Gibson Brands Forums

Emmylou's Montana Gold J200

drathbun

Some people get awful finicky about intonation. It's either her or her set-up guy. It's sort of a compelsion.

I've heard some country singers have their own ideas about what a set of strings consist of. Off the shelf package sets are just not good enough. They'll mix and match different weights, or install 5 wounds with one monofilament, or 3 wounds, 3 monos... This could set up a cascade of bad intonation across the board requiring a special saddle geometry.

Notice Emmy is playing a pretty steady boom-chuck. Maybe she has a special blend of lower two strings for just the right 'boom' for that guitar.

Some people get awful finicky about intonation. It's either her or her set-up guy. It's sort of a compelsion.

I've heard some country singers have their own ideas about what a set of strings consist of. Off the shelf package sets are just not good enough. They'll mix and match different weights, or install 5 wounds with one monofilament, or 3 wounds, 3 monos... This could set up a cascade of bad intonation across the board requiring a special saddle geometry.

Notice Emmy is playing a pretty steady boom-chuck. Maybe she has a special blend of lower two strings for just the right 'boom' for that guitar.

I agree with the comments about the artist's ear for intonation. If you can hear 1-2 cents off in pitch then you have a problem playing a guitar. I know when I bought my SWD, the intonation on the G string was off by 2.5 cents from open to the 12th fret. I took it back to have the tech adjust the saddle a bit and he commented that people can't hear less than 3 cents difference in pitch. I said, "well I DO! Fix it!". Now I shape my own saddles.

Oh wow, is there a Canadian alive who isn't familiar with that log song and video? I still love it after all these years. Thanks for posting it Doug.

That's a sweet song Karen. I'd never heard it. Cool.

I'm not a big fan of Emmylou's but she and this guitar sure look pretty. There are some really close pans across her fretboard and bridge during this song. The saddle is three individual pieces on this four ribbon bridge. I assume she has it custom made this way as the Gibson site shows a straight single piece saddle. It looks like the strings are ramped well into those pearl inlays too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4bufWfOnuA

I don't care who you are. That there is purty.... all of it. The music, guit tar and EmmyLou.

[thumbup]

I agree with the comments about the artist's ear for intonation. If you can hear 1-2 cents off in pitch then you have a problem playing a guitar. I know when I bought my SWD, the intonation on the G string was off by 2.5 cents from open to the 12th fret. I took it back to have the tech adjust the saddle a bit and he commented that people can't hear less than 3 cents difference in pitch. I said, "well I DO! Fix it!". Now I shape my own saddles.

+1 on the ear and intonation and having a problem playing. Not sure exactly about my own rate, but I can ear small differences in intonation. Had a real hard time recently with the hot and humid weather to tune my HBird with my Peterson Strobo-Clip and considered getting an easier to use. Now that things are more temperate, the tuning is much easier and I can make this sweet H-Bird sings again [smile]

+1 on the ear and intonation and having a problem playing. Not sure exactly about my own rate, but I can ear small differences in intonation. Had a real hard time recently with the hot and humid weather to tune my HBird with my Peterson Strobo-Clip and considered getting an easier to use. Now that things are more temperate, the tuning is much easier and I can make this sweet H-Bird sings again [smile]

I'm NOT impressed with the Peterson Strobo-Clip. I have the Peterson iStroboSoft app on my iPhone which is way more accurate and stable. Also my PlanetWaves Chromatic Pedal Tuner is pretty accurate as well. But the clip is almost unusable.

For people with perfect or near-perfect pitch, intonation issues with a guitar will drive you crazy. Maybe ELH is "cursed" with that problem, and this is the proper solution.

Anyone with perfect pitch certainly wouldn't be playing a fretted instrument. As a previous poster stated there are many compromises in the tempered scale and on top of that stretching over the frets pulls the notes out. More like a curse of ocd like pitch memory. The point is some notes will always be out on a guitar no mater what you do. So the individual decides what notes are acceptably out and what are not.

Archived