Gibson Brands Forums

Canada made cases

xdamerx

I recently bought a Les Paul off ebay, and I am building it up just now. It didn't come with a case, so I had to buy one off the net as well. I found one, it was Canadian made, which i figured would have been just as nice of quality as the American made ones, but after I read a few reviews on the case I was buying on the site, there were a few complaints about the Canadian made cases. I, being from Canada and all(Vancouver born and bred) went with the purchase anyways. As from the description on the site, it said it was an American built case, but the reviews said different. It said it came with the combo lock and silk cover and whatnot. Upon receiving my case, it was Canadian built, but it didn't have the combo lock, the handle was completely different than the American made, and there was no silk cover(not too bothered) and the little pocket inside the case feels like it's gonna fall off if you use it too many times. Regardless the case is still very very nice, but I found an American made one for sale in a shop, and it was sooo much nicer than tha Canadian made one I had bought. So my reasoning for all this is; why is the Canadian made cases not built as nicely as the American made ones. Me being Canadian would have assumed that the quality would have been the same. Anyways, the guitar survived the 10 hour plane trip back to Glasgow, and the case was barely scratched, so it has already done its job quite well. I'm not complaining, just a bit curious that's all! Ps-please don't bash lovely Canada, I love it, eh!

The Gibson USA Les Paul cases currently shipping with the guitars are Canadian made, no dust cover, white interior, Made In Canada tag on string pocket cover, no combination lock, "hasp" latch for padlock, silk sreened branding on case cover.

Not a bad case. But, everything changes and what we used to be able to buy changes as well. Different manufacturers or suppliers, lowering costs, etc.. Are the guitars themselves of the same quality as what they formerly were?

The new cases are what they are; and the old cases are what they were. Quality, preferences, value, it all changes. Sometimes things improve, usually they don't.

Dont't grieve at your Canadian case, be happy that you didn't spend a fortune for a Gibson brown historic case made in Costa Rica - that one is a real shame. It came with my 2005 R9 but the axe doesn't really fit in. It's too low for the headstock, so the machine heads touch the bottom and loose tune every time you put it in or take it out. Btw: my best Gibson case is a black/crimson Custom Art/Historic case made in Canada...

Cheers

Starting from 1989, Gibson guitars came with the tan TKL Canada cases with the pink fur shroud. During the early 90's, the pink satin shroud replaced the fur. In the 2000's, the black cases replaced the tan color cases with different interiors: black with black satin shroud, gray and white insides with no shrouds. Custom shop also uses cases from TKL Canada but with different interiors and outside logo. The early ones from 2000 came with nice burgandy inside and different custom shop logo which they changed in 2002.

Depending on which year your Gibson was made, you can find nice period correct cases on ebay for about under $100. I have been hoarding cases for over 30 years and will eventually sell them when I retire in 15 years.

Wow, I didn't think Canadian cases were that used with Gibson in general, just the case I saw in that shop wasn't the same case as mine, but it was aLes Paul Gibson case, and just everything about seemed to be so much nicer in quality! Wish I knew about TKL before I bought my case! I'm sure a Gibson USA transfer isn't that expensive! It's that I'm not happy happy with my case, cause I am, I was just wondering why the standards seemed a bit different!

You can buy all Gibsons cases (no logo though) direct from TKL here...

The thing you have to remember about the Gibson cases WITH the logos is that they're a double-edged sword...

You can brag about owning a Gibson' date=' but... everyone knows you own a Gibson. [img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_think.gif[/img]

I've got a 2000 335 with the pink shroud, and several other Canadian cases over the years (my '30s Regal is in a tweed one, my Epi biscuit had another - black - one, and there have been a couple of others). No reason not to have one.

I see that Gator makes a brown w/interior shroud case for the SG and LP, and sells them for around $50US less than the ugly black/black Gibson models.

Which brings up a point: who decides the crazy colors? I had a salmon pink (aka fiesta red) Fender Precision with a red plush tweed case -- you had to keep the case closed with the bass in there, or you'd go blind. Or my LP Deluxe gold top, with the pink plush interior. Or my Epi Sheraton in natural with a grey case interior. I could go on and on....

• 10 years later...

I've had a Canadian-made all-tan Gibson dreadnaught case with a pink interior and a "coffin shroud" cover that covers the top of the guitar before you close the lid.  It's tan, with a combination lock, brass-plated clasps,  a covered-rope handle and bought in a Bristol, Tennessee music store in 1968.   At 51 years of age, it's still in perfect shape after I've lugged it to one gig after another.  It's never failed me in any way, no failed rivets, no rotted-out stitching and the cover looks the same as when new.  But then I've always carried it with me, rather than checking it.  But I did remove the "Gibson" label so as not to tempt fate.  If you want the clasps and other hardware not to deteriorate and rust away,, put two coats of clear finger-nail polish on all of it, and it will stay about as nice as new.  I take care of the case like it was the guitar, I guess.  It fits my 1966 Martin D12-35 with a solid head perfectly.  If you take care of things, they will usually last, but I started out with an excellent quality Canadian case with it's hardware rock-solid to begin with.

And another way to title this forum is "Canadian cases" or "Canada-made cases".