Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Pickup/coil-tap on ES-339

echuber

I'm a strat player that just bought an EES-339. I'm in a band that plays country and classic rock. I bought the Gibson to have something different, and I really like an overdriven humbucker on classic rock songs. Since I play mostly rhythm, however, I struggle with the cleans that don't cut through the mix on our gigs. I would prefer to only take one guitar to each performance. So, I would really like to split the coils on this guitar to have the single coil sound while strumming especially on country songs, but the Gibson Classic 57 pickups cannot be split (being braided one-conductor cables). Therefore, I would need to get new pickups. I like the Classic 57's but do find them a little brittle on the treble and somewhat muddy on the bass. What would be a good alternative pickup configuration that could be split and maybe provide a snappier bass and smoother high's?? I've narrowed it down to the SD Seth Lover's (apparently have a 4 conductor option), the SD Classic '59's, or the Dimarzio 36th Annivery PAF's. Which do you all think would be the best pickup to fill the need I have described? I realize that a split humbucker won't sound like a Strat (maybe more like a Tele) and will have less volume, but I've played a Traditional Pro with coil-tapped Burstbuckers that sounded pretty good, especially in a gig setting. But, I like the hollow-body mojo better! Plus it's a lot lighter. Thanks for your input!!

339's are great guitars. 57 Classics are available with a 4 conductor wire along with most of the Gibson pickups. I have not tried any other pickups in my 339's but I have tried the SD Seth Lover and SD Classic 59's in a Les Paul. The Seth Lovers sounded cleaner and more defined. As you know there are so many pickups to try that you need to get lots of input from others before spending the big bucks to make the change. I would suggest that you make a phone call to Jason Lollar and tell him what you are looking for. Yes you will pay a little more but can you talk to the guy that makes the pickups at the big companies? A new guy that is winding some pretty nice humbuckers is Jason Churchill in Nebraska. He mainly sells on ebay but I have a set of his Prime Ministers that are waiting to go into something. Then there is WCR that has some awesome pickups and Throbak that has the old Gibson machines that produce fantastic pickups. If limited to the ones you listed, I would be trying Seth Lovers first as I have had some in a Les Paul but that doesn't mean they will sound great in a 339. I think about a set of Burstbuckers 3's. The 336 & 355 owners will have better advice.

• 1 month later...

I just got my 2nd 339 and will install Goodtone PU's. I get coil tap on the neck and overwound on the bridge for lead stuff. The 57s have to go. Work should be done within a week and I can tell you how it sounds. My Les Paul Trad Pro has also coil tap and will be the reference. I love the Tele sounds you can get on a good humbucker. Makes the guitar very versatile.

Goodtone got very good reviews (it's a guy in Switzerland, like myself) and I hope my 339 will shine even more. Cheers

Archived