Gibson Brands Forums

Model details

fraserh

Hi, i bought this guitar sometime ago from a reputable shop due to how it played and how it looked. I have since become more interested in finding out more detailed information regarding model details. I know it is Korean made, so supposedly better manufactured, though I stand to be corrected on that one. The serial number on the headstock is I03030682 and is painted on rather than a sticker or stamped into the wood. My friend thinks that due to the "gold" hardware it is probably some kind of special but i cannot locate any images that exactly match the colour scheme and set up off mine. Any assistance would be gratefully received.

post-35048-072427700 1312976269_thumb.jpg

post-35048-032838100 1312976273_thumb.jpg

Guitar Dater says:

Your guitar was made at the

Saein Plant, Korea/China

March 2003

Production Number: 0682

The Saein Musical Instrument Co. Ltd. is located in the Namdong Industrial Complex in Incheon, Korea. Saein was established in July 1st 1991 and has a monthly capacity of 4,500pcs. In Oct 1st 1992, Saien Began manufacturing guitars for Epiphone, who they now consider to be their main business. They also started producing their own line of guitars called Shine in 1997. In February, 2001, a new factory was opened in Gaomi City, China. This factory boasts a monthly capacity of 10,000pcs. Saein was presented the ‘The Best Quality Award of the Year’ by Gibson Epiphone USA in 1998 and 1999.

Thank you both for the replies. I thought it may be the custom model but could not find a decent photograph to compare it to. Cheers again,, now i've just got to get better at playing it!!

The same problem most of us have...... [crying]

Thank you both for the replies. I thought it may be the custom model but could not find a decent photograph to compare it to. Cheers again,, now i've just got to get better at playing it!!

A Les Paul custom model will have the split-diamond inlay on the headstock, like yours does. Thats the best way to tell if it falls in to the Custom range. Now, which Custom model an LP is may be is a little harder to determine, but I think these guys nailed it down for you.

[thumbup]

A Les Paul custom model will have the split-diamond inlay on the headstock, like yours does. Thats the best way to tell if it falls in to the Custom range. Now, which Custom model an LP is may be is a little harder to determine, but I think these guys nailed it down for you.

[thumbup]

Also, rectangular fretboard inlays (not trapezoid) including one at the first fret, whereas the standard has no marker at the first fret.

Also, rectangular fretboard inlays (not trapezoid) including one at the first fret, whereas the standard has no marker at the first fret.

It certainly has rectangular inlays and the split diamond on the headstock. I think floodsmok3 is bang on that it's a custom plus and having looked around it is now an obsolete model. Cheers for all your assistance gents.

Archived