Gibson Brands Forums

keyboards

chris.

What are you going to use it for? Home recording? Gigs? Is it going to move around alot or stay in one place? What kind of sound are you wanting to use? Synths? Standard keys (piano, organ, etc.), MIDI controller?

So many questions, so little time . . .

Yamaha makes some really good multi voice keyboards for under a grand and most are MIDI compatable and Yamaha's piano samples are the most realistic out there.Korg as someone else stated is also quite good.I have an early 90s Yamaha PSR-38 and it has served me well ever since I bought it.It was about $800 at the time but a comparable one is much much cheaper now.

Yamaha makes some really good multi voice keyboards for under a grand and most are MIDI compatable and Yamaha's piano samples are the most realistic out there.Korg as someone else stated is also quite good.I have an early 90s Yamaha PSR-38 and it has served me well ever since I bought it.It was about $800 at the time but a comparable one is much much cheaper now.

+1

What are you going to use it for? Home recording? Gigs? Is it going to move around alot or stay in one place? What kind of sound are you wanting to use? Synths? Standard keys (piano, organ, etc.), MIDI controller?

So many questions, so little time . . .

want im lookin for is 88 keys weighted a great piano sound it will probably moving alot and im using it cause i want to finally really learn the piano ive always played the one at my grandparents houe when i go over there and because of some of the music theory i know i can half way play some stuff on it but i want to become proficient at it i love the way the piano sounds and ive always wanted to learn but i dont want to learn on a cheap instrument or one that would be hard to transfer to a real piano like a 76 key keyboard that doesnt have weighted keys

what about casio? are they good or not ive heard alot of great reviews of them if its between casio and yamaha in the same price range which would be better?

This is only my opinion but definitely Yamaha. I have an upright Yamaha acoustic piano and also an upright electric clavinova piano. The first was recorded on the Yamaha Clavinova using the piano sound and the second was using the haprischord (sorry about the creepy examples LOL) The harpsichord and pipe organ are very accurate IMHO

Piano sound of the clavinova

Harpsichord sound...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZIftSVc6A&feature=channel_video_title

want im lookin for is 88 keys weighted a great piano sound it will probably moving alot and im using it cause i want to finally really learn the piano ive always played the one at my grandparents houe when i go over there and because of some of the music theory i know i can half way play some stuff on it but i want to become proficient at it i love the way the piano sounds and ive always wanted to learn but i dont want to learn on a cheap instrument or one that would be hard to transfer to a real piano like a 76 key keyboard that doesnt have weighted keys

The Yamaha YGP-625 and 635 are pretty nice and are easily found for under $1K. 88 keys, weighted piano action with a very realistic feel. Both are discontinued but can be found used. If you can find the 635 it has an accessory pedal set that makes it more piano like. The 625 only has a sustain pedal. We have a couple friends who are professionals in classical music and opera that use them as training and practice instruments.

Reading this thread makes me think of my old jazz days where I lugged around a Fender Rhodes. Geez, no wonder I have back problems now! I still have my old Casio which I use as a midi trigger for software that came with CUBASE. It meets my keyboard needs now for the most part. Nothing compares to the real deal of my Steinway for piano, but that ain't leaving the house.

IMO Yamaha have done more than any other company to offer quality musical instruments of all types

I've lost count of the number and type of instruments they offer

As well as top range pianos....

Guitars, saxophones, synthesisers, brass, woodwind, percussion

Anything one can shake a stick at...

Notwithstanding their highly lauded motorbikes....

V

:-({|=

Archived