Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson RD stupid deal?

Gibson Artist

It's a shame, I don't think they meant Stupid in the way I'd call that Stupid.

No cause for celebration, it just wasn't that great. It's funny how "collectors demand", and I don't know anyone that lived through it DEMANDING they bring them things back.

Only 1500 were sold doesn't mean anything other than only 1500 were sold, not that they were great and man we all were just LOSERS for not buying them. I played quite a few of those, that was right around the time I got married they were around. Each and every one of them left me decidedly underwhelmed. I'da owned one if they were any good.

At 699 it's pretty interesting if you own all the other Gibsons that matter.

rct

Contrary to what others have stated I think it's a pretty darn good guitar and at a fantastic price. I like that they went with a RW fingerboard and passive pickups instead of the maple and active pickups. I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on one of those and route it for P90's.

They mean stupid ugly.... [rolleyes]

From the guy that owns a Corvus!

Seriously, the RD may not be a crowd favorite but it is not by far the ugliest guitar out there

It is still a gloss finish mahogany Gibson with a set of humbuckers and a hardshell case.

I reckon a guitar player with the right look can pull it off.

Guest farnsbarns

That may well be a great guitar but its a funny reissue. Body and neck are mahogany and the fingerboard is rosewood when the originals are all maple. The scale length is different too.

As far as I can see this one is going to sound much like an SG. Not as bright as the original.

I think I like the changes for me anyway. The jack is on the bottom of the guitar instead of the face of the body. I like the normal scale Gibson instead of a longer scale. It has a gloss finish and Grover tuners. Plus it has a hardshell case and not a gig bag like the other low price point guitars that they have brought out. All things considered I decided to give one a try. I see that they did sell out before the end of the day so I am not alone.

Archived