Gibson Brands Forums

I want your ideas & recommendation again.

Aster1

Hi Ya'll,

I came across some $$ in a sock and might want to get another Gibby acoustic for the collection. I'd appreciate some recommendations on which direction to go. Here's what Gibson's I have so you know the style/sounds I presently possess:

2011 J-160E 1962 Reissue

2011 Dove

I'm looking at a used Burst Hummingbird or a used J-45 (both standard & rosewood version)

With what I have already, which would you add to the stable and why? Also, if the J-45 would you go standard or a Rosewood side/back version? [confused]

I like the sound of all of them and prolly will end up with a Bird & a J-45 someday. Just LOVING the Dove and don't regret that purchase for a moment. What do you all hear with the Bird vs. J-45 and any playing differences worth mentioning? My J-160E sure looks and is shaped like the J-45 but my version is the ladder bracing & laminated top, not solid spruce & x-bracing like the new ones.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's always fun to get others ideas & feedback on things.

Aster [biggrin]

Hey Aster, I really don,t have any suggestions on which Gibson you should acquire next, but want to know about the word 'prolly' that you use. I have seen that used in a lot of internet dialog lately. It seems to be used for the word 'probably' and seems to be used in the same context....why the change lately in the english language?

Is that easier to text?

As a seasoned citizen, I am curious? Not at all trying to be an ***! Don,t take me wrong, please.

And congrats on finding some $$ in your sock. I,m checking mine now and coming up with lint.... [crying]

Rod

I'm looking at a used Burst Hummingbird or a used J-45. With what I have already, which would you add to the stable and why? [confused]

A 'Bird is essentially a Dove in mahogany (or visa versa). Same baseline sound, but darker, with more sustain, high-end ring,& bass. A mahogany j45 is going to be a crisper git, which may or may not work for you. Iho, its a more versatile piece, suitable for fingerstyle and trad music, but that maor may not apply in your case. A rose J45 (to my ear) loses the advantages of a hog: too much low end, less clarity up top. There are strum and chords guys who swear by em, however.

Check out the difference here, courtesy of the Forum's John Thomas

Hey Aster, I really don,t have any suggestions on which Gibson you should acquire next, but want to know about the word 'prolly' that you use. I have seen that used in a lot of internet dialog lately. It seems to be used for the word 'probably' and seems to be used in the same context....why the change lately in the english language?

Is that easier to text?

Rod

Hi Rod,

I'm somewhat seasoned too (56) and very "Old School" as the youngster say. "Prolly" does me probably, but is how many people pronounce the correct word. I use it for fun. I also like to use lots of 1930's & 40's lingo like "say, what type of clip joint are you running around here" things like that there. Like to delve into the colloquial often again for fun and to preserve some of the best years, IMHO that we had in this great country. You know, when men were men (not boys or who know what else) and we made great stuff in the country. Also when basketball players could do all the cool shooting instead of slam-dunk and wore uniforms that fit instead of sleeping bags! [flapper]

Just me I guess :rolleyes:

Aster

Hey Rambler,

Thanks a lot for the video comparison of the Rose vs. Mahog, J-45. They do sound different even with the cheap computer speakers. I think I may like the Mahogany one better.

So you're saying that the Hummingbird has a bit better high end brightness than the Dove? I have never played them both together and only had a few minutes ever with a Bird but I would have thought the maple would have been brighter. Not disputing, just shows "thinking something just don't make it so!" [wink]

Thanks for the help. Anyone else want to chime in on this?

Aster

Hi Rod,

I'm somewhat seasoned too (56) and very "Old School" as the youngster say. "Prolly" does me probably, but is how many people pronounce the correct word. I use it for fun. I also like to use lots of 1930's & 40's lingo like "say, what type of clip joint are you running around here" things like that there. Like to delve into the colloquial often again for fun and to preserve some of the best years, IMHO that we had in this great country. You know, when men were men (not boys or who know what else) and we made great stuff in the country. Also when basketball players could do all the cool shooting instead of slam-dunk and wore uniforms that fit instead of sleeping bags! [flapper]

Just me I guess :rolleyes:

Aster

Right on! I got ya!......I do the same thing with my 'country slang' spelling of the way we speak 'roun her'. No biggie, just have seen that word cropping up a lot lately...intentional or not.

Aster, me and you would get along just fine. I am of the same mindset at 57!

Now ,back to Gibsons. Guitars are a personal choice. Good Luck in your search! You'll prolly find a 'good 'un'.... :rolleyes:

Everyone that chimed in, THANK YOU. Well, I found a J-45 Custom that a dealer was just going to give away. Just over $2100 delivered. I said "ship that baby out" and will have 10 days to preview it to make sure it's sounding great. Had a terrible wrestle with wanting a Bird, but the Custom was going cheap so I'll just hang back for the Bird later. "Good things come to those who wait" I guess. Either that or "he who hesitates, looses." Man it can go either way on a guy, dang it!!

Decided to sell one of my duplicate Ric models in the Trading Post if anyone's interested in a great looking, playing, sounding Ric. If it don't sell, well then I just get to keep it cuz I tried. [flapper] Still haven't got the hang of things with posting photo's in within the text. Will try again or put up on photobucket when I get that beauty in. Any sting recommendations for the Custom. Almost got a J-45 Vintage (Adirondack spruce & rosewood w/vintage tuners) but I was a sucker for the bling Abalone & gold tuners on the Custom. It was a great price too. I really like those vintage Grover tuners however and may someday change if they fit right on w/o any dicking things up!!!

Aster

Aster.

I thought the "proper" accepted method of choosing which one to buy was to play a bunch until you cream yourself, locating the proper purchase this way.

Of course, discussing it at great length and discussing different great tones and what the possibilities are is not to be hampered, but encouraged.

I thought the "proper" accepted method of choosing which one to buy was to play a bunch until you cream yourself, locating the proper purchase this way.

Of course, discussing it at great length and discussing different great tones and what the possibilities are is not to be hampered, but encouraged.

I a perfect world I would love that, but I know what you mean and use to love that. Our local independent dealer & I parted company after he blew up and kind of ragged at me in front of a room full of customers. All I asked was about the difference in places a guitar was made. [confused] Guess he's missed out on about $15k in guitar stuff the last 1.5 yrs. Oh well, didn't hurt me any. [flapper] They would have only had maybe one of these on the floor anyway to try. I will have a 10 day preview on this git and don't hesitate to return if it isn't GREAT. Also, don't have the time/interest in driving 250-350 miles to other big cities to play them.

Aster

Archived