Gibson Brands Forums

What's your favourite Martin ?

EuroAussie

re

I got this J40M when they first came out in 1986. Hadn't played an acoustic in many years and at the time I liked its "new" low profile neck. As RW Martins are known for the bass was wonderful eventually I grew to want a more beefy neck and after I got my SJ200 in 1998 the Martin saw more case time the play time. Now it comes out when a third Guitar is needed for a 'jam'.

Similar size shape as the M-series, but deeper, so more resonance. Martin's middle ground, between the 000/D. Dave Bromberg, Jorma Kaukenon, Steve Earle, Woody Mann & Stefan Grossman all play variants of this line(Ernie Hawkins played Stefan's J38 on his recent Lightnin Hopkins dvd).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be difficult to say anything negative about the Mothership - my dear D-35. Continue to believe it will be the last one to go.

Had a flirt with the OO and OOO's and played a couple of good M-36/M-38's, but found out it isn't the path for me (at least not now).

For the last 2 weeks I have been on the hunt for a HD-28V. Own a Custom slope D-18 (scalloped), but must try out a regular body-shaped scalloped rosewood Martin. In my search and final choice for the chosen few, it'll be either the hog or the rose.

As said, the 35 is above that race -

Strange no D28s, guess you guys like me are more faithful to a Gibson J45.

But to answer the question I'm a 00028 fan.

This guitar specs the same as a CJ165 but the sound is different, don't know why both are very nice guitars.

The Gibson is warmer especially in the bass.

Strange no D28s, guess you guys like me are more faithful to a Gibson J45.

But to answer the question I'm a 00028 fan.

This guitar specs the same as a CJ165 but the sound is different, don't know why both are very nice guitars.

The Gibson is warmer especially in the bass.

I think we like 000-28 variants because they sound and feel so different from a guitar like the J-45. In college (mid '60s) I had my J-45, and my roommate had an early '60s D-18 which sort of overwhelmed the J-45 both with overall volume and a big, clear bottom for a 'hog guitar. Even when I put on mediums, the D-18 was louder.

One time another guy came over with his 000-28 (the first time I had seen one), and it was a whole different animal: sort of light (relatively speaking) and articulate. That's still a voice I appreciate in the 000-28 EC I have now. To draw an analogy, the J and the 'dred were more Johnny Cash, and the 000-28 was more Stevie Winwood, if you get my drift.

Since those days, my J-45 has another 40+ years of maturity on top of the 20 it had then, and boy, how its voice has changed! It may not hold its own with volume, but it certainly does with character.

Confounds? Surely meant astounds?

I didn't know the word and looked it up. Found out it meant 'confuses'. I thought : Interesting, know the feeling - several of my guitars are rather unfigureable.

What the heck means unfigureable. . .

In January of this year, after a five-month wait, a Martin Custom Shop D-45V with an optional premium-grade Adirondack Spruce top, and wider "vintage-style" 2-5/8" Bridge String Spacing arrived for me at Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, Wisconsin.

Not only was it my "dream guitar"... but it is now also my favorite Martin ever. (and believe me, that's saying something....)

In fact though,I currently own more Gibson acoustics than all other brands put together.

Thank you,

Jack6849

P.S. (Hi, Karen) I've also owned a number of Martin's D-42s, including a "Limited Edition" one in Cambodian Rosewood, and (while they are certainly, in no way, worth more than your life, regardless of your skill level), they are truly beautiful guitars, so dream on GG.

Dreaming is fun...

In January of this year, after a five-month wait, a Martin Custom Shop D-45V with an optional premium-grade Adirondack Spruce top, and wider "vintage-style" 2-5/8" Bridge String Spacing. . . .

Dreaming is fun...

I'm sure this is one heavenly guitar – congratulations. I'm currently out looking for a HD-28V which is scalloped/forward shifted too. Can you explain the exact differences/advantages regarding the Forward Shifted idea, , , more bass. . . ??

Shifting the braces "forward" (toward the sound hole) makes the movement of the top in the area around and behind the bridge less restricted (and therefore more inclined to vibrate...). That increased flexibility of the soundboard, in theory, allows the guitar to deliver more volume generally, and specifically, to produce a better bass response.

Jack6849

Shifting the braces "forward" (toward the sound hole) makes the movement of the top in the area around and behind the bridge less restricted (and therefore more inclined to vibrate...). That increased flexibility of the sound board, in theory, allows the guitar to deliver more volume generally, and specifically, to produce a better bass response.

Jack6849

Yes, that's what I imagined. It's the old fashioned way and I guess it was changed to stabilize the structures of the guitars. The HD-28 has the X in ordinary position, but as a bass-person I'm tempted to try the forward variant. Besides I really like the V looks (including the emerald-interior case, which I prefer over the bordeaux).

Not really sure about my Custom D-18. The specs says :

TOP BRACES - Sitka/1Style/Scalloped (Modified)

PATTERN - Modified Hybrid

Thanks for replying -

By the way this thread shows there is a lot of affection for Martins among the Gibson tripe. A relief to me, as everything else would be weird.

But notice EuroA's subtitle : From a Gibby players perspective. A clever little detail which most of us forgot.

EuroA, , , I simply think it was too big a task to ask people to consider the differences in the middle of their enthusiasm for talking Martin a while.

Still exactly that – the basic difference on all levels between the 2, tone-feel-craft-soul wise etc. – is a very good topic that should be brought up again.

For me they set each other in perspective and double the playing pleasure. I really know my D-35 after I picked up Gibsons and vice versa.

I like a few of the Martin Guitars... But if I was to spend anything over 6000.00 for one... I would go the extra monies to aquire a 50s D28.. Thats Just me..

Ive had a few D45s and OM 42s there Nice guitars..

Ive had a few ?? D28s from the 50s.. That would be my preference again..

In the past, I owned a D-18GE. Really nice guitar, but it didn't work so well given my playing style and I didn't hang on to it for long. More recently I played a super sweet sounding 40's era 00-17, but the shop selling it wanted far more that what I was willing to pay.

Like others, I think of Martin and Gibson as the Ford and Chevy of the guitar world. In general, I've found a certain appeal in Martin guitars, but Gibson's were typically much more to my liking. Then last year I encountered a Martin 000-18GE. I really liked the vibe of this guitar, ended up purchasing it and I've been extremely happy with the guitar. I still consider myself a Gibson guy at heart , but I do really dig the Martin that I found. Variety is the spice of life as they say.

Archived