Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar sounds strange when connected to my PC

MrSaint

Ok, first this is the setup:

Epiphone G400 connected to a ZOOM G2.1Nu pedal, the pedal is connected to the PC via and USB cable.

Yes, I have the ASIO drivers installed. The operating system is Windows 7 x64 (if you wonder).

Problem: When I have the guitar connected to the PC the sound is completely different than what I am used to hear from the amplifier.

First I thought, it's the headphones. So I tried the speakers, same there. Went to a store and got me a pair of AKG 701's incl. amplifier for them. Still the same..

I have tried the "direct" modes aswell. Also, the sound level is rather low, which I have tried to adjust in the control panel.

Other stuff I have tried: Update the systems sound drivers, re-install ASIO drivers, adjusting the pedal's output.

Nothing. I mainly use Audacity for recording and Sony Soundforge for editing. In Soundforge I can boost the recorded sound, but I should not need to.

Thankful for any replies given.

You've taken the sound of the amplifier you normally plug the Zoom into out of the equation. Guitar amps colour the sound whatever you plug into them whereas Hi-Fi amps or PC speakers are designed to be clean. All you're getting now is the sound of the Zoom's amp sim. Plus you're missing the actual air shifting speaker in the amp. Probably the only way you're going to get somewhere close to what you're used to hearing is to use an amp simulator on your PC and play through the Zoom into that. You can get a free one from Native Instruments (Guitar Rig Free Player) which seems to be based on a Marshall amp/speaker or there's a free one from IK Multimedia called Amplitube. In fact, there's a thread about 5 below this one titled "Audio Clips of New Gear Coming to Amplitube Custom Shop". The NI sim is cool but the Amplitube one gives you the opportunity to add other amp models (Fender - Orange etc) for very little money at a later date. I use both of these in a DAW but Guitar Rig can be used as a stand alone. I'm not sure about Amplitube but, if it doesn't run stand alone, you can always get a copy of the free program SaviHost which will (probably) make it do so.

Incidentally, ASIO drivers only really improve latency, they don't seem to have any effect on the sound (other than reducing latency distortions). Your soundcard will set the bit rate and depth but, again, that won't affect the sound coming into the PC. 24 bit 48k gives more headroom/ is cleaner than 16 bit 44.1k but whether that's noticable for electric guitar is another debate. Finally, Some sound cards do seem noticably quieter than others.

Indeed as the above poster said....you're missing out an integral part.

The amp itself.

No doubt the sound of the guitar will most likely lose a fair bit of bottom end, almost treble like going direct.

I use guitar rig 4 either by itself just to jam out or through cakewalk sonar 8.5.3 PE if I have a project idea.

Guitar Rig 4 is not bad but it's not perfect.

Would be better if you bought a decent condenser mic and record you guitar through the amp to retain the sound you get as much as possible.

You've taken the sound of the amplifier you normally plug the Zoom into out of the equation. Guitar amps colour the sound whatever you plug into them whereas Hi-Fi amps or PC speakers are designed to be clean. All you're getting now is the sound of the Zoom's amp sim. Plus you're missing the actual air shifting speaker in the amp. Probably the only way you're going to get somewhere close to what you're used to hearing is to use an amp simulator on your PC and play through the Zoom into that. You can get a free one from Native Instruments (Guitar Rig Free Player) which seems to be based on a Marshall amp/speaker or there's a free one from IK Multimedia called Amplitube. In fact, there's a thread about 5 below this one titled "Audio Clips of New Gear Coming to Amplitube Custom Shop". The NI sim is cool but the Amplitube one gives you the opportunity to add other amp models (Fender - Orange etc) for very little money at a later date. I use both of these in a DAW but Guitar Rig can be used as a stand alone. I'm not sure about Amplitube but, if it doesn't run stand alone, you can always get a copy of the free program SaviHost which will (probably) make it do so.

Incidentally, ASIO drivers only really improve latency, they don't seem to have any effect on the sound (other than reducing latency distortions). Your soundcard will set the bit rate and depth but, again, that won't affect the sound coming into the PC. 24 bit 48k gives more headroom/ is cleaner than 16 bit 44.1k but whether that's noticable for electric guitar is another debate. Finally, Some sound cards do seem noticably quieter than others.

Yes, but I have tried the "DIRECT" mode i.e. it creates different amps for me (Matched, Combo, Tweed & Stack), but still it sound "strange" to me.

I think it is better if I record into Audacity and give a sample (or a few).

Yes, but I have tried the "DIRECT" mode i.e. it creates different amps for me (Matched, Combo, Tweed & Stack), but still it sound "strange" to me.

I think it is better if I record into Audacity and give a sample (or a few).

Does your guitar amp have a line out or send out so you can plug it into the PC?

You should try it for comparisons sake.

EDIT:- Just took a look at your little amp.

What you could do is send out from the headphone jack and into the PC to compare.

Does your guitar amp have a line out or send out so you can plug it into the PC?

You should try it for comparisons sake.

EDIT:- Just took a look at your little amp.

What you could do is send out from the headphone jack and into the PC to compare.

+1 on trying the headphone jack signal. Your amp sound cannot be replicated with the hookup you describe. The only question is: do you have an interface you can use to connect the headphone jack to the PC?

+1 on trying the headphone jack signal. Your amp sound cannot be replicated with the hookup you describe. The only question is: do you have an interface you can use to connect the headphone jack to the PC?

Pretty much any PC or laptop would have some sort of Line In wouldn't it? It would just be a matter of pointing your recording software at that input. Having said that, I've tried a Vox amp with a line out which is supposed to simulate the sound from the speaker and it's not that successful at emulating the actual sound you hear from the speaker. Worth a try though.

Pretty much any PC or laptop would have some sort of Line In wouldn't it? It would just be a matter of pointing your recording software at that input. Having said that, I've tried a Vox amp with a line out which is supposed to simulate the sound from the speaker and it's not that successful at emulating the actual sound you hear from the speaker. Worth a try though.

The OP will at least have a mic/line in which he can send to by using a 1/4" jack to 3.5mm jack adapter if using a typical PC sound card.

The likely hood of the sound he gets from the headphone jack to the PC will not be the same but maybe an overall better tone than what he is getting from the amp-sim in the pedal he is using.

My line out from my Marshall head sounds bright, thin with no bottom end.

Totally different from the sound which came from the cab.

Was made to line out once at a gig.

Let the sound man set me up line out through the sound test because he insisted.

Before starting the set I unplugged it and made someone set up a mic in front of one of my cab.

Best thing I ever did.

I stand by what jonnyg suggested.

Guitar rig or the free equivalent which I have not used.

Or place a mic in front of the amp. and plug that into the mic/line in on the Desktop or laptop.

OP, if you have money to spare, the next option would be to go for either an internal or external pro audio sound card, mic stand and mic.

Preferably a sound card with 48v phantom power and a condenser mic with mic stand and you'll be set.

Archived