Gibson Brands Forums

EPIPHONE ACCUSTIC.

MISSABOTTI

G'DAY FROM AUSTRALIA.

I HAVE A BLOND EPIPHONE ACCUSTIC (QUITE LARGE BUT NOT A JUMBO)WHICH I BOUGHT SECOND HAND IN 89-90 IN A PAWN SHOP IN USA

I AM TRYING TO FING OUT THE AGE/HISTORY ON THIS MODEL SO FAR I HAVE LITTLE SUCCESS.

THOUGH IF I JOINED UP WITH THIS FORUM I WOULD GET SOME HELP. SO HERE IS ALL THE INFO I CAN GIVE FROM THE STICKERS AND LABELS ETC.

BACK OF HEAD STOCK IS STICKER WITH:

S NO 1240020 .

INSIDE IS A STICKER WITH:

STYLE.0020(WRITTEN IN INK)

EPIPHONE. FT-570BL(PRINTED)

NO. SHERATON

EPIPHONE.INC

KALIMAZOO MICHIGAN

IF ANYONE CAN HELP. PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

WOLD BE REALLY APPRECIATED.

MISSABOTTI.

Your serial number is meaningless. In this era serial numbers were anything but. Physical description is the best tool for aging this vintage of Epiphone.

This link talks about the history of Epiphones that may shed some light.> > > Brief History < < <

Here is a 1974 catalog with your model for sale: > > > 1974 Catalog < < <

After reading those, you should glean that yours was made between 1972 and 1979 in Japan.

FT = Flat Top

570 = model number, roughly equivalent to the shape of a SJ200

BL = Blonde, no burst. SB suffix would indicate Sunburst.

Since the label says, "Kalamazoo, Michigan", I take it this has the blue label. this places it before 1975 when Epiphone USA Operations moved to Lincolnwood, Illinois. At this time the blue labels were replaced with the larger tan colored 'Lincolnwood' label which said... "Lincolnwood, Illinois".

The '.0020' written in ink is not OEM. Someone penned this graffiti after it left the factory.

If you can, upload detailed pictures to PhotoBucket, the post image links here so we can all drool.

• 1 year later...

Hello from Scotland,

I also have a Sheraton FT-570BL that I bought new in the early 70's

According to the unofficial Gibson/Epiphone wiki these were made 1978-1983 in Japan ?

(http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=FT-Series#FT-570BL.2FSB_Sheraton)

However, the previous reply shows an earlier catalogue !!

My label also says Kalamazoo, Michigan since that is the HQ of the company.

Photo attached (it is very blonde but the evening light makes it look darker)

Frank

post-47053-043748300 1347281215_thumb.jpg

The wiki, is mis-informed. Someone ought to send a message to the wiki owner to correct this. The 1974 catalog clearly shows a 570BL (BL=Blonde, SB=Sunburst).

The Norlin "FT" models' production ended in 1980. It is entirely possible some lingered on shelves well into the 1980s as new/old stock.

The "Kalamazoo" on your blue label meant nothing. It was just photocopied from the labels used on the made in Kalamazoo Epiphones. Your 'Kalamazoo' label likely says, "Made in Japan".

BTW, I want one of these... sunburst, please.

Archived