Gibson Brands Forums

Riots in England

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest farnsbarns

Parts of Birmingham now going off as well.

This is it folks, you can all expect this in your own countries in the near future.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bull! The Tottenham riots were fuelled by criminals and thugs who had no interest in the police shooting that preceded.

What followed yesterday and today is criminals all over London seeing how it is done and following suit.

agreed

I just watched a video from the BBC, and I must say, the police there are showing AMAZING restraint. My hats off to the police there, as from what I can see the restraint shown very much seems to be voluntary. From the riots I have seem, these few bad apples would have been separated and taken down, and it is very difficult for a police force to be able to not get caught up in the violence, especially when charged with keeping the peace from such rioters.

I feel for you, more so for them, keep posting so we know you and your's are OK.

Croydon town centre is being trashed as we speak. Got friends in the local force, not to mention Flight959.

We owe a huge debt to our over stretched police force.

Why are the military not being deployed? I like to see how they react to a tank heading towards them!

thanks mate.

why do we need the army though? the police should be able to deal with this, instead of just standing behind the riot sheilds why ain't they firing tear gas and charging at them with there size 9's and cracking some heads? like they did back in the 80's? our force is so lame. #-o

Farns...

One might note that such ... thuggery ... seldom happens in regions where the citizenry in general is armed. In the Rodney King riots - which kept me overnight in LAX en route home from Korea - some Korean biz folks with firearms tended rather well to discourage such behavior.

OTOH, they were taken to task by the media for being bad people for defending their lives and property. That's a major part of the problem.

Perhaps we Anglophones need to emphasize again the meaning of "outlaw" and "defense of one's life and property." We used to have it, and it was from the original Anglophone nation that such a concept evolved. It's sad that this likely will be yet another excuse to tell us we must needs bow down to thugs.

m

Guest farnsbarns

I just watched a video from the BBC, and I must say, the police there are showing AMAZING restraint. My hats off to the police there, as from what I can see the restraint shown very much seems to be voluntary. From the riots I have seem, these few bad apples would have been separated and taken down, and it is very difficult for a police force to be able to not get caught up in the violence, especially when charged with keeping the peace from such rioters.

Yep, unfortunately they have to show restraint because at least half of the people on the streets are spectators. The Police commissioner for London (Who is actually acting commissioner) is asking for them all to go home so they can police this pro-actively. He has also asked every parent who's children are not home to contact their kids and start asking questions.

We really do need to get the army out. unconfirmed tweets about Manchester going off now as well. (EDIT 24 hours later: This appears to have been erroneous at the time but it is happening this evening, confirmed by live tv footage)

I remember the L.A. Rodney King riots all to well. I happened to be away when it happened, but I lived close by just before and after.

In that case, while it was thugs and criminals causing most of the damage, the real cause was utter frustration by a segment of the population. I think in that case, a riot was the natural result. It was the result of continued police brutality agaiants mainly the black community, and the impunity the police seemed to have. It was a growing problem and complaint that continued to not be addressed as it got worse and a growing anger. When it seemed that they were caught red handed and there was no convictions of those on tape, the anger exploded.

The point I say is that it didn't matter that Rodney King had it coming, it didn't matter what the actual case was, nor that those doing the rioting were doing the right thing, but the REASON for the riots and the anger was a very real and geniune issue.

Looking from my society to yours there, I am impressed by the way you are able to separate the issues and put blame where it belongs.

Guest farnsbarns

thanks mate.

why do we need the army though? the police should be able to deal with this, instead of just standing behind the riot sheilds why ain't they firing tear gas and charging at them with there size 9's and cracking some heads? like they did back in the 80's? our force is so lame. #-o

I think that would be a fair point but police numbers have been dramatically cut due to the debt crisis and while, in hindsight, that was a bad decision we can't correct it in days, weeks, or probably even months. We need to stop this now and I reckon a couple of huge tanks trundling down the road would have a profound effect. Armed police even but we have so few of them and such wide spread trouble now I just don't see them bringing this under control in a hurry.

Also tear gas is an option but a lot of the idiot spectators will be indiscriminately involved.

Ahh for **** sake, just watched a copper go down live on the television.

I feel for you. I know you have ties to the police, and as such, I totally get you having the feeling of wanting to kick some *** to those doing harm to your brothers, and your wanting to protect the innocent that you must a feeling of responsibility toward.

Guest farnsbarns

The large guitar shop and studios in Croydon, RockBottom, has been smashed to pieces, looted and set on fire.

To Tommy K

The guy who was shot was mixed race I believe, but the riots, violence, looting and vandalism have been done by whites and blacks. We have a tremendous problem with the chav sub culture who are mostly white. There are also anarchist groups whose members are not the stereotypical child from a broken family, but actually middle class and often educated!

Stein, every country is hard on themselves when things like this happen, but I am proud of our police and the way they handle things.

I wonder how Simon is in all this?

Matt

Guest farnsbarns

They keep reiterating how this is a small group of youngsters. This small group of youngsters have set fire to Tottenham, Peckham, Lewisham, Croydon, Hackney, Deptford, Catford, Bermonsdey parts of Brimingham and others. This is a huge number of our youth.

The grease on the tram tracks and overhead lines is igniting causing it to spread very fast.

The outer parts of Birmingham is being affected now. It's going off in Kings Heath. They should be using tear gas, rubber bullets and water cannons. There should be a total curfew of the country from tonight. It's just F*****g kids being yobs. I've seen this coming since the Handsworth riots. The kids have been 'de-educated' for years now. They're thick and illiterate. It just fun to them. They need the army now and crush this hard. I live in Birmingham and I've been expecting this.

Guest farnsbarns

Oh my god. They have been saying there are "huge numbers" of police officers out tonight. I have been shouting all evening at the TV saying "What is this huge number?". Anyone want to have a guess?

1400 (EDIT 24 HOURS LATER: according to news reports today it was 5000, tonight there is 16000)

Now I am not getting down on the police, they can't help how many of them there are, this is the fault of government, the met and local authorities.

EDIT: London is 1572 km2 (607 square miles) and has a population of over 8,000,000

Guest farnsbarns

At F-ing last. Royal Marines (elite British soldiers) deployed in Croydon.

Talk of full on Marshal Law.

EDIT: This turns out to have been entirely false

Guest farnsbarns

To Tommy K

The guy who was shot was mixed race I believe, but the riots, violence, looting and vandalism have been done by whites and blacks. We have a tremendous problem with the chav sub culture who are mostly white. There are also anarchist groups whose members are not the stereotypical child from a broken family, but actually middle class and often educated!

Stein, every country is hard on themselves when things like this happen, but I am proud of our police and the way they handle things.

I wonder how Simon is in all this?

Matt

I'm really worried about Simon, and another friend who is special branch. Just to be clear for all non Brits, special branch might sound like an elite section, it means voluntary, part timers with much MUCH less training.

I'll tell you something, if you are a tracky/hoodie wearing chav in London or Birmingham, you had better wear jeans and a T-shirt for the next few months. It is probably wrong but people are simply going to tar all chavs with the same brush for some time. I'll try to be open minded but it will be very hard not to discriminate.

Archived