Gibson Brands Forums

Ok if no one else is going to say it

Enmitygauged

Have to give it up for the King. Although I don't dig much on that whole white trash strikes it big off stage persona, he was one of the greatest performers in rock history. The man knew how to put on a show and could sing anyone's songs. I do confess that the only Elvis music I really get into are the 1956 recordings he did for RCA Records. That three piece band of his, with Scotty Moore on guitar!, was smoking.

I thought he was great when I was a kid... Then the British invasion happened and he wasn't cool any more. Funny thing is now I'm playing 4 or 5 tunes of his in my band and I'm starting to get back into it. No one can deny he was a huge talent and ground breaker... RIP Elvis

The late in life, overweight Elvis kind of took away the cool factor, but I love that late 1950's stuff when he still had that growl in his voice. Parents forbid the kids to listen to him, preachers preached sermons about his evil ways, and the establishment was AFRAID of him.

Rock and Roll doesn't get cooler than that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gvVl5pygxE

I loved Elvis when I was growing up. I used to save my money for months just to buy an album of his. They were $5.00 at the time. I remember my mom complaining that his albums were 'way more expensive than the other albums'. I remember how excited I was when I bought the album Girls Girls Girls, which was the soundtrack to my fav Elvis movie <sigh>

Thank you Elvis for all the fun and great music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOHmbHDlOWs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z54-QHEZN6E&feature=related

Big Elvis fan! Taught myself to play chords with an Elvis songbook... Love Me Tender was the first song I played and sang all the way through.

RIP Elvis....

or, as they say in some circles... Happy Birthday!!!

If not for Elvis there would have been no Beatles.

Not totally true. There were a lot of influences on the Beatle such as Buddy Holly and the Crickets but Elvis did influence just about everything and everybody that followed in rock. He may also have been the prototype for what fame can do.

He may not have been the King but he was one of the Founding Fathers.

I loved Elvis when I was growing up. I used to save my money for months just to buy an album of his. They were $5.00 at the time. I remember my mom complaining that his albums were 'way more expensive than the other albums'. I remember how excited I was when I bought the album Girls Girls Girls, which was the soundtrack to my fav Elvis movie <sigh>

Thank you Elvis for all the fun and great music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOHmbHDlOWs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z54-QHEZN6E&feature=related

Love the Harmony mahogany. I don't think it's what is heard on the soundtrack though.

I agree with most of you early Elvis before the Jumpsuits and Cheeseburgers. He was the man. The Paradox is as much as I like his early stuff and as with Chan Man I too learnt Love me tender as my first song well "Aura Lee" I dont own a single album have a single song on Itunes but man I still watch his movies lol. Ann Margrett wow. I was so born in the wrong decade.

Not totally true. There were a lot of influences on the Beatle such as Buddy Holly and the Crickets but Elvis did influence just about everything and everybody that followed in rock. He may also have been the prototype for what fame can do.

He may not have been the King but he was one of the Founding Fathers.

Well, the Beatles and many of the British invasion bands have spend an exorbitant amount of time talking about him and comparatively little talking about anyone else. Elvis made it cool for white kids to make black music.

Guest farnsbarns

is it just me or is/was elvis seriously overated?

No, me to, he did some catchy pop songs and I like a couple of them but the fuss around him is OTT to my mind.

If not for Elvis there would have been no Beatles.

Really? Now I like him even less!

Many opinions expressed and all relevant....

My own perceptions if you will

Elvis did appeal very much to the ladies...as a young boy I found the music a bit boring...probably due to overplay on radio etc

He had soul and 'sang black' effectively for the masses

Scotty was OK on guitar but I preferred Hank with the Shadows and Cliff (IMO a lighter more upbeat style with greater variety)

Cliff is still alive and a national treasure to some.....Elvis was less well cared for and mentored to handle the relatively new superstar phenomenon

Elvis touched the heart, and was a role model to many aspiring male artists...perhaps naively....

All in all a great rock innovator and focus for starstruck fantasies

RIP Elvis....man with a huge heart and a huge talent....

V

:-({|=

I think people forget or don't even know (because they're too young)it hadn't been done before. Elvis was ground breaking.

Think of the ipad being ground breaking. That's nothing. It's like inventing a tablet that you can swallow that teaches you to play.

Sounds stupid eh? Well a white man doing black music was just as stupid then. Elvis was and is the KING. You may not like him or his music.

But we wouldn't be where we are in music without him and others like him.

Guest farnsbarns

I think people forget or don't even know (because they're too young)it hadn't been done before. Elvis was ground breaking.

Think of the ipad being ground breaking. That's nothing. It's like inventing a tablet that you can swallow that teaches you to play.

Sounds stupid eh? Well a white man doing black music was just as stupid then. Elvis was and is the KING. You may not like him or his music.

But we wouldn't be where we are in music without him and others like him.

Not true, IMHO.

My father was well established playing in Daddy Paul's band in New Orleans long before Elvis came to the spot light, as were many other white musicians, Cuff Bullet, John Paddon and Ken Colyer come to mind.

The difference, IMO, was they did it for the music and there was no hugely invested PR machine behind it. Elvis came along at the right time when the record companies wanted to tap the black styles but wanted a white man as the image.

Not true, IMHO.

My father was well established playing in Daddy Paul's band in New Orleans long before Elvis came to the spot light, as were many other white musicians, Cuff Bullet, John Paddon and Ken Colyer come to mind.

Yes, and no one's heard of any of them so they were never much of an influence on pop music.

Guest farnsbarns

Yes, and no one's heard of any of them so they were never much of an influence on pop music.

Ouch! :P Well 2 of those are perhaps a tad obscure but Ken Colyer? Really?

I may be strange but I see (or hear) 2 direct chains that cross at rock n roll.

1. New Orleans jazz -> Dixie Land -> Big band and swing bands.

And...

2. Delta blues -> blues -> Chicago style blues.

Combined to become rock n roll which in turn became pop.

Archived