Gibson Brands Forums

Price didn't mean value

awel

Hi,

You know life is sometime strange, when you start playing you dream about very expensive guitars (Gibson or other), and I don't want to look like someone who spit on money or whatever, but now I have the luck to have few very good guitars (thanks to my parents), a black beauty, a R7, a traditional and a SG 61 reissue; and you know what ... I prefer my traditional to my R7!!! Cannot explain why the sound of my R7 is very good, but I feel more comfortable on my traditional, and if you want me to tell the whole truth, my prefered one is my SG 61, and it is the cheapest!!!

So at the end it is not the price that defines the value of a guitar but the your personal feeling.

(So I am selling the R7 because I am not a 'collectioneur' but a player and I don't care to have an R7 just for sayin' I am owning a R7)

I've got a few guitars and my choice to play at home is a cheap Ibanez SA160. I love the neck on it. It's an unfinished neck and is silky smooth.

Perhaps Gibson should take note. Do a Les Paul with an unfinished neck. I read loads of posts about sticky necks.

I've got a few guitars and my choice to play at home is a cheap Ibanez SA160. I love the neck on it. It's an unfinished neck and is silky smooth.

Perhaps Gibson should take note. Do a Les Paul with an unfinished neck. I read loads of posts about sticky necks.

All of dem00n's guitar necks are sticky....[scared][crying] :unsure: ....Except his awesome Gibby.........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ......

Hmmm....I am a player and a collector.....I do not have an R7 yet, nor an R8 or R9...........

I do understand your thinking Awel though.....My Traditional + is my main guitar, even though I own

more expensive guitars......I think you are a " Traditionalist ".........Gibby wise...:unsure: [thumbup]eusa_clap.gif .........

The Zack Wylde Les Pauls have unfinished necks

I hear ya. You like what you like!! I happen to love my Epiphone Les Paul Custom....$800 and the thing plays like a dream!!! Also my $800 American Special Tele plays and sounds awesome as well...

$800 is the most i have ever paid for a guitar...i might go up to $1000...but i got lots of other stuff I wanna buy too soooo...maybe not. :)

I have 4 Gibson basses and 1 can of Finger Ease...........

As I look back at stuff, I'd say that price tag is not necessarily the criterion of what makes a guitar "good" for me.

OTOH, I don't think I could easily replace my longtime main guitars for anything less than $1,000 although in the 1970s they were $500-800. That archtop electric... well it'd take a current ES175 to be a proper replacement and that's well over $1,000.

Still, there are some midrange Epis that are awfully nice. Frankly I think the Epi Dot is probably the best guitar bang for a buck I've ever seen. Yeah, that's just a matter of personal opinion, but the current Chinese models seem to even have decent electrical stuff. So for roughly $500 new today in the US off the big web companies you have a nicely playable and versatile instrument and hard case.

For what it's worth, our friends on the Epi forum from Oz are paying an awful lot more for Epis and down under the brand seems to get a lot more respect than in the US.

I also agree that there are some guitars that just click with a given player and some that don't and won't - and that's regardless of price tag. I've read some very nice things about some of the $150 price range Epi acoustics from some longtime pickers.

m

Finally someone with a bit of sense! +1

Guitars in almost every price range are hit or miss. Anymore you can find excellent guitars even starting at the $200.00 price range. I'm not saying they might not need a little work like a good fret level and crowning,( although I've seen plenty of High Dollar guitars that still need this too) Tuning keys and pickups but as long as the body and neck are made well ( especially the neck ) then you have the base for a great sounding and playing guitar.

When it comes down to it, what is most important is that the guitar feels and sounds the way you like it. This is what will inspire you to play. This guitar may seem like crap to someone else but it doesn't matter. It is all about what guitar feels good and speaks to you. Funny thing is you could get another SG and you might not like it near as much as the one you have. Hang on to the ones you like forever!

BTW I prefer my SG too and I hated SG's before I picked this one up.

Regards,

Andy

A guitar is a guitar, the amount of $ you drop on one isn't always an indicator of which is best!

A good guitar is a good guitar, I prefer my strat to guitars I've played that are three times the price tag!

Last year I went on the hunt for a new Strat so that I could semi-retire my old '65 and save her from wear and tear. I set a limit of $2,500 so money really was no object as most Strats aside from Custom Shop models come in under that price point.I made it a point not to look at the price,model and country of origin while I tried them and in the end the one that really spoke to me was a $900 Jimmie Vaughn which was MIM and at the bottom of the price list of all the Strats I tried.I loved the Olympic White paint and maple neck as they had a real Hendrix vibe and the sound was the closest that I've heard to my trusty old '65 Strat.Price doesn't necessesarily equate to quality and there is a lot of gear that is priced was above its real value and conversely as in the case of the J.V. Strat some really give you bang for the buck.

[confused] $800 is some serious coin IMO.... For $800 I would expect value

Me too... I did say earlier that after the $1000 mark everything is professional quality and it all comes down to preferences at that point; but even at the $800 level you certainly can expect a good guitar. Most companies today offer instruments in this price range that could stand next to their high end models. I certainlly wouldn't call a guitar in this price range junk. They're usually priced with the working musician in mind... priced affordably but designed for someone who needs a reliable work horse for gigging and in the studio on a budget. You might have to go through more guitars to find the right one for you in this price range, but there are lots of them that are just as good as anything you'll find over$1000.

I have to concur with the majority on this one. Sound and playability is #1 for us players (vs. the collectors and investors). Seems like when you get into the higher dollar values, you end up paying for visual things like inlays, wood grain patterns, gold-plated bells, and shiny whistles. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I'm pretty sure that inlays and pretty bindings don't change the sound that much. My own truth is, the most comfortable (to me) playing guitar I own is a MIM Strat I paid $300 for new. The most comfortable playing Gibson I have is an old Studio (old, as in, weighs a ton--no weight relieving, and probably was not that expensive when new). I love them both, as they definitely have entirely different sounds. That's why I have them both. Gotta have a Gibson Les Paul sound and gotta have a Fender Strat sound. But the bottom line is: they look OK, are not extravagant in looks, but they both sound and play just the way I want them to. My opinion as a player.

Archived