Gibson Brands Forums

replacement screws

eor

getting ready to tinker with my guitars and i was wondering about the screws used to hold in the pups, guard, etc. they are all made of a cheesy soft metal and they get stripped really easily.

so i was wondering if anyone knew of more sturdy replacements- or what sizes i should source or whatever. for the elitists, too. thanks!

eBay, I've amassed quite a collection of screws from eBay. Pickguard screws for F and G style guitars are different, just make sure you get the right ones, it should be mentioned in the description.

eBay, I've amassed quite a collection of screws from eBay. Pickguard screws for F and G style guitars are different, just make sure you get the right ones, it should be mentioned in the description.

Interesting.

I've always used a local store-brand 'Gibson-style' pickguard screws on my Epis and my Strat without issue. [confused]

^^^^^^

My forum editor's playing up so I can't quote, all I get is a box of HTML.

I live in the country, I'd be lucky to find an assortment of screws that small in this hick little hole, and finding chrome and gold plated screws, of any size, is all but a dream (nightmare).

Those prices are ridiculous Brian, that's why I much prefer eBay for little things like that.

It's $4 for 20 screws - 20 cents a piece is too much?

$18 for 100, so 18 cents a piece. If you have an account, price is half that...

Interesting.

I've always used a local store-brand 'Gibson-style' pickguard screws on my Epis and my Strat without issue. [confused]

^^^^^^

My forum editor's playing up so I can't quote.

I live in the country, I'd be lucky to find an assortment of screws that small in this hick little hole, and finding chrome and gold plated screws, of any size, is all but a dream (nightmare).

Gosh darnit, gone and misstated something again. The screws I buy are fender-style, not Gibson style. I've used a lot more of them on my Epis than on my strat though. [biggrin]

And when I say 'local,' I mean 'in New Zealand.' [flapper]

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Details.cfm?ProdID=205&category=

It's $4 for 20 screws - 20 cents a piece is too much?

$18 for 100, so 18 cents a piece.  If you have an account, price is half that...

That's for Nickel, Gold is $10.50 and Black is $10, 2 1/2 times the price of Nickel, ridiculous.

@Sjael

Fender PG screws are #4 x 1/2" and Gibby ones are #3 x 3/8". It's always easy to put larger screws into smaller holes, but the opposite isn't possible, not without "toothpicking" the hole first, and that's just a fudge.

Gold is $10.50 and Black is $10, 2 1/2 times the price of Nickel, ridiculous.

Couldn't agree more. That IS ridiculous and I would never pay that. Unless, of course, they were "Limited Edition Gibson" screws. :rolleyes:

But I guess, at the end of the day, it all comes down to how bad someone wants a screw? :unsure:

didn't realize screws were such srs business around here. any idea what the stock screws are made of? i'd like to avoid that material if i could. if not, i'll just assume there are all made of the same crap and buy a bunch of them. the truss rod and pick guard screws are especially bad.

didn't realize screws were such srs business around here. any idea what the stock screws are made of? i'd like to avoid that material if i could. if not, i'll just assume there are all made of the same crap and buy a bunch of them. the truss rod and pick guard screws are especially bad.

I would imagine they are made of mild steel, there's many grades of mild steel though, really the only way to test them would be to grab a variety and subject them to a hardness testing machine, but I doubt there'd be much variation for all practical purposes.

Archived