Gibson Brands Forums

2001 Les Paul Special

jeff6898

MY son son curently has a Epiphone Ace Frehley model guitar. He is wanted to upgrade to a Gibson american made. Can not afford a good one at this time.I found a used 2001 Gibson Les PAul Special that is in the price range I can get for him. Is this a descent true Gibson model or should I pass on it and hope to be able to afford a better one down the roas?

I would think the used market for Gibson LPs is going to improve for buyers as the economy continues to nosedive. I would keep hunting for the right model. Also be careful when shopping for a used model since there are many fakes out there.

And can you sell the Epiphone to help fund the Gibson purchase?

I agree. If he wants a true Gibson, then it is worth waiting for the right guitar. A Vintage Modern, though, is right in that price range...

or for $100 more this one is gorgeous I saw one at Guitar Center in Nashville. Stunning guitar!

Good Luck ! And you can always pop in here for an educated answer if you have questions... well, not always from me, but there ARE some smart folks here =D>

Well ran across another one in my range. It is a 2007 Gibson les paul GT week 15 guitar of the week. I was told only 400 were made. IT is new never been sold. They guy at the music store said he will let it go for $900 seems like a great price by looking on the internet about it. Any thoughts on thisa one?

Don't mind the Japanese. http://www.gibson.com/jp-jp/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Guitar%20of%20the%20Week/Les%20Paul%20GT/

If you and your son don't mind the red paint, yeah...I'd say $900 is a great price for that guitar.

As for buying a new guitar, I don't think you'll get a much better deal than that one.

Make sure you get the hard case with it.

Neutrik locking input jack.......interesting.

I'll be the contrarian here, I like the LP Special as long as it has a gloss finish.

I've wanted a natural mahogany one for years.

They came with P-90/100's or humbuckers and play very well.

Don't pay over $750 for a nice one with a factory hardcase.

THe special I looked at is $795 with scratches all over the back of it and no case. For some reason I don't remeber the Les Paul signature above the GT like the pictures show. I will have to double check and see if the hard case comes with that one or not. Thanks for eveyones help.

I picked up the Vintage Mahogany from GC last weekend. They're closing them out. Should be about in your price range. Has the same pickups as the LP Standard. Mine is the worn brown, which isn't really worn so much as it is mahogany with a lite finish to protect the wood. Not as fancy as some of the other finishes, but suits my taste as a son of woodworkers.

Archived