Gibson Brands Forums

They're Bringing Back the Gold Top Les Paul Deluxe!!!

charlie brown

I (personally) love Mini-humbuckers. They have a bit edgier tone, than the full size

versions, which is especially nice, in the neck position. Less "mud," that way. Some

folks feel they're not as hot/heavy as full sized humbuckers, but I've never had a problem

with that. I have a '76 Deluxe (Cherry Burst), that I've owned since 77...I bought it

"barely used," at the time. Would love to own a "Gold-Top" version, though. [biggrin]

CB

Gibson are becoming more and more like a Corporation bus company. No buses for ages - then a whole bunch arrive at once !

We seem to have had a period with lots of new model introductions - lots of "artist" models. If you read the posts - most seem to be after a lot of "undeserving" groups / individuals - who the hell are the Jonas Brothers?? (Maybe I don't want to know !!!) Then, we have the SG XII string, another SG with P90's - and now the Les Paul Deluxe !

Just when I decide to save up and buy one - another comes along that deserves my pennies too !

Can we maybe try to spread out the goodies more evenly???

I thought that most of the Deluxes had the "cross banded" body -, two pieces of mahogany with a thin layer of maple running horizontally between them? My deluxe, which the serial number identifies as a 1973, has this construction.

I thought that most of the Deluxes had the "cross banded" body -, two pieces of mahogany with a thin layer of maple running horizontally between them? My deluxe, which the serial number identifies as a 1973, has this construction.

Yep, the Norlin "pancake" bodies started around 69. I think around 76/77 the pancake construction was phased out, but the LP Deluxe continued to be made well into the 80s. The hallmark of the Deluxe is the minis.

My first Gibson Les Paul was exactly this. I had to sell it many many years ago for financial reasons. I never got the full worth out of this guitar because I was younger and naive to guitar technical things, so I never had it set up and at the time didn't even give it much thought. So it was probably out of intonation slightly and the action could have been lower for my liking. It was a nice guitar.

Question... the Gibson ad says the reproductions are chambered. Just curious, would my original Deluxe have been chambered or even weight relieved??? It was pretty heavy, if memory serves... [biggrin]

My first Gibson Les Paul was exactly this. I had to sell it many many years ago for financial reasons. I never got the full worth out of this guitar because I was younger and naive to guitar technical things, so I never had it set up and at the time didn't even give it much thought. So it was probably out of intonation slightly and the action could have been lower for my liking. It was a nice guitar.

Question... the Gibson ad says the reproductions are chambered. Just curious, would my original Deluxe have been chambered or even weight relieved??? It was pretty heavy, if memory serves... [biggrin]

No, the originals were not weight relieved, at all! They were anvils! ;>)...though, nicely balanced...at least, mine is.

But, I love my '76 Deluxe, just the same! Bought a Levy's Neoprene (Bass) strap, and the guitar feels great, now!

Mini-humbuckers "Rock!"

CB

Well, to each his/her own...I have LP's that are weight relieved, and if anything,

they're more toneful, and have equal sustain. So...??? That's not an issue, for me!

Just glad to see the "Deluxe" back in the line up, at least in the Gold-Top version.

CB

Weight relieved wood have been fine but it's chambered a hollow body.

You old "Luddites!"[flapper] LOL. I'll wait and see,

how it actually sounds, before saying yeah, or neh,

on the chambering. My Gretch Duo-Jes TSP is chambered,

and it sounds amazing! Chambering is not "traditional"

Les Paul construction, but...it might sound really good?!

Besides, there are plenty of other choices, in Les Paul

models, if one hates weight relieved, or chambering. :rolleyes:

CB

Heck no....My 73 Deluxe weights about eleven pounds!

That guitar is great chambered or not. Too bad it's a bit expensive for me at the moment. Anyone thought at Gibson about making an LP Studio 70's Tribute with those minis? If so, please make one in wine red... :rolleyes:

Hello DiamondJig! I saw Your guitar before! Great idea! I was thinking about this mod too, but fell in love with the P-90s - so I decided to keep mine GT stock. Might get another for this mod, probably a black one, but I always thought of a Deluxe as a wine-red guitar...

.... Tell me/us, about the odd looking input/output jack, on this version.

I'm really not familiar, with it. ....

Yep - a neutrick jack. It locks in a standard jack plug to prevent premature pull out. . . . Uhm . . er . . you know what I mean. B) . . . - http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/210_276241/NJ3FP6C_detail.aspx

To pull out the jack plug you must press down the little red lever. . . . Uhmmm . . . really.

Got one on both my LP and SG.

Hardware.jpg. . . 210_276241.jpg

Archived