Gibson Brands Forums

To Hang, or not to Hang...Hmm

stagger

Hey Guys, Im thinking about hanging up my new LP on the wall with one of the mounts designed to hang them by the neck.

My question is, it is safe for the Guitar over time to be hung this way?

I know music stores hang them, but thats for short term until they sell em.

Just trying to see what better for the Guitar, stand or wall mount as I ve heard good and bad for both???

Welcome to the forum [thumbup]

A similiar post to this came up a few months ago, but the general agreement was that it was entirely safe as long as it was attached to the wall properly.

The neck can hold the weight of the guitar (Partially thanks to the Truss Rod) and I've heard of no neck snapping incidents caused while hung on the wall.

The only downside is Dust & moisture but as long as you keep them clean its not an issue...

Hope that helps.

A similiar post to this came up a few months ago, but the general agreement was that it was entirely safe as long as it was attached to the wall properly.

The neck can hold the weight of the guitar (Partially thanks to the Truss Rod) and I've heard of no neck snapping incidents caused while hung on the wall.

The only downside is Dust & moisture but as long as you keep them clean its not an issue...

Hope that helps.

Awesome,Just what I wanted to hear. thanks for the fast reply.

I've had my acoustic (although not as heavy as a les paul) for about 2 years now... I had my high school senior teachers sign it so it became a memorbila. Anyway it is still very much playable, as long as the strings are changed... as the post above states it gets dirtly ergo alot more attention is required for the cleaning and maintaince... but with that aside its not broken, neck is straight as an arrow and still plays like the first day I bought it.

On a side note if you are serious about keeping your guitar clean try to get one of those glass cases

Hope that helps.

Ditto on SolidSnake's response. One word of caution though. Make sure when you hang up the guitar each time that you take care that you place it properly. Haste makes waste. It's a farther drop to the floor than from a stand. Perhaps this sounds silly, but all it takes is one mistake. Your wife is calling you, the telephone rings, someone comes to the door. Anything that makes you hurry and inadvertently place the guitar in the hanger wrong and down she comes. I prefer a good stand and a case for when the day is done.

Agree with the above, all true.

My understanding that the downside to either Stand or Wall Mount is:

1. Stand - The Earth's Gravitational field will pull the Guitar downward,

eventually causing the "arms" the body is resting on to seperate. This will

result in the guitar dropping downward, striking the strap pin and fracturing

the neck joint.

2. Wall Mount - Your drunk friends will bump guitar(s), causing them to swing

back and forth like wind chimes in a Hurricane, striking each other and fracturing

the neck joint.

Jus' Keeding - either way is great, just might get dusty, and watch out for pets

that can knock git on stand over....

WELCOME to the Forum!!!!!!!

If you use a stand, make sure you screw it solidly into the studs. There is no anchor in drywall that is secure enough to hang a guitar.

I keep all my guitars in the case because I have four kids, two cats, and one large dog at home. Also, I am a klutz.

Archived