Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON DOOMSDAY APPROACHES! BAD NEWS!

voyteskimo

I don't think im the only one, but i have a bad feeling about Gibson...

Prices are about to go up steeper than a 90 degree cliff...

Does anyone else have this strange gut feeling?

Robot's RRP is now $4000, which is $6300 NZD, which is a SHITLOAD more than what it started out on...

THE END IS NEAR!!

(sorry for the doomsday talk....)

Did Gibson not just drop the prices on their robots from 4000$ to something like 1500$?? USA is having that debt problem thing going on, Britain is going into recession, the world isn't doin that well just now for us! Soon a chocolate bar will be 5 bux!

The reason marshall and Orange amps are so expensive here is because the $$ is so weak. I would think the price of a Gibson would have dropped in Europe because the Euro/Pound is much stronger.

And voyteskimo, get a grip on yourself man. Gibson is doing just fine. If anything, they are getting smarter by weeding out some of their less productive lines.

Looks like they are WAY cheaper than $4k here : Robots at MF

They were supposed to go up on prices for both Gibson and Epiphone. There were signs up in all the guitar stores. I'd guess it was normal inflation or high fuel prices driving up the cost of manufacturing. That gets passed along to the consumer 9 times out of 10.

The economy sucks... but not bad enough to jack the price of a Robot to 4k.... at least not here in the US.

+1 on Marshall prices here in the US!

The reason marshall and Orange amps are so expensive here is because the $$ is so weak. I would think the price of a Gibson would have dropped in Europe because the Euro/Pound is much stronger.

And voyteskimo' date=' get a grip on yourself man. Gibson is doing just fine. If anything, they are getting smarter by weeding out some of their less productive lines.

[/quote']

Marshall & Orange amps have always been expensive. I cant remember a time when they were not.

Hey voy, have a shot of Crown and relax, it's like blue wrote, Gibson's got their ducks in a row, all they're doing is shootin out the ugly ducklings, that they know won't turn into swans over time. Oh and deep, +1000 on Marshalls and Oranges always being more expensive. Tried and true just like Fender amps they're like a good wine or a good beer they only get better as they age.

I don't think im the only one' date=' but i have a bad feeling about Gibson...

Robot's RRP is now $4000, which is $6300 NZD, which is a SHITLOAD more than what it started out on...

THE END IS NEAR!!

(sorry for the doomsday talk....)[/quote']

Good... Let them rise... I took a lot of money out of retirement before all this "economic slump" happened and bought (used ebay) gibson guitars... And boy, am I glad I did that...

Good... Let them rise... I took a lot of money out of retirement before all this "economic slump" happened and bought (used ebay) gibson guitars... And boy' date=' am I glad I did that...[/quote']

That's probably not the smartest strategy. First of all, the likelihood of those guitar appreciating in value is pretty slim. And if they do appreciate, they probably won't appreciate fast enough to keep up with inflation. Also, a hard asset like a guitar can be stolen, damaged in a flood, etc.

Second, you need to be in the market for when it rebounds. And it will rebound. By the time you've figured out the markets is rebounding, it is way too late to take advantage of it. The best thing to be doing right now is to keep you 401k intact and actually increasing your contributions--that way you are buying low so when the market goes up you are in a position to make some money.

I don't think im the only one' date=' but i have a bad feeling about Gibson...

THE END IS NEAR!!

(sorry for the doomsday talk....)[/quote']

What isn't right now though?

Not just Gibson,is from one end of America to the other

Thanks Clinton,Bush

That's probably not the smartest strategy. First of all' date=' the likelihood of those guitar appreciating in value is pretty slim. And if they do appreciate, they probably won't appreciate fast enough to keep up with inflation. Also, a hard asset like a guitar can be stolen, damaged in a flood, etc.

Second, you need to be in the market for when it rebounds. And it will rebound. By the time you've figured out the markets is rebounding, it is way too late to take advantage of it. The best thing to be doing right now is to keep you 401k intact and actually increasing your contributions--that way you are buying low so when the market goes up you are in a position to make some money.

[/quote']

I agree with you about the markets... It wasn't my intention to make money, I just wanted to have some nice guitars to play... So, there was no investment strategy involved.... It was only a small percentage of my savings tied up in mutual funds...

Now if I were to take the money out NOW and buy guitars that would be really stupid... But I did it when the DOW was at about 13000...

Used Gibson les paul customs went from about $500 average in 1984 to now at about $2500... Thats a 500% increase in 24 years... Now, I know that is very unusual and not the norm... But, you can't say that Gibsons have a slim chance of appreciating... But I will say that they will most likely NOT depreciate like my savings are doing right now...

I'm with Cajun. I've actually bought a 1933 Gibson A-00 Mandolin from George Gruhn that belonged to the late GREAT Scotty Stoneman, and a new ES-339 Custom Shop this year, and have a few other ideas while my Mutual fund is going south.

I can write em' off my taxes because I'm a pro, gig em' and make money, enjoy them, and even the new ones are NOT going to go down very much, and will actually go up eventually.

Murph.

Um. Economy?

Gibson raises their prices every year. Nothing to get alarmed about. The only doom and havoc is what it's gonna do to your wallet.

If anything' date=' keeps the brand more "elite."[/b']

Is this considered a good thing by those who actually own Gibsons?

Just asking, because I don't see why it matters.

Is this considered a good thing by those who actually own Gibsons?

Just asking' date=' because I don't see why it matters.[/quote']

For some, of course it is. Just like some folks drive Cadillacs for the name and prestige. For myself and others it is just a bad *** guitar.

I'm with Cajun. I've actually bought a 1933 Gibson A-00 Mandolin from George Gruhn that belonged to the late GREAT Scotty Stoneman' date=' and a new ES-339 Custom Shop this year, and have a few other ideas while my Mutual fund is going south.

I can write em' off my taxes because I'm a pro, gig em' and make money, enjoy them, and even the new ones are NOT going to go down very much, and will actually go up eventually.

Murph.[/quote']

Amen man.. I love that I can play my investment...

Archived