Gibson Brands Forums

Emmylou's Montana Gold J200

drathbun

I'm not a big fan of Emmylou's but she and this guitar sure look pretty. There are some really close pans across her fretboard and bridge during this song. The saddle is three individual pieces on this four ribbon bridge. I assume she has it custom made this way as the Gibson site shows a straight single piece saddle. It looks like the strings are ramped well into those pearl inlays too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4bufWfOnuA

The saddle is three individual pieces on this four ribbon bridge. I assume she has it custom made this way as the Gibson site shows a straight single piece saddle.

If you think about it a minute, it will become clear that a three is the minimum number of straight saddle segments needed to get the scale length exactly where you want it on all six strings, I'd guess the intonation on Emmylou's guitar is perfect. (Why this matters given the inherent compromises in the equal temperament scale, straight frets, and the fact that fretting the strings stretches them is a good question, but it seems to make some people happy.)

-- Bob R

I do remember the guys in Montana talking about this when i was up there. it was absolutely done to give her the best intonation they could. it was a one-off just for her but i'm sure you could custom order it. no reason why not.

If you think about it a minute, it will become clear that a three is the minimum number of straight saddle segments needed to get the scale length exactly where you want it on all six strings, I'd guess the intonation on Emmylou's guitar is perfect. (Why this matters given the inherent compromises in the equal temperament scale, straight frets, and the fact that fretting the strings stretches them is a good question, but it seems to make some people happy.)

-- Bob R

For people with perfect or near-perfect pitch, intonation issues with a guitar will drive you crazy. Maybe ELH is "cursed" with that problem, and this is the proper solution.

That's Buddy Miller playing a Wandre Davoli...not sure what year.

It must be a custom. Why would that be desired? I'm curious now. I love ELH and I love that song but as hard as I try I can't do it justice. What the heck is that guy playing?

Great video Doug, thanks.

It must be a custom. Why would that be desired? I'm curious now. I love ELH and I love that song but as hard as I try I can't do it justice. What the heck is that guy playing?

Great video Doug, thanks.

That's the great Buddy Miller. Not sure what he's got there, but there are plenty of interviews with him where he lists his favorite guitars. He's a tone monster, and one of the best.

more Montana Gold

love this song BTW

Edit: it looks like this was before the saddle modification

ELH's picking style sounds good for this kind of stuff, but the Red Dirt Girl strums in the other video were awkward sounding. Maybe she was nursing a sore finger or something. She sings like an angel.

As for the saddle, I'm guessing this is a modification done by her personal luthier. I'd be surprised to hear that the acoustic division is doing this for her.

I'm pretty sure they did. IIRC, they've got a saddle that looks like this up on the wall in the lobby.

-- Bob R

That's the great Buddy Miller. Not sure what he's got there, but there are plenty of interviews with him where he lists his favorite guitars. He's a tone monster, and one of the best.

Ahhhh, I know OF him, but never knew the face. My friend Roxanne is the consummate ELH fan and talks about Buddy Miller all the time. Now I know. Thanks VW!

I'm pretty sure they did. IIRC, they've got a saddle that looks like this up on the wall in the lobby.

-- Bob R

And...she's got the same set-up on at least one other J-200 with the 4 ribbons... (r/w, I think)--I knew I had seen this recently:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/04/06/134661115/watch-emmylou-harris-performs-a-tiny-sxsw-concert

And...she's got the same set-up on at least one other J-200 with the 4 ribbons... (r/w, I think)--I knew I had seen this recently:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/04/06/134661115/watch-emmylou-harris-performs-a-tiny-sxsw-concert

Wow. What a performance. Brought tears to my eyes. A lovely tribute to the great Canadian folksinger/writer Kate McGarrigle. Thank you for posting that Anne. [crying]

Just as a side-note (this IS my thread so I can do this), The McGarrigle Sisters, along with Robbie Robertson, Ginette Reno and Bruce Cockburn are on a new stamp issued by Canada Post.

Canadian Recording Artists on Stamp

One of my favourite short films growing up (it played every Saturday night at the outdoor movie screen at our summer campground at Long Beach on Lake Erie) was a National Film Board of Canada animated short with the music of the McGarrigle's "The Log Driver's Waltz".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upsZZ2s3xv8

Wow. What a performance. Brought tears to my eyes. A lovely tribute to the great Canadian folksinger/writer Kate McGarrigle. Thank you for posting that Anne. [crying]

Just as a side-note (this IS my thread so I can do this), The McGarrigle Sisters, along with Robbie Robertson, Ginette Reno and Bruce Cockburn are on a new stamp issued by Canada Post.

Canadian Recording Artists on Stamp

One of my favourite short films growing up (it played every Saturday night at the outdoor movie screen at our summer campground at Long Beach on Lake Erie) was a National Film Board of Canada animated short with the music of the McGarrigle's "The Log Driver's Waltz".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upsZZ2s3xv8

Oh wow, is there a Canadian alive who isn't familiar with that log song and video? I still love it after all these years. Thanks for posting it Doug.

Archived