Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite $499 Epi?

Elias Graves

I'd have to say the Trad Pro because it's probably the most versatile guitar on the market today since it has the coil splitting and then too the humbuckers have the real PAF vibe to them.The $500 price tag makes the Epi Trad Pro maybe the best bang for the buck on the market today.If you want to go just a tad higher the G-400-Custom at $550 is a fabulous bargain because it can be used for the raunchiest of metal licks yet plugged into a nice old Fender Deluxe Reverb it can bring out some of the most lush and beautiful of jazz tones.

I'd vote for the Trad Pro all the way!

No one has ever come closer to the "perfect guitar" than the Les Paul IMO. This Epi is so close to the Gibson verson of the same guitar that I ... almost (not quite) ... feel silly for having spent all that dough on the Gibby. Just an excellent instrument!

Jim

My current "favorite" $499 Epiphone, is my Riviera P-93LE in "Wine Red." [thumbup]

CB

I had one of those on order (sweet) but decided I needed a Thinline Tele (Squier) instead. I already have 5 hollow/semi hollow guit's including some P90 guys, so...

A 56 gold top is a tempting choice.

I'd probably go with the 339. Here's why...

Epi's China facility has been improving rapidly the last several years. The 339 is a brand new design and has the benefit of more experienced designers with access to the best design software. I'm sure it'll be running on an up to date line as well. Combine that with the coolness of a 339 with probuckers and splits and I say it's an easy choice.

Make mine vintage sunburst.

EG

My current "favorite" $499 Epiphone, is my Riviera P-93LE in "Wine Red." [thumbup]

CB

I love mine too and that would be my choice as well.

I'm not sure how the 339 is anyone's favorite because it hasn't even come out yet. The specs for it look very nice though.

I'd have to say the Trad Pro because it's probably the most versatile guitar on the market today since it has the coil splitting and then too the humbuckers have the real PAF vibe to them.The $500 price tag makes the Epi Trad Pro maybe the best bang for the buck on the market today...

I couldn't have said it better. The Traditional Pro is a great value, and a very versatile guitar.

Just bought a Traditional Pro in korina yesterday. And I got it for $399 at GC in Baton Rouge. I pointed out a TINY rub mark on the back and voila - instant $100 voucher sent to my iphone! I've had probably around 30 guitars to include American and Mexican Fenders, two Gibsons, Ibanez, Agiles (which I highly recommend), G&L's, etc. I've also had several Epiphones (an LP Tribute, a Custom Shop LP Jr, and a Custom Shop Wilshire). Apart from the Agiles and a G&L Tribute S-500, I've never been so smitten with a guitar from the start! I am absolutely in love with this guitar!!!

Talking MAP price here.

The list would include anything with a $499 everyday price.

ES175

ES339

LP Traditional Pro

Wildkat

Etc.

Which is your favorite and why?

EG

Well..... I'd be partial to the Wildkat, but have only demo'ed a few, don't own one. Practically speaking, it would be my LP Std +top - getting back into electrics some time back, I ordered the low budget "all access Pack" or whatever Epi calls it, with a git, cheap strap, cheap tuner, cheap cord, really cheap gig bag, and cheap 15w ss amp (had been ampless for many years, figured this would get me playing amplified whilst I decided what nicer amp to get). I ordered a plaintop honeyburst, the whole package being $499, and Musicians Friend was kind enough to screw up and send me a plus top....at that time they were selling for $549, but mine cost me $499 with free junk, basically....so my vote goes to my Epi Std + . Even though it didn't really meet the real $499 "standard". Would still love to get me a Wildkat, some day.... the ones I played were really nice guitars [thumbup]

EPILPSM.jpg

OOOOoooh, dalep - that looks really nice!!!! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Does $500 even count? I picked up one of these and then when MF was running them at $500 even last week got a rebate to $500 even.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-50th-anniversary-1960-les-paul-version-3-electric-guitar

EPILPSM.jpg

dalep - are those your kids? Nice family. My kids would not be able to resist holding the guitar.

My current Epi Les Paul Studio Deluxe with Gibby pups in, comes to around that price thanks to AlanH [thumbup]

Glad you're enjoying it, Pete!

You actually make a very good point there. You can buy a brand new Epi LP Studio or G400 and put in new Gibson or Seymour Duncan Pups for that $499/£360 figure. That gives you an entry level recording and/or gigging guitar at an extremely good price.

Favorite $499 Epiphone? G-400 Custom. Just bought one recently and sounds like heaven. And after replacing the stock nut with a bone one, it plays the way really good vodka goes down, smooth. And it sounds like really good whiskey, hard.

Favorite $499 Epiphone? G-400 Custom. Just bought one recently and sounds like heaven. And after replacing the stock nut with a bone one, it plays the way really good vodka goes down, smooth. And it sounds like really good whiskey, hard.

Welcome to the forums, there's a great bunch of geet geeks around here, I hope you like the place.

Congrats on your G400 Custom, they can be great guitars if you get a good one, mine's not so good, it has terrible neck flex, just bad luck I guess. Be nice if you can post some pics, there's info on posting pics in the DIY thread pinned to the top of this (Epi Lounge) section of the forum, there's also a plethora of information on most things guitar related too.

DIY Thread

I just snagged one of these FOR $399... IN a HSC Modded out with new pots/caps and Seymour Duncan's of some nature I'll know better once she's home.

It's on layaway, I got to budget for these sort of things, I always try to keep a rough 20% down payment kicking around for this sort of thing.

I love picking up the 300 - 400 dollar Epi's and modding the crap outta them.92ee31f5-eb76-408a-81fa-3f567f34e0db.jpg

Archived