Gibson Brands Forums

Gigging your Gibson

moej45

Just read a post on here where someone mentioned they love their gibson too much to gig it. I understand fear of getting it stolen I guess but you GOT to gig that guitar. They are made to be seen and heard...not sit on a wall! Just my opinion but I can't imagine not bringing it out to gig....everything else would pale in comparison.

When I play smaller gigs, I have a close eye on my babies ALL the time.

if its a larger gig, when nobody has access to the stage area, I can keep calm about it.

if its one of the band member, I go to their gear and mess around with it [flapper]

I agree, they're made to be seen and heard, BUT, some folks are very particular about where they perform and what guitars they are willing to use. It all comes down to what each of us feels comfortable with. I really do understand where those folks are coming-from. There ARE places one doesn't want to take a sweet instrument. It's all good, but I must say that there have been times I was really pleased that I'd brought along my HD28 or one of the Gibsons instead of a beater. Nothing wrong with the beaters when it comes to simply getting-the-job-done, but there are truly times when "only a Gibson is good enough (or a Martin)."....

Geetars are a wonderful combination of a work of art and a tool. But I got 'em to play 'em. They got their fair share of dings and scratches and show the miles put on them - but so do I. Probably what most would consider the worst thing is those I have had with me the longest all acquired a nice coat of nicotene. It did not bother me at the time - if you played in bars long enough it was going to happen. These days though folks get alot more worked up over it then they once did.

Most of the time we get a table near the stage so it is going to be tough to walk out with anything. The time the gear seems to be most vulnerable is when being loaded or unloaded.

I think though the only time I really started to get a bit nervous is when a couple of my electrics started to be worth a pretty good down payment on a house. I seemed to get more questions about what was that thing worth than I was comfortable with. I took to toting them in new cases and telling anyone who asked they were not old but just new "relics."

Yeah, take em out play them, care for them, graciously accept the dings and scratches they pickup and enjoy them, I wouldn't buy a guitar I wouldn't gig with unless it was some unique piece or had belonged to someone special.

I dont see the point of being too precious about standard models or the like, dare I say, it's just a guitar msp_scared.gif

My woody Guthrie is only a couple of months old, has some clouding where my arm rests, a ding from its first gig, a tiny indentation on its 2nd (only 2 weeks old by this point) and 3 months or so in it looks like I've had it a couple of years, I love it.

For me it's play them, it's what they're for!!

In September I'm playing at an outdoor festival, roaming the grounds with friends, new and old, and playing all day. I plan on sweating, it may bet a ding and I'll definitely wear the strings out but I'm taking the 'Bird!! Last year I used an old orange label Yamaha 180. It was a great box but...I gotta let the 'Bird sing!!

I do understand folks not wanting to risk their babies though....

I have three different "levels" of acoustic guitars, (all are Gibsons).

I have my "beater" guitar, can go anywhere, (and usually does).

I have my "nice" guitar that can go to gigs, and places where I know it's safe.

I have a couple of "legacy" guitars, I don't even wear shirts with buttons when I play them!

Archived