Gibson Brands Forums

Ever shipped from US to EU? What should be the price ?

EuroAussie

There is a used Gibson Im interested in that is in Chicago right now. (wont tell you which one) :-)

Price is fair but when i checked the full cost I received a quote of around $1300 for shipping, which was not even romotely funny. This is with UPS.

I neve shipped from the US but looking on ebay at shipping prices to Prague, Czech Republic it normally comes in at around $200-$300. (btw, this is not through ebay)

Can anyone advise what should be the relative price as this seems quite absurd.

Thank you in advance.

I'm in The Netherlands and with my last purchase from America the shippingcosts where paid by the seller, wich were included in the selling price I'm sure. I think it should be around $200 - $300 indeed.

What shocked me was the import price I had to pay to the Dutch customs. It was a staggering 35% [scared] because it came from outside the EU. I don't how this works in the Czech Republic but make sure to check it.

Yeah I've never done it because to ship to England I would have to pay import duty and VAT which totals to something like 40% :unsure:

Yeah I wish I knew that in advance :lol:

Good thing the Gib itself was pretty much a bargain.

Thanks a lot for your prompt input guys. I thougth the postal charge should be around $200 which was confirmed. Unfortunately the czech reublic just very recently started adding VAT and import duty, so i need to check this to see if it makes sense..

Boy, this is such a perfect guitar, just the one i wanted with the finish i wanted ...

btw: i just did my own query on UPS and Fedex and i received a very similar quotation of over $1000, so i dont really seem to get it ..

I have bought six guitars from the US during the last five years. I am in Sweden, by the way. Last time shipping was 150 dollars with US Postal Service. With UPS it has been 200-300. The VAT will be based on the declared value on the customs form the seller has to fill out before shipping. This will also be the maximum value that can be recovered should something go wrong (which it VERY rarely does). The declared value, of course, depends on the moral standards of you and the seller.

It has been very easy and without trouble for me to purchase from the US and I will likely do it again.

Lars

Actually i think i found the perfect solution. We have an office in Chicage thats 10 mins from the store. I have a good contat there and will ask her to pick up the guitar and organise delivery through USPS which seems to quote $55.00 ... can you believe it ??

VAT in Czech republic is 20% which will still make this guitar worthwhile. If worst comes to worst and its a Gibby dud I could still sell it locally for a signficant profit.

Lets see how this all unfolds ... exciting though.

Maybe they don't like the Czech Republic for some reason.... Have you tried getting a quote to a different country near just to see if there's much difference?

Very close .... a gorgeous sunburst 2004 J-150. Except, and pardon my french, the dickheads just informed me thats its already been sold.

Then why advertise and ruin expectations .. ???????????

Especially when my contact in Chicago was ready to ship it over with USPS for less than $100 ... well, at least Mrs EA will be happy.

I'm not.

My guess = J-200

Very close .... a gorgeous sunburst 2004 J-150. Except, and pardon my french, the dickheads just informed me thats its already been sold.

Then why advertise and ruin expectations .. ???????????

Especially when my contact in Chicago was ready to ship it over with USPS for less than $100 ... well, at least Mrs EA will be happy.

I'm not.

A shame -

Just had the same experience with a Martin HD-28V. Intend to find the right one before fall -

Archived