Gibson Brands Forums

"J-45 Custom" Rosewood - Who knew?

Jack6849

Last week I bought a "J-45 Custom" Rosewood from Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, Wisconsin and I submitted a thread about its specifications to this Forum. Thanks for all the replies.

Now I'm writing with a follow-up review of my new Gibson. I've never owned a Gibson Acoustic guitar with Rosewood sides and back before. I thought this one sounded great in the store, but I had no idea how the model would "grow on me" as I really got into playing it.

The Rosewood combines with the model's Gibson architecture to provide a really unique instrument, with a sound and playability unlike anything else I've owned. This guitar has a very rich and yet very balanced tone that provides a perfect voice for finger-picking.

What a great instrument for vocal accompaniment. Not "boomy", but very full and yet, clear at the same time. A very distinctive voice that sounds finished in a way that would make it perfect for recording. I own lots of great acoustic guitars, but this one has proven to be a very pleasant surprise.

In looking back through the Forum for previous posts about this model, I see that Gillian Girl "almost bought" one of these "J-45 Customs" back in January of this year. (Hi, Karen...) Now I can see what attracted you to it GG... This is a very special Gibson Model, the unique specifications of which (like my "Jackson Browne Signature Model 1") give it a truly unique voice.

So who knew Gibson could sound so good in Rosewood? I mean... Mahogany?... of course; Maple?... sure; even Koa... (I once had a great sounding "J-200" in Koa); but Rosewood?... Well, I just never thought about a Rosewood Gibson... and especially not a Rosewood "J-45"... it sounded like complete heresy to me when I first thought about it.

But, of course I did know about those very early Rosewood J-200s... so I thought I'd give this Rosewood "J-45 Custom" a "go"... The end result was a cool surprise and a complete "rethinking" by me of what a Gibson acoustic can be.

If you get a chance to play one of these guitars, I'll bet you'll be just as surprised as I was.

Thanks Gibson for a cool new guitar model design (including Ren Ferguson's unique and beautiful Abalone headstock inlay)

Jack6849

Thanks for a positive report – Made me very curious about the instrument, , , again. Never tried one, but always wanted to. How does it differ from the hog, , , more range, bassier, clearer trebs ???

I have an '02 J45 Rosewood. I'd say the basic tonal characteristics & range with mine are very similar to a mahogany bodied J45, but a little drier & punchier. Note seperation is very good. This combination does indeed seem to work quite well with fingerpicking.

Note seperation is very good. This combination does indeed seem to work quite well with fingerpicking.

Yes I can imagine that. Just put down my Standard after a good after midnite round of finger-picking. Strings – Martin '12's - a bit worn. Tell you this 2010 creation sounds wonderful. And the funny thing is that the response is quicker than earlier. It's still compressed when givin' a sudden punch, but the notes come faster than ever. Trying to envision what it'll be like in 5 years or more is a mindblower. . . .

Hi Jack! [biggrin]

Did I miss the new guitar thread? I'm missing a lot these days :unsure: [crying] Anyway, thrilled to hear about this newest acquisition!! [thumbup]

Yes, that J-45 I had my hands on at L&McQ awhile back..... that was a close call. I even had my wallet out. It just had something special. You know it when you hear it! And it was on sale too! But it was just as well I didn't pick it up because it seems to me I ended up with some humongous unexpected bill shortly after that, likely related to a vehicle or a horse :rolleyes: But I still think about that guitar....... :-k

I WILL have a rosewood Gibby someday, I WILL, I WILL.

Congratulations on the new guitar!! Have fun!! Isn't it great getting a new guitar and playing all your regular songs on it and hearing them through a different voice? Love it!

Hey Karen,

Hope your summer is going well. You're right about how much fun it is to review classic material through a new guitar with a voice of its own. This "J-45 Custom" Rosewood really lends itself to acoustic Beatles tunes (like... "Michelle", "Julia","Girl" and "In my Life"), and classic folk tunes (like... "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright", and "Love Minus Zero, No Limit" by Bob Dylan). One of the great things about having a number of different guitars is that each one suggests a different song list.... What fun! I'm really loving my Rosewood Gibson. Maybe I need a Rosewood J-200 now... hmmm...

Good to hear from you when you're obviously busy, GG... Thanks!

Jack6849

I have a '92 Advance jumbo ...... rosewood back and sides. A wonderful guitar. Has opened up and sounds clear as a bell. Yes quite a different sound than a J45 or such. I've also played a J45 Custom ..... it has a similar sound and the great playablity of the short scale. Also a beautiful guitar .... just enough bling to make it interesting but not gaudy.

It took living with many acoustics for me to understand the diff between rosewood/mahogany. I've owned a number of hogs but EIR is my first choice, even over brazilian r/w. I got the AJ rw over the J45 rw because the scale difference makes a more full tone IMO. I would compare the AJ to the SWD dread or something like the Collings CJ. The AJ with adi or german spruce would be real interesting.

Archived