Gibson Brands Forums

Boomy Pup's

Josh James

I just had a question to throw out there. Have a Seymour 59 in the neck of my standard and it seems overly bass heavy. Granted I'm using a 1X10 20 watt combo, have the bass set at 1 and it still just hits the amp so hard. I will be getting a line out on the combo to go to my 2X12 closed cab, do you think this will cure the boominess or should I be thinking a swap? BTW pearly gates in bridge.

Any thoughts appreciated!

J

A few questions:

This "boominess" you are referring to-is it the speakers bottoming out? is it a particular problem with ONE aspect of the tone using the neck pup, or are you unhappy with the overall tone?

You mention the BASS on the amp set at "1". Is this a setting you like for the amp, or are you setting it that way because of a problem with the neck pup? How do you like the sound of the bridge pup?

What kind of amp is it?

I understand you are hitting the road soon. How much time do you have to spend on this?

I set it that way because of the 59 in the neck. It is a 81 or 82 Rivera Era Fender Champ 2, stock speaker. I really like it for smoother lead tones, but I need a acceptable rhythm tone. Like I said, maybe the vintage 30's in the cab will cure it? Then I can go with the Lp junior for smaller gigs with just the amp and the standard for bigger gigs with the cab?

The tone is to harsh and bass heavy, just sounds poop...sounds decent in the middle pos with the PG, but still hits to hard. Or Maybe something more vintage in the neck position, another PG or a BB1 or something? I play a lot of classic "british blues" and rock, not really hard rock per say though.

J

K..I am familiar with the amp (haven't played it, but I have heard it being played) as well as Mr. Rivera's amps. He is damned good. He makes his amps to punch. Of corse, you will NEED to try the V30 cab to actually know.

Regarding what you are decribing about the guitar: it sounds like the entire guitar has a rather dark tendency. (if the Jr. is fine with your rig). It sounds like you are leaning on the bridge pup more than you like to make up for it.

SD pups, (those in particular) are rather neutral in tone, and they have excellent fidelity. They are the pups you want to use when you have a good sounding rig, because they let the sound come out. They are also the go-to pups when you have problems with other fancy pups.

First, I would check what you have for caps and how the guitar is wired. If the caps are the standard .047, change at least the neck tone cap to a .022, and if you want, do some PIO caps to sweeten it up.

Basically, I think you want to dial in your wiring on the guitar (to match YOUR use of it and to match what the guitar is telling you) before you do pup swaps. I say that because you already have good pups and a good rig.

Thanks Stein, I believe that is the solution I may be looking for. I know a lot of people think the champ 2 is laughable to gig with, but I swear it is louder than 20 watts or whatever it is rated at....really loud, especially with the push- pull mid boost. It is a 93 standard, I thought it would be a bright sounding guitar, but I suppose it is a bit dark. It makes sense now reading a lot that people think the PG in the bridge is ice-picky, but it sounds super in my ax! My purpose of putting those pups in there was just to have some vintage variety and looking at the tone chart they seemed to match up ok. Both have pretty big bass response in the eq and that is a welcome addition in the bridge, but just need that 59 to be a bit smoother and balanced.

Cheers,

J

I might add:

I have a '96 special, and it didn't come alive from just a pup swap-it took a rewire to get it to "wake up". I think the wiring on certain Gibsons are pretty weak.

I haven't done a whole lot of Gibby's, but the wiring layout AND the schematic seem to make as much difference as pups. At the very least, it DOES make a difference.

In most cases, unless I know what I want specifically, I default to as close to the "vintage" spec as I can. I'm rambling..the point.

You might get some braided wire and rewire it. At the very least, it will then have wire closer to a vintage type sound you seem to be after. You might also consider doing the "50's" wiring thing. The 50's wiring basically reverses the order of the volume and tone controls (not physically..they are still the same place) electronically so as you roll the volume down, you retain more highs.

In a true 50's type circuit, when the selecter is in the middle selection, whichever volume control is set lower controls the volume for both pups. There is a way to wire it though to have each volume control each pup when using the center position if you are used to that or want to keep it that way.

Archived