Gibson Brands Forums

What's your favourite Martin ?

EuroAussie

Just wondering as on the AGF that questioned has been answered many times over from all the die hard Martin fans.

But i was wondering from us who have discovered the soul of Gibson, which Martin do you enjoy the most ... if you enjoy them at all ?

Im sort of luke warm on Martin, I respect them no doubt, but to me Martin represents the 'generic' acoustic tone as there have been so many copies made. Of course they still have the strong bass and the ringing trebles and its still not that hard to identify a Martin, but I for example miss the midrange in them big time.

I dont think I would ever own one (would buy Furch /Stonebridge instead)but Ive always enjoyed the D-35. Probably because it seems to suit a singer songwriter type with its more open tone, and given I normally back a singer that is quite appealing.

What about your Gibby fans, how do you feel about Martins, and do you have a fave, why ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did play an early 70's D-45 once. Very nice guitar. Good sound. Martin vs. Gibson? To me it's like Ford vs. Chevy, just a preference thing. Me, I like the Gibson tone. That's why I'm here! Not to say that Martins are crappy guitars. They are very nice, well constructed guitars. I just prefer Gibsons.

I am kinda partial to th 000-28.

Last year though I got a chance to spend some time with a 1951 Martin D-18. Probably the best balanced Martin I have ever got my hands on and just an amazing sounding guitar. It could have been mine. I was offered it in a straight across trade for my old SJ. Pretty much the only Martin I have played in alot of years that brought as big a smile to my face as the SJ does. I didn't go for it but this was the first and only time I can recall that I have been tempted.

The Martin thing has a lot to do with top-bottom separation. On a RW Martin, than means sustain, deep bass and hard, bright trebles(adjust to body size, natch). On a hog, change the bass to twang, trebles to bright and glassy and dial down the sustain a notch. In both instances, mids are less prominent.

What works in Martinland? That rw D rumbles like a train. Good for Steve Earle/Neil Young kinda things, if you dont mind the box size. Not so much for fingerstyle, imho. Clarence White (Appalachian Swing) and Doc Watson played bluegrass leads on D18s and Norman Blake fingerpicked the snot out of one on Whiskey before Breakfast. Great sound, again, and might be my fav if I were more at home with the shape. The 000/OMs have a rep as Martins best balanced/most versatile box, but, speaking personally, Im not a big fan of that focused, forward sound. Guess I like some surround sound effects (prefered reverb to dry when I played electric). If you like it, then, great. Some of the M-series have a bit more balance across the spectrum, but the RWs are still pretty bassy.

I have 2 'lower price range' Martins. Pics from the internet:

a DCX-1Re solid spruce top with squashed recycled drumkits or something as back and sides. I used this when I went to jazz lessons and it was totally inapropriate but fun.

Martin_DCX1RE.jpg

And a Martin 000c-15e all mahogany which is great for country blues:

000C15E4_front.jpg

Good for slide. Here is a youtube video of me playing the hog Martin - not much of a video but you can hear the guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTowGuwwGE8

BluesKing777.

My favourite Martin is an OM-21 that I play every day. It is a great guitar for finger style, and does a fair job as a strummer if handled properly.

The Martin I would most like to own is an OMCGTE Cherry because it is eco-sensitive with a reclaimed top and sustainable back and sides, yet produces rather good tone for the price point. What I like most about it is the balance between being both a good acoustic and a good stage guitar. I had one out from a dealer for a weekend, and because I had several other 000 Martins at the time that were either better only acoustically or better only plugged in, I passed on it. Still, I was really impressed with it and would buy one now if I walked into a store and found one sitting there.

I have to pick the HD28. I think they're representive of what a guitar should be. You get a good one, and most of them are, and you have an outstanding guitar. I like mine as much as any of my Gibsons. It gets lots of playing time. Never been a fan of the Martin newer models with the composite tops, but the big dreads like the 28s, 18s, etc are real sweet guitars.

I went in thinking one day I might get a dread, but recently went with an om-28v. I had a fair chunk of coin and was hoping I would like the marquis......but it wasnt to be. All I can say is I really enjoy the comfort, sound and string spacing on OM's. But if I were to narrow down to a few models the om-28v (cuz i bought it), hd-28, d35 would be at the top of my list. I don't like too much bling!

I'm going to sell a 0-28VS slothead, vintage V profiled guitar that's basically 'as new' if there's anybody in the EU members looking for one of these. I've played maybe 4-6 hours on it in total over the past few months.

Fab guitar, however I want a J-200 and the Martin will bring in the necessary cash.

I got this J40M when they first came out in 1986. Hadn't played an acoustic in many years and at the time I liked its "new" low profile neck. As RW Martins are known for the bass was wonderful eventually I grew to want a more beefy neck and after I got my SJ200 in 1998 the Martin saw more case time the play time. Now it comes out when a third Guitar is needed for a 'jam'. It still sounds very nice to me but the J45 I got in 06 will not let me stray far before it starts calling to be released from the case....

I'm lucky to have these choices I guess Like my T shirt said. LOVE ONE WOMAN , MANY GUITARS.

Its not a widely known Martin but that's why I still like it.

001.jpg

004.jpg

[rolleyes]

This year I got a Martin 000-28EC. It is the Eric Clapton edition. Now I am not really a big Clapton fan, but I do think he has recently connected with Robert Johnson and love his acoustic set of RJ tunes. Also the man does know a thing or 100,000 about guitars. His combo of a Martin short scale rosewood 000 is really special (This is one of the very few short scale guitars that Martin makes).

The sound is about as far away from the "Gibson sound" as you can get. Each note dripping with warmth and complexity. Sometimes to me this guitar, when finger picked, can sound like an old timey piano.

Hey....the right tool for the job and my CJ gets strummed and sung along with constantly.... The Martin gets strummed for quieter songs and for piano like finger picked blues. Some songs sound a little more right on a certain guitar.

I have the "palette of sounds" now I just need to become a better artist.

This year I got a Martin 000-28EC.

The sound is about as far away from the "Gibson sound" as you can get. Each note dripping with warmth and complexity. Sometimes to me this guitar, when finger picked, can sound like an old timey piano.

The Martin gets strummed for quieter songs and for piano like finger picked blues. Some songs sound a little more right on a certain guitar.

I have one of these as well (a 2007), and I do really like the tone: about as different from any of my other guitars as it can be, with really chiming trebles and clear mids. It is a very good finger-picking guitar, and I'm actually warming to it for flat-picking. I bought it as a stand-in for my J-45 while it was in the shop for a few months, and it will be interesting to see which gets more play time after I pick up the J-45 next week.

If it had flatter, wider frets, and a slightly narrower neck, it could be just about ideal. But it ain't a Gibson. The workmanship, by the way, is also excellent.

Archived