Gibson Brands Forums

LP Studio Faded Pups (2011)

ajzwart

Hey guys! After reading the forums for awhile, I've found that the LP Studio Faded models either had Burstbucker (Pro's?) Pups, or the 498T/490R. I wasn't sure what mine had in it, but I thought I recalled the salesman at guitar center saying they had the latter. So today I popped open the humbucker, and on the back it had a stamp that said "Patent Applied For". I'm assuming this means they are the "PAF" style, meaning they are 498T/490R, correct? Also, why did Gibson not stick to just one set of pickups, instead of putting Burstbuckers in some, and PAF's in others?

Thanks guys! Sorry if this question has already been asked before... I'm just slightly confused :huh:

Andrew

I have a Studio Faded 2010 that has Burstbucker Pros. December 2010

Each LP Studio Faded made since 2009 has had Burstbucker Pro's standard to my understanding. Swapping to 498/490s wasn't an option as far as I knew. Only aftermarket. Did you buy it used?

FYI I am pretty sure the PAF sticker is also on the Burstbuckers. I had a 94 SG Standard with 498/490s, they did not have PAF stickers. I had the covers off of those pickups once also.

164116d1269230836-gibson-burstbucker-pro-not-gibson-al5-pickups-small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the studio '60s in satin ebony that was released as a GC special in the US - it has the 490R/498T combo. The Studio faded in red or brown have the BB Pros, so the pickups you have on your guitar depends on the colour you have.

The only Studios that have Burstbuckers are the Faded Cherry and and Faded Brown. The Faded's have been getting Burstbuckers since 2009. The rest of the Studio line comes with 490/498s or P90s.

To get Burstbuckers in another LP, you have to buy a Standard.

• 3 weeks later...

I HAVE A 2007 STUDIO FADED CHERRY, AND HAD THE SAME QUESTION , CONTACTED GIBSON THEY TOLD ME I HAD BURSTBUCKERS, BUT I FOUND A PICK UP SPEC SHEET ,AND TESTED THE PICK UPS , THE NUMBERS ARE 7.57 & 8.06 ,ACCORDING TO THE SPEC SHEET THE 498T IS 12.32 - 13.46 SO THAT RULLED OUT THE 498T , BUT IT COULD BE TWO 490'S, COULD BE BURSTBUCKER 1&2 ALNICO 2'S, COULD BE BURSTBUCKER 1&2 ALNICO 5'S, THATS NOT EVEN GOING TO OTHER GIBSON MODELS , ITS VERY HARD TO IDENITFY GIBSON PICK UPS , SO I'LL TAKE GIBSONS WORD THAT THEY ARE BURSTBUCKER 1&2 ALNICO 5'S ,AND GIBSON TOLD ME I HAVE A MAHOGANY TOP, BUT THE NEWER ONES HAVE A MAPLE TOP.

Cool, but were was the caps lock really necessary??

Cool, but were was the caps lock really necessary??

Maybe it's Bobcat Goldthwait?

I'll have to take out my pickups sometime to see if they are 490R 498Ts which I am sure they are as the base does look different to both burstbuckers pictured here.

Archived