oversteer: When the rear of your of your car kicks out further then your front due to the rear end trying to turn faster then the radius of the corner this is also the point when your car will spin if you cant regain control, also meaning your arse end will hit the wall first.

Both have applications even in racing. Oversteer is the most common occurrence in racing, left foot braking is an advanced brake technique used in SCCA racing with get this...FWD cars, to induce oversteer since the drive wheels are in the front instead of the rear, oversteering is pretty much the fastest way through a corner when controlled properly and by that I mean the slip angle is less then 3* any more and you start getting into show (drifting). Understeer is WAY less common and is an extremely advanced technique used on corners that have multiple apexes and is a way for a racer to confuse a less seasoned racing by changing your line in the middle of a corner, this will confuse any driver who is not expecting.

Big deal. I can pontificate all day madly about all of the finer points about what makes a guitar a guitar, but I don't. And when others choose something I don't use, I don't point out immediatlely that they are using a pointy shred machine to make up for their small wang. Try it. It works good.

For further edification on automobiles, go to forcefed4.com and ask around for CrownVic.

rct

im 41 i refuse to grow up. and when i do act my age people think im mad at them [biggrin]

So what I don't personally like V8s big whoop, its not like I went outta my way to slander them or anything, geesh. In my line of work there is no bias against engines, hell I dont even have a bias against a brand be it domestic or import or if it has 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 cylinders. An aficionado does not get hung up on brands, labels, names, point of origin or anything like that, try it out some day you might like it. Trust me I started racing go karts 13 years ago and have only gone up from there, the size of the engine never means one thing...harder suspension geometry to make the car handle, I dont know how many of you have even tried tossing a car into a corner at 120km/h but a front heavy car (V8s ESPECIALLY big blocks) have so much weight you will suffer from a little symptom called understeer.

The topic was favorite car start up/engine rev sounds, not oversteer, understeer, yada yada...it is a light subject, you shouldn't keep so worked up over it....

I have owned over 80 vehicles since 1965; a 1959 El Camino which would be worth a bucket of money now, a 67' GTO, a 72' Vette, a Jag 120, a Austin Healy two MG's a BMW 2002, many modified cars and bikes...my favorite was my 1972 Alfa Romero GTV 2000 was the best driving car I ever owned! Italian's know how to build a car that is fun to drive...

I have always been impressed with the Wankle or Rotary engine, like you say fewer parts, light weight, but they eat a lot of fuel, they tend to run a bit hot, and have a high torque curve...they don't really come alive till they are revved up..I like low end power. You can call me names all day, I will still like low end power. I am old, I don't want to stand on the throttle and shift 500 times between my house and the take out one mile away...

But while we are on the topic of engines with few moving part, how about a Cummins? A low rev diesel that can go 300K with no problem, can pull a house, it can fit in a small truck, and only has 130 moving parts....compared to the GM Duramax that has 3500 moving parts....

Archived