Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD! Les Paul Studio Faded

ajzwart

Got this bad boy about a month ago, just got about to taking some nice pictures of it!

Anyways, its a Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded, and boy is it perfect. These lower end Gibsons get a lot of grief as being crappy low end guitars, but mine is perfection. Intonation, action, everything perfect right out of the box! Plus I love the faded finish! Can't wait for it to get some "love" from typical use! Anyways, here she is

IMG_9263.jpg

IMG_9265.jpg

IMG_9262.jpg

IMG_9275.jpg

IMG_9280.jpg

IMG_9265.jpg

As I said, I LOVE this thing. From the finish, the simplicity of the Studio model, and the amazing sound the Burstbucker Pro's put out! And $799! Just a solid instrument!

Congratulations, on a very nice Faded Studio! I don't (and never did) think

the "lower end" Gibson's are "crap." That sounds like someone trying to justify

spending "a bloody fortune," on his/her guitar. (Smile) I have both expensive, and

lower end Gibson guitars. I love them all! The Studio just has less "bling"

than the Standard, or Custom LP's. And, of course, in your case, the "faded"

thin Nitro finish, and no maple cap. That, tends to "darken" (I prefer the term "fatten up") the tone, a bit...

but that's not necessarily a bad thing, at all. So...Enjoy, your new "baby!"

CB

Thanks! I will definitely enjoy it! My bandmate (I play acoustic in my band) has one that is a few years old, and has some major buckle rash on the back, and even some nice wear and tear on the front below the pup selector. Looks super vintage and good!

HNGD! The reason I picked the guitar back up in recent times is cuz I stopped by a GC (which I've done from time to time for YEARS) and happened to pull down an Ebony LP Studio that was just perfect! This thing was a beast, it was perfectly intonated and just sang out LAMF. Before this occasion I hadn't really considered buying another guitar; I had been strung out for more than a few years and my guitar purchases had just been a revolving door- I'd buy one, like it a lot, play it for a week or so, then get my $ f#ck&d up and turn around and pawn it for about 20% of what I had just paid for it. So I gave up on even buying them for a couple years (about five).

But like I said, I came across this one particular LP Studio that just SPOKE to me (more like sang to me, but anyways...). I knew right there, on the spot, that this was the ONE; I didn't like this guitar a lot (like I had with the others)- I loved it! I knew that when push came to shove I would NOT sell this guitar for ANYTHING. I don't care if it was for the phone bill (guess you'll have to talk to me when you see me, folks) or if I was short on the rent (I may be sleeping on the sidewalk, but I'm sleeping next to my baby) I was going to hold onto this one. So I pulled some strings, made some calls, and got the $ together to buy it outright. I walked through the front doors of GC a man with a mission. The only thing was- they sold it!

I think this really speaks to the quality of Studios, though. I had owned 25-30+ guitars, all different makes and models, and none of them had that "It-Factor" that this Studio had. I mean, I played some Standards, some RIs, some SGs- you name it, I played it, and none of them had the tone that this one had that just called out my name. Don't get me wrong- on average, most Standards sound better than most Studios (to me), most Custom Shops sound better than most Standards (to me), etc. etc. You get what you pay for- on average, that is. But as we all know, each guitar is unique, with it's own unique tone, it's own unique sound, it's own unique qualities. You can find some diamonds in the rough, that's for sure. The folks that like to knock this model or that year have their collective head up their collective a$$.

Again, Congrats on your beautiful new baby. Hope you guys grow together, learn together, mature together and take over the world together.

HNGD! The reason I picked the guitar back up in recent times is cuz I stopped by a GC (which I've done from time to time for YEARS) and happened to pull down an Ebony LP Studio that was just perfect! This thing was a beast, it was perfectly intonated and just sang out LAMF. Before this occasion I hadn't really considered buying another guitar; I had been strung out for more than a few years and my guitar purchases had just been a revolving door- I'd buy one, like it a lot, play it for a week or so, then get my $ f#ck&d up and turn around and pawn it for about 20% of what I had just paid for it. So I gave up on even buying them for a couple years (about five).

But like I said, I came across this one particular LP Studio that just SPOKE to me (more like sang to me, but anyways...). I knew right there, on the spot, that this was the ONE; I didn't like this guitar a lot (like I had with the others)- I loved it! I knew that when push came to shove I would NOT sell this guitar for ANYTHING. I don't care if it was for the phone bill (guess you'll have to talk to me when you see me, folks) or if I was short on the rent (I may be sleeping on the sidewalk, but I'm sleeping next to my baby) I was going to hold onto this one. So I pulled some strings, made some calls, and got the $ together to buy it outright. I walked through the front doors of GC a man with a mission. The only thing was- they sold it!

I think this really speaks to the quality of Studios, though. I had owned 25-30+ guitars, all different makes and models, and none of them had that "It-Factor" that this Studio had. I mean, I played some Standards, some RIs, some SGs- you name it, I played it, and none of them had the tone that this one had that just called out my name. Don't get me wrong- on average, most Standards sound better than most Studios (to me), most Custom Shops sound better than most Standards (to me), etc. etc. You get what you pay for- on average, that is. But as we all know, each guitar is unique, with it's own unique tone, it's own unique sound, it's own unique qualities. You can find some diamonds in the rough, that's for sure. The folks that like to knock this model or that year have their collective head up their collective a$$.

Again, Congrats on your beautiful new baby. Hope you guys grow together, learn together, mature together and take over the world together.

LOVE this story!! This is why I love these boards, stories like this! Love hearing the stories of posters and the relationships with their beloved instruments!!

Yeah. My new studio has the maple cap too and I really like it. It has great tone and I like the grain pattern of the maple cap better than the tight short grain of the mahogany top ones, personally.

Tell us...how is your guitar "unplugged?" Lively, or subdued? I ask this,

because while in my dealer, recently, I got to try out a whole bunch of new

Gibson's and Epi's, too. I played a Faded Studio, (Worn Brown) that sounded

great, plugged in, but was kind of "dead" unplugged. Played another one,

that was very lively, unplugged...and sounded, even better plugged in. So...

I'm just "curious," as always. Both of my "Tribute" Studio Gold Tops (for example)

are very lively, unplugged, and sound amazing, plugged in, too.

One of the liveliest (unplugged) solid body guitars, that I played, that day...of any brand,

was one of the "Worn Cherry" finished Epiphone Wilshire guitars, with mini-humbuckers,

and a Temotone tailpiece. That little guitar was amazing, in resonance, and playability.

Can't say, if they all are like that, but the 5 that my dealer had, were all quite lively!

So...???

Cheers,

CB

Tell us...how is your guitar "unplugged?" Lively, or subdued? I ask this,

because while in my dealer, recently, I got to try out a whole bunch of new

Gibson's and Epi's, too. I played a Faded Studio, (Worn Brown) that sounded

great, plugged in, but was kind of "dead" unplugged. Played another one,

that was very lively, unplugged...and sounded, even better plugged in. So...

I'm just "curious," as always. Both of my "Tribute" Studio Gold Tops (for example)

are very lively, unplugged, and sound amazing, plugged in, too.

One of the liveliest (unplugged) solid body guitars, that I played, that day...of any brand,

was one of the "Worn Cherry" finished Epiphone Wilshire guitars, with mini-humbuckers,

and a Temotone tailpiece. That little guitar was amazing, in resonance, and playability.

Can't say, if they all are like that, but the 5 that my dealer had, were all quite lively!

So...???

Cheers,

CB

I wonder sometimes whether the age and condition of the factory installed strings plays a very big part in determining one's impression of an unplugged guitar in the store. I don't get to guitar shops that often but, the last time I went to one, I played a number of Ibanez RG guitars from an entry level Gio to a top of the range Vai JEM. In resonance and playability the JEM was frankly dreadful while the Gio was the pick of the bunch. However, by the salesperson's own admission, that JEM had been there a long time. When I picked it up I noticed that its strings were very badly corroded so it's really no wonder it felt and sounded so bad.

I wonder sometimes whether the age and condition of the factory installed strings plays a very big part in determining one's impression of an unplugged guitar in the store. I don't get to guitar shops that often but, the last time I went to one, I played a number of Ibanez RG guitars from an entry level Gio to a top of the range Vai JEM. In resonance and playability the JEM was frankly dreadful while the Gio was the pick of the bunch. However, by the salesperson's own admission, that JEM had been there a long time. When I picked it up I noticed that its strings were very badly corroded so it's really no wonder it felt and sounded so bad.

Yeah, Strings can be a factor, sometimes. But, in this case, they were all "new" strings, apparently.

At least, according to the feel, and tone. There was no appreciable difference, in strings,

in this instance. But I do know what you mean...as I've experienced that, before, as well.

Got this bad boy about a month ago, just got about to taking some nice pictures of it!

Anyways, its a Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded, and boy is it perfect. These lower end Gibsons get a lot of grief as being crappy low end guitars, but mine is perfection. Intonation, action, everything perfect right out of the box! Plus I love the faded finish! Can't wait for it to get some "love" from typical use! Anyways, here she is

IMG_9263.jpg

IMG_9265.jpg

IMG_9262.jpg

IMG_9275.jpg

IMG_9280.jpg

IMG_9265.jpg

Andrew, I've clicked on this thread a few times now and I have to agree that your new guitar is simply stunning. These faded studios may be the cheapest Gibson Les Pauls but your very well taken pictures illustrate clearly that the quality of construction and components is up there with that on Gibson's considerably more expensive production LPs. I, for one, love the look and feel of these stripped down, 'poor man's' Gibsons.

I've recently bought a '50s Tribute Humbucker model and I'm equally in love with mine, as you are with yours. I've also got a faded SG special too.

Alan

Nice!

I have a 91" studio lite which is getting a machine head upgrade done at the moment.

It's been only one day but I still miss it even though I treat it pretty rough.

Paint worn along the top edge where my skin has worn away the paint.

The paint off the back of the neck is worn off too.

It's like a trusty old double barrel shotgun.

I doubt I will ever part with it.

One of the first things most my musician friends say is "Do you still have your Gibson?"

I think they would be sad if I ever did part with it.

Nice picture shots! Did you polish the original faded finish? Damn, it looks glass smooth in your pictures. [thumbup]

Nope! Didn't polish anything! It is very smooth feeling, and looks 'shiny', unlike many other 'faded' guits i have seen! Very pleased with this one I found! [cool]

That's a nice guitar. Great to get it perfect out-of-the-box.

I wouldn't even change the strings, keep it as-is,

it does look perfect - a real keeper.

For the price and the Gibson brand,

you got a great deal on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice guitar. Great to get it perfect out-of-the-box.

I wouldn't even change the strings, keep it as-is,

it does look perfect - a real keeper.

For the price and the Gibson brand,

you got a great deal on that one.

Agreed! It is definitely a keeper! I had actually already changed the strings by the time I snagged these pictures tho. I bet I go through a set of strings every 3 weeks... It's awful! As a result, I've gotten rather good at changing strings tho! Hahaha... Ernie Ball titanium reinforced strings have been lasting me about a month recently, but I need to use Fast fret after everytime I play. Very acidic sweat apparantly [cursing]

Archived