Gibson Brands Forums

This guy can play !

vourot

That was exceptionally well done and beautiful. The tone of that guitar takes me back to 70's CSNY for some reason

That was exactly my first response, Very much like Stephen Stills' style and tone on "Find the Cost of Freedom" and many others, although he typically played a D-45 or other blinged Martin Dred in that period. Stills was, and is, a great, great acoustic guitar player, and this video tripped me right back to that. Of course, Blind Faith had that fairly decent guitar player, too. What was his name? Clapton, or something like that?

I understand why GG hears Stills in this fine performance. Yet as I remember it, this type of guitar (or other OO, OOO or OM's) were never used in CSN&Y camp. Non of the guys would ever bring a guitar like this on stage, Stills had/have a Martin Triple-O 12-fret, but mostly played D-45 or the Pre War D-28 seen on the cover of the debut album. If there is a resemblance to f.x. Helplessly Hoping or 4+20 here in the clip, the sound still wouldn't be as deep bodied and bass-borne as the 2.

But yes, the fingerpicked Martin voice is up for sure. . .

I understand why GG hears Stills in this fine performance. Yet as I remember it, this type of guitar (or other OO, OOO or OM's) were never used in CSN&Y camp. Non of the guys would ever bring a guitar like this on stage, Stills had/have a Martin Triple-O 12-fret, but mostly played D-45 or the Pre War D-28 seen on the cover of the debut album. If there is a resemblance to f.x. Helplessly Hoping or 4+20 here in the clip, the sound still wouldn't be as deep bodied and bass-borne as the 2.

Stills was the only "real" guitar player at the start of CS&N, although both Graham Nash and David Crosby quickly moved beyond their rhythm guitar and singing roles from the Byrds and the Hollies. I never fully adjusted to CSN&Y as opposed to CS&N. For me, the best thing Neil Young brought to the group was his songwriting skills. While I respect his writing--and even to some extent, his lead singing--his voice and guitar style didn't blend that well with the others, IMHO.

I see what you mean. All though his tunes on Dèjávu suited the trio perfectly, Young was a roll of barbed wire. But sometimes that edge worked fantastic too – listen to Almost Cut My Hair from the same album (and the pendant Cowboy Movie found on the first Crosby release).

I think he spiced up the act and made the 4-headed monster larger than life.

Here is a rare shot of Stephen Arthur Stills with a hyper vintage, maybe 40'ties SJ-200. He very seldom plays acoustic Gibson, but this beauty is the exception. Believe it is from the first 70's Manassas period.

StillswGibson.jpg

That was exactly my first response, Very much like Stephen Stills' style and tone on "Find the Cost of Freedom" and many others, although he typically played a D-45 or other blinged Martin Dred in that period. Stills was, and is, a great, great acoustic guitar player, and this video tripped me right back to that. Of course, Blind Faith had that fairly decent guitar player, too. What was his name? Clapton, or something like that?

Very nice.

Ironically he is playing a Martin "Eric Clapton" signiture model 000 guitar.

But yes, the fingerpicked Martin voice is up for sure. . .

Well, I'm guessing the tuning here is open E. Open D would do it too, but I think this is open E, which is another reason it sounds like many of those Stills songs.

Man, I enjoyed that tremendously!!! I can just hear Steve Winwood's beautiful voice in my head while he was playin'! Takes me back to a sweeter time! When REAL musicians were topping the charts instead of studio/record label wanna-be artists. Thanks for the great video and the memories it brought back! Now I remember why I started playing guitar! As Blind Faith (Clapton, Winwood, Baker) and CSN&Y were some of my biggest influences, I really enjoyed the video! Thanks for sharing!

Well, I'm guessing the tuning here is open E. Open D would do it too, but I think this is open E, which is another reason it sounds like many of those Stills songs.

Point taken – must be songs like Suite Judy Blue Eyes and 4+20 you're talking about. Helplessly Hoping was a standard tuning, wasn't it – Find The Cost of Freedom a dropped D, my guess and way of playing them anyway. And then there were all the others, , , See The Changes from the '77 CSN reunion album f.x. If I shall connect to the video above, let me mention they did a version of Dear Mister Fantasy that never came on any original release. An electric version featuring a highly potent S. Stills. Worthy stuff. . .

Point taken – must be songs like Suite Judy Blue Eyes and 4+20 you're talking about. Helplessly Hoping was a standard tuning, wasn't it – Find The Cost of Freedom a dropped D, my guess and way of playing them anyway. And then there were all the others, , , See The Changes from the '77 CSN reunion album f.x. If I shall connect to the video above, let me mention they did a version of Dear Mister Fantasy that never came on any original release. An electric version featuring a highly potent S. Stills. Worthy stuff. . .

I resisted looking at this for several days. Now that I have,,,,,Well....Very nice!

Surely shows up my "inaddaquincies" (sp) :unsure: on the guitar (and the english language). I have always flat-picked that song and it is one of my favorites of all times....I sing it also and love the words.

Well I must say that the breadth and depth of talent in this world never, ever ceases to amaze me.

A detail worth praising is the smoke-bubble-blower in the Stills footage. The way he gets it in the air and the way the camera follows the UFO till it explodes against the ground has greater effect on me than most contemporary music-videos.

You must be smoking some high-grade gear..... [laugh][laugh]

Hoho - as mentioned before, , , haven't touched the oil for years.

I sincerly think this guy adds to the party. The trick with 2 cups, smoke and elegance is a hit. (I'm afraid the patent got lost during the 80's).

He's not Stephen Stills, , , he's something else ~

Stevie Winwood has such a great voice that a lot of people miss the fact that he is also a really good guitarist.

That fact, has not passed me by! He is a monster of a musician....the consummate master of song and one of my all-time favs of the era...as well as the present [smile]

Archived