Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Jupiter? Or so I think....

Isweeparpeggios

So a few years ago I picked up this guitar for a decent chunk of change, it came used with EMG's 81 & 85... It was a little beat up but it sounded great and at the time I loved it so I bought it. A few months passed and like all my guitars I decided to read up on it, you know see what it was about. I searched for it and couldn't find anything, AT ALL. Not one guitar on the internet that even looked similar to it. The closest cousin this guy had was the Epiphone Demon V

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphone_Demon_V

"Epiphone produced a limited number of set-neck (perhaps neck-through body) offset V-shaped guitars similar to the Jackson RR1 in the mid-80s. Their production numbers were likely limited, as few surviving examples can be found today."

Clearly it wasn't one of them, this guitar has a set neck and doesn't have a string thru body, For Satans sake it didn't look anything like it!

So i ask you, what's up with this guitar?!

I'll link some pictures, If better ones are needed I can do that as well.

2zohmwp.jpg

10d6t7d.jpg

8xt020.jpg

2d2d9vs.jpg

That is a 1985 Flying-V. Made for (maybe) one year and then discontinued under threat of lawsuit by Jackson, IIRC. I've been searching high and low for proof of this model's existence. Thank you very much for bringing it here!

I have one favor to ask of you if you dont mind. Could you take a full body shot of it that I could use for my Epiphonewiki? Its the only V that I dont have a pic for, and my specs are little off as well because of a lack of info on this particular guitar. So if you read the entry, pay no mind to some of the specs listed for this model. They are wrong, but will be corrected later today...thanks to you!

Alright, I'll get you some better pictures tonight and post them in a reply.

Also, the main reason I came on here is that I was looking into selling it and people keep asking for the model name and I don't know what to tell them...

I've only ever heard of it refered to as a 1985 Flying-V. In 1983 there was the Model-1140 and in 1986 there was the V2. So yours was probably just called a Flying-V, but most likely had the "1985" unofficially tacked on afterward for identification purposes. But I really dont know for sure. This is a super rare model that no one really knows much about and for some reason seems to be often times confused with the V2, spec-wise.

As for a selling price, thats a hard one as well.There are no ther 1985 V's for sale to compare it to for pricing. This is the first one I have ever seen. Maybe try $500 and see if you get any bites? Though, in this economy, that may be a little high. Hard to say.

Thanks in advance for the pics. I'll give you credit for them and the corrected specs on the wiki. [thumbup]

• 3 months later...

I've only ever heard of it refered to as a 1985 Flying-V. In 1983 there was the Model-1140 and in 1986 there was the V2. So yours was probably just called a Flying-V, but most likely had the "1985" unofficially tacked on afterward for identification purposes. But I really dont know for sure. This is a super rare model that no one really knows much about and for some reason seems to be often times confused with the V2, spec-wise.

As for a selling price, thats a hard one as well.There are no ther 1985 V's for sale to compare it to for pricing. This is the first one I have ever seen. Maybe try $500 and see if you get any bites? Though, in this economy, that may be a little high. Hard to say.

Thanks in advance for the pics. I'll give you credit for them and the corrected specs on the wiki. [thumbup]

So I ended up losing my camera and getting caught up in bogus life stuff but enough excuses.

I took a bunch of pictures hopefully one or two of these is perfect for what you need.

There's a bunch so here's a link.

http://s970.photobucket.com/albums/ae182/Colton_Cooper/

Let me know what you think and if these were helpful. :)

Archived