Gibson Brands Forums

Chipotle

grampa

I just read a story on one of the news lines about the refried beans at Chipotle restaurants. It seems that they use a "little" pork in their refrieds but not in their black beans for the benefit of vegans. If anyone orders a nonmeat item they mention that the black beans are vegan but not the pintos. Well there was a customer who had been eating there for quite a while before she knew this. She wasn't vegan but because of "cultural" reasons did not eat pork but did eat other meat so she always had the pintos. When she found out they contained pork she twittered a message about how she is suddenly very ill feeling knowing she had been eating pork for years.

My question I guess is: Why is she suddenly sick because of the knowledge of eating pork and secondly: How in heck can you call it Mexican food without the lard?

We're really doomed.

People often say "it made them sick" as a statement of regret in other words she doesn't belive in eating pork so she's sick about the concept of unknowingly eating pork. It doesn't mean she feels physically ill because she ate pork in the past. :blink:

A lot of people get upset nowadays when something they think you be vegetable or healthy isn't most Americans have no clue what's in refried beans. Let alone all the bugs in the cereals and flour and all the other crap they eat because they have never seen food produced.

People often say "it made them sick" as a statement of regret in other words she doesn't belive in eating pork so she's sick about the concept of unknowingly eating pork. It doesn't mean she feels physically ill because she ate pork in the past. :blink:

A lot of people get upset nowadays when something they think you be vegetable or healthy isn't most Americans have no clue what's in refried beans. Let alone all the bugs in the cereals and flour and all the other crap they eat because they have never seen food produced.

I'm thinking if she has any particular belief-based dietary considerations she shouldn't be eating in almost any restaurant and probably any "factory" food.

What? Bugs are high in protein. [biggrin]

I'm thinking if she has any particular belief-based dietary considerations she shouldn't be eating in almost any restaurant and probably any "factory" food.

That's my thought too.

The flip side that I can see is when I go back to my hometown in rural Michigan. Your choices are chain restaurants, greasy dinners that probably get their meats and stuff from the same factories that chains do, or eat at home. If you're looking for quick and convenient, chain restaurants may be your only choice in 90% of this country.

You guys need to get hip to Freebirds. They're only in Texas but I swear it blows away Chipotle. Great ambience, great food. Just great all around.

Is it cilantro city? If so, I won't go. It's the only food (and I use that term loosely) I won't eat.

I like cilantro but it is one of those things that people either like a lot or dislike a lot. Like broccoli.

I genuinely can't taste/identify cilantro at all. For me it neither enhances, or takes anything away from, a meal.

I love refried beans though [drool] .

Archived