Gibson Brands Forums

Another Royale Model Hits The Salesfloor!

midiman56

Hey, gang ...

Monday "truck days" are always a cause of excitment for me. You never know what is going to roll of that trailer. Most weeks is just more of the "same old, same old", but every once in a while you get to see (and play) something new ...

Today marked the first appearance of the Epiphone Dot Royale! This makes the third of the Royale series to hit my store (joining the Les Paul and P93 Riviera models). In many ways, I think this is my favorite one yet!

I've played a LOT of Dots ... and while they were all good guitars, none of them ever really bowled me over. The Studio Dots felt like I was holding a piece of unfinished furniture in my hands. The standard and deluxe Dots were fine, but just didn't do much for me.

This Royale (priced at $449) is quite a ste up from even the deluxe Dots in my opinion. The neck on this guitar is brilliant! Not too thin, but not a club either ... it just fits and fills the hand in a completely comfortable manner. The electronics were all seated properly and were silent during switching. The two humbuckers were punchy without being harsh and took both overdrive and distortion without the slightest bit of mud or feedback (I had this girl cranked up pretty high!).The guitar came out of the carton with the usual Epiphone "way too high" action, but I lowered it to a comfortable playing height and didn't find a buzz anywhere on the fretboard. Fit and finish were excelent ... really didn't find and thing to complain about anywhere on the instrument.

Epi did a really good job on this one ... I found it to be much more of a Sheriton than any Dot I've ever encountered ... very solid and very substantial. Keep an eye out for this one, folks! Here are a few pics ...

The lovely Kat with yet another large guitar:

IMG_0162.jpg

Here's a closer shot of the "blingy binding":

IMG_0159.jpg

The finish on the guitar is actually a pearly white ... very attractive:

IMG_0160.jpg

Hey look! It's a Limited Edition Custom Shop model!!!

IMG_0161.jpg

It's lot's of fun trying these new models out and sharing them with you. Hope you enjoyed this "first look"!

Jim

Very nice looking guitar (... and stand [blush] ). I'm still waiting for my Royale Riviera, ordered two months ago (Thomann/Europa) ... [crying]

HAHA. I was thinking the same thing. What a great guitar stand that pretty young lady would make.

Now I undertand why so many of you increase your collection. When all this new stuff keep coming out, it's kinda hard to resist.

Are the PGs that thick on dots? Or does it just look really thick in the pics...?

Nah ... they are no thicker than any other Epi pickguard. You are looking at the bevel in the guard, which, from that angle, makes it look thicker than it really is.

Jim

Nah ... they are no thicker than any other Epi pickguard. You are looking at the bevel in the guard, which, from that angle, makes it look thicker than it really is.

Jim

Okay then, that makes more sense...[thumbup]

Archived