Gibson Brands Forums

Housing update

ksdaddy

So I've been looking at houses seemingly forever. I've looked at many dumps. Now keep in mind MY house is a dump so just about any house that I perceive as

'better' is a temptation. But thanks to Lynn, who can pick the fly poop out of the pepper, I've looked with a more critical eye.

One that really stood out on many levels is a 1963 3 bedroom ranch on 3.5 acres, 1.5 miles out of town. Attached 2 car garage with finished but unheated rooms above it. Long paved driveway with lots of nice trees and lilac bushes. It's on my mother's road, almost exactly across the river from where I currently live and it's my old stomping grounds. While the house has has vinyl siding added, it's mostly a time capsule of the 50s. Varnished woodwork everywhere, sliding doors on the closets, a series of Jetsonesque futuristic shelves between the kitchen and living room, etc. The three bedrooms each have one full wall of closets (on interior walls). It will need a roof soon and the carpeting is worn, plus some windows will need to be replaced. But I like it. A lot. The price is a highly negotiable $79K. They thought they had it sold in May but the deal fell through due to financing. I looked at it a month ago but didn't make an offer because I knew they had company from out of state and figured business could wait. Someone else made an offer and it was accepted while I snoozed. I was disappointed of course.

Last thursday the realtor called and said the person who made the bid was unable to get financed. On Saturday I 'accidentally' drove by and since they were having a yard sale I struck up a conversation with them. Apparently the realtor hadn't broken the news to them because they are still convinced the deal is going through. After chatting them up for a half hour and explaining my own current life story ad why I'm shopping for a house they both stated they wished they could have sold it to ME... if they could have picked the buyer, it would have gone to me.

So I called the realtor and told her I want to look again at it today. I have a feeling she will combine the bad news about the deal with the good news that someone wants to view it right now and maybe a sale will come out of it.

I have spoken with my girlfriend for hours about this and I don't expect her to move in with me anytime soon. If and when the time is right, it will happen. She has a lot of baggage and doesn't want to jump into something. And she insists if I buy a house, it be for ME, not HER. So that's what I'm doing. If we don't work out, I can still live in that house and be happy.

But I'd still rather have her with me.

Good luck KS, hope it all works out... Seems like you are taking a very good approach to buying the house and the possibility of having your girlfriend move in with you. You don't want her to think you are pressuring her into anything right now.... Sometimes baggage takes a while to get rid of, give it time...

Aye... best of luck to you... both with the house and with a home.

As for the girlfriend... There are ways of seeing it and ways of seeing it. We're sometimes privileged in life to have friends who bring light into our dusk and remain - and sometimes do not remain but their light does whether we realize it or not. It's something to cherish regardless.

m

Pretty nondescript on the outside but I'm not looking for a showpiece, just elbow room! Long range discussions indicate the white vinyl will disappear and be replaced with something... uh... I dunno, gray maybe? Something a little less sterile. A bay window would be nice too.

2r3jvp2.jpg

Grotesque Jetsons 1950s Americana! All I need is a korina Explorer on the wall! Lynn would like this wall/shelf to go away. Yep, sure, hon. When there's a ring on your finger you can do whatever you like. Until then, it's my call.

s4vyac.jpg

Lynn would like this wall/shelf to go away. Yep, sure, hon. When there's a ring on your finger you can do whatever you like. Until then, it's my call.

s4vyac.jpg

I gotta agree with Lynn on this one... If you like big open Space lose that divider....

Good luck!

And on a side note, make sure you get a good and trusted inspector to look the house over from crawl space to attic and back. Know what you are getting into with any house. If the interior looks untouched, there is a good chance the rest of the house is untouched too. You mentioned the roof, but there may be more. If you are already wise to this you can tell me to shut it.

KS I hope you just bought yourself a house.

It's a charming house not unlike the one I just left prior to buying our first home earlier this year.

Two front doors?

That's just like our old place.

Good luck with that.

Oh... lose the divider. I think the open space will make it seem larger.

A friend recently retired from USDA Rural Development and has done about 700+ home inspections. He will be accompanying me on my next visit, which is Tuesday at 4:30. While it's not an official inspection, he will be going through the same process as when he was 'on the job'.

You guys are probably right about losing the divider. But I think I'll hold off and let Lynn do it if she ends up moving in... that way it will be part of HER nesting ritual.

Nice house - hope you get it. IMO your GF is right about the divider thing going away. Financing is ugly right now but if you qualify the interest rates are great - we're getting something like 4.3% on a 30 year fixed. I just spent 3 hours with the inspectors at the one my GF and I are buying and nothing major came up so it's just a matter of getting the paperwork finished.

Personally, I like walls, but the 'pass through's' are a nice compromise. You can see what is going on in the next room, but you don't have to be a part of it.

The current style is wide open cafegymatorium living space. Me, I'm not much for it. Sure I like a big living room and large kitchen, just not all in the same place. I think it's the female influence. Men like to congregate with, well men. Women like to congregate with women, but want the boys to come do the girl stuff because they don't like that they don't know what we are up to in the garage with the car hood up. Can you believe my daughter invited me to her baby shower? :lol: 'Sorry sweety, I have to uh, :unsure: grease the ceiling fans and rotate the furnace blower belts.' My wife went and provided some of the party game supplies. It involved disposable diapers and chocolate bars. [bored] Don't ask. BTW, had I gone, I would have had the only "Y" chromosome in the building, except for my not yet born grandson.

If you want to keep the wall... [sneaky] Scott, it looks like a load bearing wall to me and cannot be moved without M-A-J-O-R re-construction of the rafters and basement walls, not to mention footings and footing tiles. [wink] Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket.

I do see a sizable work shop too. Nice wide doors, but, uh, where are you going to park the cars?

Archived