Gibson Brands Forums

ES 330 NO F HOLE!

Cbacon

I have had this guitar since the late 1970's. It's

An absolutely mint cherry sunburst finish with chrome p-90s and a beautiful warm sound. I have been searching for years to find out if it is a one off by the factory or possibly a NAMM show prototype. The serial number is 600033

Gibson Kluson tuners and big square fret markers

Original hardshell case with yellow lining

Any clues to the mystery?

Those exist

Gibson did some of those in the 60's and 70's... Usually custom one-offs [thumbup] ... I think there was a BB King model in the 90's that had no f-holes either

Gibson was really flexible with it's customers through the late 60's to the early 80's, and would build anything as long as it would fit in the building [biggrin]

A 330 would be an excellent candidate for not having f-holes - if you can live with the unusual look.

Unlike their humbucking cousins, 330s don't have the centre block and I have found them prone to feedback especially at the volume levels where P90s start to bite.

Certainly nicer than gaffer tape over the f-holes.

R

Want to see a great demo video of Phil X playing (and raving about) a 1968 ES-330 with no f holes? Check out Fretted Americana's channel on YouTube. Pretty amazing instrument.

I'd love to own one - or even try one out.

Enjoy yours, man - it's a beauty. The Gibson serial # book puts yours at '68 or '69.

Archived