Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Wildkat Review

AlanH

I've been a bit more generous then!

If you're evaluating it across the whole guitar spectrum then 6.5-7.5 would be fair I guess, when a custom shop guitar would fare better. However, I've also taken in to account the cost of the instrument when arriving at my scores. The fact that it's a very nicely finished, great sounding and versatile instrument means it would not be out of place in a semi pro / pro situation. Indeed there are numerous examples of pros who use the 'Kat series: My Chemical Romance; Barry Gibb has a FlameKat; Alvin Startdust has a Wildkat.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bbTtPL1jRs

The major faults with mine...The obvious warped body, some finish flaws and the two extra screw holes under the neck pickup mounting ring, are pretty cheesy. These are the things that detract from a higher score. The body warp is some kinda weird fluke...who knows where that came from. It wasn't there when new, so I can't really fault Epi QC for it. That someone drilled the holes for the neck pickup incorrectly then fixed it with more holes should never have happened. The finish flaws are minor, but there.

As I said, however, I like guitar. It plays very well and sounds good. I don't expect custom shop attention to detail from a $400 guitar.

HPIM0663.jpg

EG

The major faults with mine...The obvious warped body, some finish flaws and the two extra screw holes under the neck pickup mounting ring, are pretty cheesy. These are the things that detract from a higher score. The body warp is some kinda weird fluke...who knows where that came from. It wasn't there when new, so I can't really fault Epi QC for it. That someone drilled the holes for the neck pickup incorrectly then fixed it with more holes should never have happened. The finish flaws are minor, but there.

As I said, however, I like guitar. It plays very well and sounds good. I don't expect custom shop attention to detail from a $400 guitar.

HPIM0663.jpg

EG

Seems like you've had some unfortunate problems there. I agree that, in this price range, you can live with certain faults and finish issues but the extra holes and the warped body you've got on your Alleykat are a bummer. Your guitar certainly is a nice looker so that must offset that disappointment somewhat.

BTW, I notice from above that you've changed a lot of the electronics. I'm also not a fan of Epi branded buckers but I really like their P90s on the Wildkat.

yeah wtahs with those orange knobs. i took those off my 56 gold top epi replaced them with gold top hats.

Same here! The amber knobs work just fine with most of the bursts, but just stick our like a sore thumb on others.

My trans-bule got chrome Tele-style knobs:

Sany0032.jpg

...and the Goldtop got the "reflector" treatment:

Sany0030.jpg

Jim

I´m sorry Alan....I ment awesome!! I´m not perfect in english but I hope to improve

Most people can get good tones out of their stock Wildkats. The Epiphone P90s are pretty good.

What don't you like about the sound from yours?

Alan

• 7 years later...

I went through Jonesy at ToneMojo (http://jonesyblues.com/). He asked me for some measurements between switch, knobs, jack, and such, as he'd never done a WildKat harness before, and it fit real nice. He'll probably remember doing the kit; I asked for a .033 PIO cap, which he installed, but he also threw in a bonus .022 if I ever decide to get dirty and change it out. Drop him an email, he's a stand-up guy and great to deal with. Maybe a bit pricey, but I thought it was worth it.

You will need to get new knobs, though, as the stock shafts are metric and Jonesy uses CTS (US gauge) pots. You'll also need to bore out the holes a touch; just wrap some sandpaper around a pencil shaft and do it manually. It only took me about 5 minutes per hole, real simple.

And brush up on your soldering before the kit arrives! [rolleyes]

Pennyman...your spot on!! I rewired my 2000 Wildkat and was amazed at the improved tone. Used braided wire, switchcraft jack and toggle, cts pots, etc. Big improvement on a guitar I rarely played before!! Glad I hung on to it and extra glad I did the rewire on it.

Archived