Gibson Brands Forums

speechless

j45nick

I know I've talked about this a bit, but I picked up two of my Gibsons today from Ross Teigen, who has had them for the last couple of months. I am absolutely speechless at the quality of his work. It was sort of like Christmas for me.

First, I pulled out my '68 ES 335-12 which was in for a neck re-set. Prior to my buying it, this was a one-owner guitar that sat under the bed for 40 years. Its condition is extraordinary, but the bridge was cranked all the way down, and the action was still a bit high for my taste. 12-strings do not take well to sitting with full string tension for 40+ years.

Now, it is perfect, and the sound will just make you laugh out loud. Think the Stones "As Tears Go By". Think Roger McGuinn (yeah, I know that's a Ric 360-12, but the ES 335-12 has it all over that guitar, with the right pickups). Think "Eight Days a Week". Think the We Five doing Sylvia Fricker's "You Were on my Mind". Think Ian and Sylvia's Canadian version of the "wall of sound", with six-string, 12-string, and autoharp. Thinks bells. Think chimes. Think I'm kidding?

What an absolute trip!

Then, it was time for the main course. I was one of those kids who ate the "cake" of their chocolate cake first, and saved the chocolate icing for last. Ross had sent me a couple of pictures of my 1948 J-45, so I sort of knew what to expect. But I opened the case, and my hands just shook. I couldn't even take the guitar out of the case, I was so afraid I would drop it. I had a lump in my throat as big as an apple. How can you cry over a piece of wood and steel, even if you've owned it for almost 50 years?

It is absolutely beautiful. I just turned it over in my hands, and stared at it from one end to the other. I know Ross must have thought I was absolutely nuts, but I could barely bring myself to play it, she was so beautiful.

He warned me it would take some time for the guitar to re-open, as the new nitro top finish would slowly lose mass while it fully cured. But I can tell you, she sounds really sweet already.

I have to wipe the grin off my face, and take pictures to post them. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to photograph a guitar?

More when I can pry myself away from it.

In the meantime, I can vouch for the fact that Ross Teigen, luthier, is an absolute genius.

Congratulations - it is great to hear someone does good work when we often hear lots of problems.

With photographing the guitars - try not to use a standard flash. That is a killer. Put them on a stand near a window in the early morning to catch some natural light perhaps?

BluesKing777.

It isn't hard to imagine the enchanted moment when you opened the 45 case. The reunion must have been, , , almost holy. Especially when you picked it up and strummed the first chords or notes (what were they).

This is a very unique journey – did you ever read The Little Tin-Soldier by Hans Christian Andersen. I'm not kiddin', it's that kind of romantic tale.

Thanx for sharing and hep for the new incarnation.

I sense we gonna hear more – and new chapters will be welcome. . .

- yes it's almost impossible to get both dimensions and surface right when trying to take pictures indoors. I just shot over 50 attempts to capture my '63 SJ.

The absolutely right-tuned angle will do

- yes it's almost impossible to get both dimensions and surface right when trying to take pictures indoors. I just shot over 50 attempts to capture my '63 SJ.

The absolutely right-tuned angle will do

Yes - it is useless - I have taken many, many many shots to try and show my unusual bridge pins to make everybody a bit jealous, but so far the photos look like a bad advert in eBay...

BluesKing777.

Nick,

If that ain't just the "purdiest" sunburst!!! The thrill of an old pal & a new guitar all in one, what could be better. Did it ever look that great? Happy Old Guitar Day would be in order for sure. Nothing like when a best ol' friend comes back home to stay.

Yes, lets us know contact info for Ross. I may have some work for him in the future. Great photo's BTW. Hope I can shoot some like that on my gits sometime.

Aster

If you've had that guitar for 50 yrs hope you can still appreciate the card and her, er-uh, guitar! :rolleyes:

HNGD.jpg

Beautiful work! Where is Ross located?

Ross is in Naples, Florida. His contact information is:

Teigen Guitars

830 11th St. NW

Naples, FL 34120

email: teigenguitars@comcast.net

phone: (239) 455-5724

He no longer maintains a website: says he just doesn't have time.

Archived