Gibson Brands Forums

Are some new J-45s' more 'J-45' than others ?

EuroAussie

Was wondering as a couple new J-45 Standards arrived in our local shop.

I got quite excited and played them both to compare how the stack up against my AL SJ.

The first one a sunburst one had that classic J-45 tone with an emphasis on the mids and trble and low E thump. But didnt terribly excite me, sounded a bit thin.

Tried the second J-45, an all natural and wow, it really impressed me. But it was different. It had a much more balanced and warmer tone than I expect from a J-45. As I think Bob once said it perhaps had some Martin influence as while it had the low E thump it definitely didnt have that same midrange and treble focus. But it still projected very well and has excellent response. I was really attracted to it I must say.

Went home and tried the AL SJ again and it definitely had that classic J-45 tone with a stron emphasis on mids and treble.

So it made me wonder if from your experience you also came across new J-45's that are more J-45 than others ?

When I was shopping for mine I tried three in shop. Background is that when I was learning guitar in high school my girlfriend's dad had a vintage j45.... Prob 50s that he let me pla ll the time. So I think I had a good feel for what it was "supposed" to sound like. The first two felt very thin but the one I got sounded....chunky I guess. Lots of thump and great response everywhere else. It was what I remembered that old j45 sounding like.

I agree with the general premise of your question enough to say yes, that many j45s are more j45 than others, but when they age and rest into tonality I find they all have similar characteristics. It is also important to note that different players generate different emphasis with techniques, hands and experience that might be more in keeping with j45 character expectations for some and less for others. Myself, as an OM player, I have to adjust my approach when I play my j45 (just bought a new one) to be slightly stronger and more patterned.

At one time sunburst finishes were applied to tops that were marked or slightly inferior. I doubt this is true today, but you never know - the natural top might produce a bit more clarity due to being slightly superior today. Another point I would make is that the best guitar new out of the box does not always become the best guitar in ten years.

They are hand made guitars and all wood is different. Even though they try to pick same types of wood, they will sound just a bit different from guitar to guitar because of wood variation alone. I have two J45 Guitars and they both sound good but one sounds just a little better than the other.

This is hardly definitive, but I played b-t-b 3 new historics and a J50. One of the historics had it, with had to grow. The others were thin. They may or may not get there, but they were mighty green. Likewise a SJ on another occasion. Same trip, played an OJ and a J45L that killed and a pair of TVs that were richer in tone than the historics but didnt cry out "Gibson" like the others.

I think my 2010 J45 Standard could be one that is a bit more, and opening up more daily. I tried a number of them over the years, but had a certain sound in my head I suppose. Played this one off the wall and boom, gone, thanks.

When I bought it I was happy with the sound of Lightnin' type licks and country blues stuff, but since discovered that it sounds great playing Rev Davis type stuff, well trying to play is more like it, but I guess the guitar can sound a bit like a mahogany back Gibson J200 now and again.

It is my grand piano!

BluesKing777.

We all hear different things in guitars. To me, my J45 has a warm tone to it as I'd expect from a good mahogany guitar. Others might think their J45 sounds warmer, and maybe it does while someone else thinks their's sounds better. I don't know and I don't think it means much in the whole scheme of things. My HD28 is a bit louder, but then again the J45 is softer---all to my ears. I truly don't know how my J45 stacks-up against other J45s, because I haven't played it with other J45s. What I do know is that I really dig the guitar. I like the warm sound. I like the sunburst. I like the feel of the neck. I like the setup. I like the quality. I like the tradition that comes with it. I like the way it seems to be opening-up, but with the changes in the weather and all the rain and storms we've had here, who the hell really knows. I do know that I like the sound. And I don't really know if its more J45 than other J45s, but I do know that it is "all" J45. So, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Very nicely put ! [thumbup]

We all hear different things in guitars. To me, my J45 has a warm tone to it as I'd expect from a good mahogany guitar. Others might think their J45 sounds warmer, and maybe it does while someone else thinks their's sounds better. I don't know and I don't think it means much in the whole scheme of things. My HD28 is a bit louder, but then again the J45 is softer---all to my ears. I truly don't know how my J45 stacks-up against other J45s, because I haven't played it with other J45s. What I do know is that I really dig the guitar. I like the warm sound. I like the sunburst. I like the feel of the neck. I like the setup. I like the quality. I like the tradition that comes with it. I like the way it seems to be opening-up, but with the changes in the weather and all the rain and storms we've had here, who the hell really knows. I do know that I like the sound. And I don't really know if its more J45 than other J45s, but I do know that it is "all" J45. So, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

I tried 3 J45's and a hummingbird out at my local dealer and the J45 I chose sounded perfect to me, as I strummed a chord it opened up and gave me a warm hug, as I picked my way through some old blues she sang like a bird.

I loved the Hummingbird and wished it made more of a connection but it had to be the J45, the other two I tried were great and there didn't seem to be much in it, there was just something about the one I chose I couldn't put my finger on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought a new natural J45, and yes there was a difference between the several new ones at the store. It is a wonderfu looking guitar btw! This being my third J45 I can say that all the ones I tried had that sound ..... warm and balanced. But the sound has already changed and only time will tell which way the sound will go. I'm of the opinion that (like a good woman) living with a fine guitar is the only way to determine if you really love it!

Archived