Gibson Brands Forums

Need Hardshell Case for ES125

G McBride

I recently purchased a ES125. It came in a case but not a good one. It is in a cardboard case like you got years ago with an inexpensive guitar.

I intend to hang on to this guitar for a long time so I would like to have a good hardshell case for it. Anyone have any suggestions where to start?

I have two. One is your run of the mill Everest case. When I sell the guitar that is the case that is going with it.

Take your guitar to a guitar shop and you will find something that fits. A dreadnought is about 1/2 in smaller than a 125. A jumbo is about 1/2 in larger.

My other case is a TRIC (the ones they use for Godin 5th Aves.

It fits well as well as long as no one put a strap button on the end of the heel.

I will keep the TRIC since it fits my ES165 and is oooh so light.

I think I am going to measure it up and get a quote from Cedar Creek Custom Case Shoppe. MIght have to spend a couple extra bucks and get exactly what I want.

I intend for this to become a family heirloom so it needs a good protective case.

Oddly enough, I have had the exact same experience - I bought a 1954 ES-125, which came to me in a terrible aftermarket acoustic Dreadnought case that was putting serious downward pressure on the bridge and top of the guitar.

Unless you are touring with it I think a custom case is needless (and very expensive) overkill. TKL are industry standard and make fantastic high quality cases - I read somewhere that they have been Gibson's case provider since 1990. I bought one for less than $200 retail and it was perfect... I actually kept the case after I sold the ES-125, and now it keeps my 1949 L-48 safe for future generations! I would think almost any music store could order you one, just make SURE it's an archtop model! Like one of these:

My link

• 1 month later...

Oddly enough, I have had the exact same experience - I bought a 1954 ES-125, which came to me in a terrible aftermarket acoustic Dreadnought case that was putting serious downward pressure on the bridge and top of the guitar.

Unless you are touring with it I think a custom case is needless (and very expensive) overkill. TKL are industry standard and make fantastic high quality cases - I read somewhere that they have been Gibson's case provider since 1990. I bought one for less than $200 retail and it was perfect... I actually kept the case after I sold the ES-125, and now it keeps my 1949 L-48 safe for future generations! I would think almost any music store could order you one, just make SURE it's an archtop model! Like one of these:

My link

...Just came across this thread, Thanks guys for all this info!

[biggrin]

Hey Bootbun,...could you kindly let me know the exact TKL case that fits your guitar from the list below?

TKL 7816 TKL Premier Small Jumbo / 175-Style Guitar Case View Image 189.95

TKL 8816 TKL Prestige Arch-Top Small Jumbo / 175-Style Guitar Cas 229.95

TKL 8816 TW TKL Prestige Arch-Top Small Jumbo / 175-Style Guitar Cas (Tweed) 294.95

TKL 8916 TKL Professional Arch-Top Small Jumbo / 175-Style Guitar 314.95

TKL 8916 TW TKL Professional Arch-Top Small Jumbo / 175-Style Guitar (Tweed) 379.95

TKL 9116 TKL Elite Arch-Top / Arch-Back Small Jumbo / 175-Style Guitar Case 379.95

TKL 9116 TW TKL Elite Arch-Top / Arch-Back Small Jumbo / 175-Style Guitar Case (Tweed) 444.95

Would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks....

• 4 months later...

One other possibility: Elderly Guitars in Lansing, MI http://www.elderly.com/ maintains a data base of which cases fit which guitars. You might give them a call.

Thanks so much for this link! I was having a heck of a time finding a case to fit the 1950's ES125 I recently inherited from my Dad. It was in the original case which was completely falling apart. I called up Elderly Instruments, and they knew exactly which case would fit this guitar. After comparing the measurements with them on the phone, I ordered it online and am happy to say the guitar fits perfectly! The case is the GCEV-SF Canadian "Small-F" Guitar Case.

Archived