Gibson Brands Forums

NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Has Made A Major Discovery!

Tman5293

Au contraire, mon frere. What I meant was that what we perceive as our universe is merely that--our perception. I am of the belief that time is a man-made concept. Granted, any and all events seem to us to move in a linear fashion. We have devised a method of measurement for that based on our perceptions of that. What I was thinking is that another life form may have a different perception of the same time-frame. In other words, think of a hummingbird's wings and how fast they beat. Then think of a tree growing and how slow it seems. Both take place at different speeds (based on our perceptions), yet both coexist within the same time-frame. They merely seem different (fast and slow) based on our perceptions of them (because of the system we use to measure time). Everything seems relative to us (and our need to quantify). As far as alternate universes go, I have heard of the theories of multiverse, but what I'm suggesting is not separate bubbles side-by-side, but rather a bubble within another bubble (our universe bubble being microscopic size within another bubble of vast size-- kinda like our universe being some other lifeform's microscopic observation.

Forgive me if this doesn't make a lot of sense--sometimes I am not the best at explaining concepts I have.

Water on Mars is certainly exciting. I got to know Gerald Soffen pretty well while I was working at NASA. He was Project Scientist for NASA's Viking program. He also co-discovered the "face" on Mars but was criticized by nutballs when he said it was nothing (which is of course true).

Although that mission had a lot of successes one thing that he was disappointed about was that it found no source of carbon, which is essential to life as we know it (although that concept is changing too).

As far as the universe, we have no idea what will happen. It actually may collapse. We may have already been through many cycles of expansion and collapse. Anyhow, the proof isn't there yet and the theory doesn't quite match what we are seeing.

Water on Mars is certainly exciting. I got to know Gerald Soffen pretty well while I was working at NASA. He was Project Scientist for NASA's Viking program. He also co-discovered the "face" on Mars but was criticized by nutballs when he said it was nothing (which is of course true).

Although that mission had a lot of successes one thing that he was disappointed about was that it found no source of carbon, which is essential to life as we know it (although that concept is changing too).

As far as the universe, we have no idea what will happen. It actually may collapse. We may have already been through many cycles of expansion and collapse. Anyhow, the proof isn't there yet and the theory doesn't quite match what we are seeing.

I think that the most amazing thing to me is the learning and evolving. Wasn't it Einstein that once said, "The more I know, the more I realize I don't know." (or words to that effect)?

msp_mellow.gif

I think that the most amazing thing to me is the learning and evolving. Wasn't it Einstein that once said, "The more I know, the more I realize I don't know." (or words to that effect)?

msp_mellow.gif

I think it was John Owen, but in any event it's certainly true. I just got done writing the second edition of our book, which is now 730 pages of mostly heavy duty math (over 2,000 equations). I thought I knew one particular concept really well; for those who took probability it's the Cramer-Rao inequality. But I just found out some knew things that I didn't know about it and these things blew my mind way. Now I'm revisiting an old concept I learned back in college to get a better understanding of the parts I didn't know. But that's the fun part of learning.

Guest farnsbarns

I share the exact same point of view as you do. I believe that there are most likely thousands, if not millions, of other planets out there that orbit stars in the habitable zone and could support life. When it comes to defining a life form, I completely understand and agree with what you're saying. It seems like scientists look for life in places that only meet Earth standards. There could very well be life somewhere else that thrives off of completely different substances than water, oxygen, and carbon. For instance, some scientists believe that there may be life that thrives on Saturn's moon, Titan. The only difference is that any life there would be living off of liquid methane instead of liquid water. I think in your second to last point you're referring to what is know as the Multiverse Theory. The idea that our universe exists in some kind of bubble in a space with many other bubbles containing other universes. The only problem with that is there isn't a single shred of proof to support it. However, I do not agree with your last statement. Time is an unchanging constant. What you're proposing is that going to another part of the universe, or even another universe all together, would cause time to somehow either speed up or slow down. You're saying that it's possible that time can be faster or slower in other parts of the universe. This I do not believe to be true.

It is absolutely, unequivocal, prooven fact that time runs at different speeds in different places. It is effected by gravity. The greater the gravitational pull in any given place the slower time runs. Also, the faster an object moves, the slower time runs and the more mass the object has.

This is why information of matter is not lost at the event horizon of a black hole, instead it is standing still in time.

It is absolutely, unequivocal, prooven fact that time runs at different speeds in different places. It is effected by gravity. The greater the gravitational pull in any given place the slower time runs. Also, the faster an object moves, the slower time runs and the more mass the object has.

This is why information of matter is not lost at the event horizon of a black hole, instead it is standing still in time.

Given that "Time slows as you approach the speed of light," and "Time flies when you're having fun," do you age slower if you walk faster and have less fun?? That would suck . . .

msp_scared.gif

No. Gravity only changes time where it is present. It also only changes how time is perceived. Only those near the source of the gravity will experience a change. In a vacuum, time is constant.

Depends on your speed. The traveler will experience time the same. Everyone else around the traveler will experience it differently. One way to view particles that don't last very long is to speed them up to near the speed of light. The appear to move slower so we (being the outside observer) can view them for a longer period.

Guest farnsbarns

No. Gravity only changes time where it is present. It also only changes how time is perceived. Only those near the source of the gravity will experience a change. In a vacuum, time is constant.

A vacuum has no effect on time. The only constant is the speed of light in a vacuum. It is the C in E=MC2

Energy=Mass X the universal constant, squared.

Mass is an odd one though because none of the individual components of an atom have any mass but as a whole they do. This is where the Higgs Boson comes in.

All forsces have a related carrying partical and the Higgs carries mass. The other sub atomics we know must exist but cannot yet find is the graviton, the particle carrier for gravity.

There are only 4 real forces in the univers (none contact forces), we know these as the weak force, the strong force, gravity and electromagnetism. They are the result of the Exchange in fermions which are believed to transfer a charge from one carrying sub atomic partical to another. So mass becomes gravity. This is why the Higgs and the graviton are so important.

Using E=MC2 one can calculate the energy stored in a single atom which, once multiplied by the speed of light and then squared, is huge. Hence the atom bomb.

Phew, sorry about that. I am rather well read in quantum mechanics and it is just so damned amazing I get a little bit empassioned.

In half of that time if we continue on this course of not using birth control, bacteria continues to get smarter so that medicines will no longer work and finally our total lack of caring for mother earth and it will be over soon.

There's an article in the June issue of Scientific American about smart bacteria.

So-o-o-o many Mars experts. :rolleyes:

Once I re-invent the Illudium PU-36 Space Modulator you're all toast anyways.

MTM.jpg

I think this discovery is totally cool. Something we hadn't a clue about in our childhood. What next?

Um, ah, so, ah, why has this thread slowed down ????? [unsure][crying][confused] ....

Could it be, uh, " Dobro = neck (squared) ????? :-k :-k :-k .......

*Shrug* I love space too, I am a huge nerd like that always going to the planet-arium and stuff, space is just too cool and mystifying (nerd alert!)

Archived